Need help with 1987 Grand National value

Jay Wicks

I'm looking at a 87 Grand National. This Gn has 79,000 miles on it and has a dealer installed sunroof, concert sound with eq, and power seat. Car has had one repaint, paint looks good, still shines, one small thumbnail size ding in drivers door, 2 or 3 paint chips on sunroof outer frame. Interior is clean and looks good. Some scarring on leather steering wheel. Car is mostly stock, maf pipe and k-n filter, and one of the adjustable chips, conley, atr, kenne-bell, etc. I do not see any rust.
The bad: Car has not run in around 7 years, at that time the gas tank was removed, and is missing. It will need a new tank, pump, tank straps, and fuel filter. No battery, so it will need a battery. Tires are shot, will need a set of 4 new tires. I was told the car ran well when parked, but don't know if it will need anything else at this time. Still has the origional powermaster. Sorry, no pictures.
I haven't followed the GN prices in awhile, so all imput is appreciated!

If a car won't run under it's own power you have to assume the worst: that the engine is defective. If the seller is giving it away, great. If he wants top dollar he'll need to put a tank in it and prove his claim. Simple as that. Otherwise you could be $7,000 - $8,000 in the hole immediately.

Very good advice, thank you, John!
Unfortunately, seller is not able to work on the car at this time. Trying to establish a value for the car.
The car would be sold "as is"........

$7,000. Maybe a contingency to $10,000 if it runs/drives after you put a tank in it. If it didn't have the aftermarket sunroof it would be worth more IMO.

First,drop a battery in it and see if she turns over,if all sounds ok then plan on at least 3,000 in parts and tires. New tank fuel pump, straps, hot wire kit,filter, new maff set up ect ect ect.You will probably have more than 3,000 in it just get running. Also where is car, rusted lines also get very exspensive. I would low ball at 5,000 and possibly got to 6500. Also have to take into consideration all the labor to do all this work, not to mention all the aggravation. Good luck hope you come out with a nice deal for yourself, thanks Gene.

Ask yourself: Why would a perfectly running GN get parked for 7 years? There was a time when the Pmaster was going out guys didn't know what to do but that was a long time ago now. More than 7 years ago. Has it been in garage or sitting outside? I would assume inside as paint looks good. Even inside if the area is humid you worry about cyl walls rusting etc. Careful on this one.

^^ Exactly. Why would someone park a perfectly running car? I would go one step further and presume that there is either an engine issue, trans issue or electrical issue. I think under $5k for the car is reasonable because you're going to have to spend to get it running. And then spend more to get it running right. And then spend more to getting it running like the monster it was meant to be.

I'd offer between 5 and $5500. I think if you offer below 5 he might blow you off right away.

The sunroof kills any resale. Tank out and gone means lines exposed. Its a 2500 gamble at best. There are running examples for 5-7 k. Id offer 1k and my reasons . New tank,lines. Clean injectors and install. Radiator, heater core flush possible replace from sitting. Tires, brake check and powermaster ? Thats going to be expensive even if you do all the work. This is assuming drivetrain is good? Id keep looking

The sunroof kills any resale. Tank out and gone means lines exposed. Its a 2500 gamble at best. There are running examples for 5-7 k. Id offer 1k and my reasons . New tank,lines. Clean injectors and install. Radiator, heater core flush possible replace from sitting. Tires, brake check and powermaster ? Thats going to be expensive even if you do all the work. This is assuming drivetrain is good? Id keep looking
Agreed

Agree^^^
My first thot, when reading this post, if it was running well, why was the tank taken out??
I'd look at it's value as a parts car. And if lucky, end up with a running, driving Gn, for a reasonable cost.

Thanks to everyone for your replys. I appreciate your imput. Seller has decided to keep the car.

Well,aint that just a kick in the ass,dont get to down much better deal just around the corner. Might even have a fuel tank. :)