Need Help to Pass Emissions

t-topflyer

I have a 3 inch downpipe, testpipe and 2 and 3/4 inch catback exhaust from full throttle network on my TR. I cannot get the testpipe off because the front clamp was clamped so tight that it creased it together with the downpipe. Even if I could get it off, there is not enought room between the end of the downpipe and the front of the exhaust to put the stock catalytic converter back in. To get the car tagged, I have to pass emissions. Any suggestions on what I can do? thanks

I'm not saying that I do it, but it's possible that one may put their stock DP and stock Cat back on when it's time for emissions testing and then take it off again when the test is passed.

I'm not saying that I do it, but it's possible that one may put their stock DP and stock Cat back on when it's time for emissions testing and then take it off again when the test is passed.

If only I had a stock downpipe

Could a muffler shop help you with it? I had 3-bolt header flanges put on my test pipe and cat converter, so I can just bolt them in and out.

I have a 3 inch downpipe, testpipe and 2 and 3/4 inch catback exhaust from full throttle network on my TR. I cannot get the testpipe off because the front clamp was clamped so tight that it creased it together with the downpipe. Even if I could get it off, there is not enought room between the end of the downpipe and the front of the exhaust to put the stock catalytic converter back in. To get the car tagged, I have to pass emissions. Any suggestions on what I can do? thanks

I would just cut the test pipe off at the downpipe because you will probably end up ruining it anyway trying to pry it off the downpipe, just buy a new test pipe and be sure to use a band clamp instead of a muffler clamp and that won't happen again,(crimped on downpipe). As far as the stock cat fitting it won't, I had the same problem with my car. I ended up buying a smaller aftermarket cat, a stock cat is like 18 1/2" inches, I think I bought a 12 or 13" cat to fit in there for emissions.

Similar to the problem I had. The factory cat had been tightened to the point of doing that, and it couldn't be removed when time came to replace it. So, just cut it off, and welded a 3 bolt header flange onto the downpipe and on the front of the new cat.

exhaust

you could always just buy a 3 inch cat and be done with it..;) it can be a real pain changing the test pipe every other year. a pipe expander will take the crease out of the inside of the pipe.

how about just puttin historic tags on the car and forgeting about all that emissions stuff;) best thing i ever did to the car, cost less to renew and no more rotten eggs after hard pulls! of course ur state may be different from mine! i drive it everyday, supposebly there r some restrictions but i guess maryland doesnt really care too much because all they did was give me the tags, didnt take mileage or give me a speech on what i can and cannot do!

Find a stock downpipe and cat. I can swap my Terry Houston downpipe to the stocker in about 25 minutes :). If you have a local turbo regal mechanic, chances are he has a pile of them next to the dumpster.

I cut some slots in the stock cat where it meets the stock downpipe, now it just slips on and off.

Either that or get a cat for your downpipe - tough to pass without a cat, plus they may have a visual check as well.

I am having trouble finding a 3 inch catalytic converter that is close to the size of the test pipe at 12 and 3/8 inches. I contacted Red Armstrong where the Down Pipe and Test Pipe came from, but they don't make them at this time. Also tried randomtechnology and the smallest they have is 15 and 1/2 inches. Any help would be great.