Need new printer reccomendations

NEAL BREW

My printer just crapped itself today. I'm looking to get a new one but know little about them. Mine was a cheap lensmark $39 job from walmart. I need a reasonable priced unit that can print photos. TIA

I just bought an Epson 300M. It's a great photo printer, paid about 200 buck at Office Depot

Printers

I have only used HP's. They are tougher than a $2 steak and never go south but you have to take care of them.

I detest inkjet printers. They are absolutely insanely expensive to operate. If you don't need color, buy a laser printer. They can be had for under $300 now. I've had a laser printer for 6 years and am still on the 2nd cartridge (about $60 each). If you DO print color, you might consider a color laser. Refurbished ones are now available in the $300 range, and new ones for just over $500 if you shop around. Cartridges (3 different ones, same as inkjet) are in the $60-$80 range, but print many hundreds or even over 1000 pages. You may be happy with inkjet, I don't know....but I'm cheap. I bought one recently, and have regretted it because with even just a small amount of printing have had to buy black refills for it twice already. The first one that comes with it is small in most cases to quickly make you buy a refill. Refilling is an option with some, but some printers can't be refilled either - research before you buy.

Just my opinion, and a bit of a rant.
Executive summary: Ink is not expensive, nor are the cartridges - we're being taken advantage of.

I bought a new Colour InkJet Printer not too long ago.

I was gonna get just a normal one, but opted for a scanner/fax/printer in one.

Its a... Lexmark X6150

Can print fast, and prints very good quality, as well as scan incredibly well.

HP photosmart 7760, love it! even has a cool little lcd screen so you dont even need your computer on to see the photos you want to print. i think its about 200.

HP DeskJet 5150. Any model with 5150 in it can't be all that bad, unless you're a true VH fan...

I just bought an Epson 300 as well. I decided to not get the HP simply because it has 1 ink cartridge for all colors. So if you use up one color you need to buy a new one even though you have 5 other colors that are still usable.

Epson has 6 different color ink cartridges and when a color runs out you buy another. It tells you when printing how much ink is left in each.

They really got you by the b*lls to get more ink though with any printer. I've printed 100+ color 4x6 gloss pictures and a few full size ones in color and my cartridges are about toast. At $14/pop it will add up when the time comes to replace.

The picture quality is as good if not better than a photo processing place. Incredible quality IMO.

I got it for $179 plus a $20 rebate at BestBuy. 100 4x6 sheets of glossy paper is about $16. Probably cheaper online.

-Mark