need new turbo

explosive

I have a stock turbo thats lealing oil into my intercooler. I am looking at the 5862 cea but have heard nothing about it yet. I have a 202/202 flat tappet cam,70mm throttle body,rjc 325 front mount, walbro and hotwire,volt booster, 2800 vigilante thats at 2650 at 0 boost and 2850 at 1 lb. according to my scanmaster. I have TT chip and 42lb injectors, razors alchy. Champion irons and 60lb injectors are in my future along with 206 roller. im planning on 11.5 second street car. spool is most important. would the 5862 spool better than 6262. ball bearing or journal. and do i have enough convertor for either. Thanks in advance

For an 11.5 you would probably be ok with the 58 turbine wheel or equal. We
You may want to consider the 5831 that Kevin S just bought.

I just installed a Precision Billet 5858 JB on a car with some mods. Home ported irons, 212 flat tappet cam, Precision Vigilante converter that stalls at 2800@0/1 psi, and alky. the car is set a 20 psi per the owner. Stock intercooler and 3"downpipe. 60's and a extender chip. Very impressed with it. I would pick it over 6262 if spool is a concern on your current setup. However, when you go to the good heads, cam, and have the timing and fueling right down low it will spool the 6262 with no problem. How much boost do plan on running? Cars will spool faster with more tension on the rod, high psi actuators, or RJC type boost controllers.

If you go with the 5862 stick with the 206/206 cam and it would probably spool pretty good with your converter. If you want to upgrade your converter to the 2800-3200 range and a 206/212 cam you could go with a 6262 or a 6265 but that would be a little over kill for 11.5

I have a 4431 that I believe is now called a 5831 on my car, and it is downright violent on the street.:)

I have a 4431 that I believe is now called a 5831 on my car, and it is downright violent on the street.:)

TE44 is a 5831 wheel. I too have it on the street and it works great. To the OP, stick with the 58mm compressor for your goals if you want to keep the stock bottom end as it's a pretty easy and fast combo that doesn't tear up parts. See sig but I haven't gone 11.5's yet with my combo but the mph is more than there to do so. I run stock internals and things are holding up well. I'm planning a 6266 in the future though, but not until I get a built motor to go with it. If you're not running a TE44 at over 25psi, then you don't need anything bigger unless you have heads etc and need the extra flow. Even then, a TE44 would feed a good breathing motor to 20psi ok I would think. I'm sure others will chime in.

As was mentioned above I just installed a 5831 and I absolutely love it. I push it pretty hard at 28-30psi with alchy b/c my engine is all stock except pocket ported heads and it is very happy at these upper boost levels with my combo, and you can really feel it. Since you have a larger cam you can get away with less boost and it will probably produce enough power to run low 11's to high tens.

As far as throttle response it's just a tad slower than the stock turbo up to around 4 psi but after that it's violent as mentioned above.

I did a writeup on this turbo in this forum if you want more of my thoughts on it, just do a search for 5831.

KS

Thanks for all the input, Im going to keep my convertor because its fairly new and about as loose as id like. I do have the rjc boost controller and plan on about 25 lbs of boost or so. The 5831 and 5858 seem like good choices and if i went with them id go journal. If i go with the 5862 it would be ball bearing. Just curious why nobody is using it as far as i have read. wouldnt the 5862 spool better than the 6262 or is it just the last 2 numbers that determine that? Didnt think id be buying a new turbo yet so im trying to get as much info as i can. Thanks again

for 11.5 all the turbo's mentioned will do it,no need for a 206/206 and champion irons.the smaller turbine will give you quickest spool,but if you decide to go faster you will be buying a bigger turbo down the road so be sure of the 11.50.if your not sure buy a bigger turbo now.

I know absolutely nothing about turbos so I don't know how the 5831, 5858 and 5862 even compare with regards to HP potential but I would be curious and how they differ.

Also, if you want something that spools very quickly then use the smaller turbos otherwise there will be more lag = less fun on the street. IMO, I prefer to have very fast spoolup so I prefer to run the smaller turbos and just run them harder and use alchy to cool the air.

ks

I've got a fresh 5857cea with garrett .63 for sale in my sig. It will spool fast with a 2600 stall.