Need help - playing with an ebay phisher!

tjthorson

OK, so I bid on a lot of stuff on ebay, with low bids, just in case I can get a deal. So, I bid like $500 on this popup camper. It went for $1400. I have been in contact with the seller, they confirmed it sold and was picked up. The reason I contacted the seller, was I got this email:
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 10:43 AM
To: todd@toddware.com
Subject: eBay Second Chance Offer Item# 200002261352

Your expressed interest in an item titled:1993 Jayco Jay Series 1008 Fold Down Camper w/Awning!, Item number:200002261352 by bidding,however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder.In compliance with eBay policy,the seller of that item is making this Second Chance Offer to you at your bid price of US $501.33.The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction.If you accept this offer,you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction,such as fraud protection.To purchase this item please contact the seller at this e-mail: adambalwin1@yahoo.com or just reply at this e-mail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I notice right away that the emails don't match - and it would be unlikely a seller that actually had bids of up to $1400 would seel for $500. So, I need a break from my daily stressors, so I reply:
So, did your first bidder back out? I may be interested. Let me know!

I assume the wheels and tires are OK to tow it back to Chicago....

Todd
About 10 minutes later, I get:
Hello,
The winner of my auction didn't pay for the item and ebay advised me to use Second Chance Offer to sell my product.If you are interested and want to go ahead with the transaction please let me know. I'll contact eBay and you'll receive from them an invoice with our transaction and also instructions regarding the payment method. Everything is made through eBay.The eBay will be totally responsible if anything should happen to our transaction and there for you or me will not have any
loss! I need your full name and full address for shipping so that eBay can contact you.
Also, a refund policy will be included.The camper is inspected.. and everything is ready to go on it.Looking forward to hear from you .
Thank you
So - I lay it on thick and heavy - I am just a dummy on the world wide web jungle, ready to be taken, hook, line and sinker!
Wow - you are going to ship it to me, too??? For $500? Awesome, thanks a lot. Sorry your other bidder didn't follow through - you seem like a really nice guy.

Ebay should have my address on file, don't you think?

Let me know when I can expect the shipment of the camper! I will send a paypal right away!

Todd
And then I get back:
Hi,
I`m personaly located in United Kingdom ....The camper is located home in USA and I will arrange to be shipped it to you ...no problems...
Because i'm not in the country this transaction will be arranged bye ebay.
You have the opportunity to purchase this item at your last bid price .
The ex winner had some problems and couldn't handle the situation (he told me something about his daughter being sick), so following eBay's suggestion, I've contacted you this way.
Because I'm not in the country this transaction will be arranged bye ebay and they seed that I need from you your:
- eBay ID and full name and address.......
as soon as I have them I'll start the official procedure, and eBay will notify you about this. You'll also receive important guidelines + instructions from them (please go through them exactly).
I'll handle the shipping, so this will be free of charge for you.
Also, a refund policy will be included.The camper is inspected.. and everything is ready to go on it.Looking forward to hear from you .
Regards...
The only part missing is the "Western Union Moneygram" part. :)

So - I bring to the Buick brethren and brethrenesses - I need ideas for the next reply. Fake addy? That will stop the fun too quick. Maybe ask about the UK and locations and stuff to pinpoint a location and claim I am going to travel there?

Give me some ideas - we can have fun together.

tell the nigerian or russian or whatever con artist, to pls ship you the camper and that you promise to send him a personal check. ;)

HTML:
Because I'm not in the country this transaction will be arranged bye ebay and they seed that I need from you your:

What tipped you off that hes from another country? :confused:
I dont think he ever lived in the US. Ask him where in the US he lived and why he went to the UK. Is he military? This has scam all over it!! Just watch you email address, they can get alot of info from your email and possibly hack your computer. Let us know what happens. ;)

Ask him if the Sh!ter has ever been used!

ask where the camper is located

then tell him your brother live 20 miles away,( from where ever he says its located) and will pick it up, and hand you cash, watch him squirm to figure out how to get your cash,

ha ha ha ha ha

OK - Latest email to our friend.

Great news!
You have been such a good person about shipping the camper for free. I tried to figure out the shipping on UPS website and it wouldn't even calculate it! You must be using a special service. A buddy at work here (I work in a tuna packing plant in Chicago) is going to be travelling up to Lake Geneva for the weekend. He will be right in your area, and is going to pick up the camper for me! This way it will save you money on the shipping. So, he will be going up there on Saturday July 8th and returning on July 15th. He can come on any of those days that week as he will just be hanging out with family up there. He will have cash, so that will save on the ebay and paypal fees too!

His name is Rick Smith, and he drives a Blue Ford Bronco. He has a 2" ball hitch, is that what the camper takes? If not, he has a 1 7/8 with him as well.
All I need is the address to go pick up the camper and a date and time that works for you (or whoever is here in the United States.) I already gave Rick some gas money for his trip for towing the camper for me. My wife and kids are very excited about the new camper and can't wait to see it! thank you so much for your help! Let me know as soon as you can about the address so I can let Rick know where to go.

BTW - are you overseas on Military Duty? If so, thank you so much for your service to our Country in eliminating the world of those worthless terrorists.

Thanks again!
Todd

OK - got a reply....

You can pick it up but untill i see the payment done you won`t.I will need the money here and you need to send them via western union.Sorry but my plan was that ebay will do this deal because the reason i am not in the states.Please let me know...

And my reply - some ideas of which is taken from http://www.419eater.com/

OK. I need the information for the Western Union on where to send it. I have never done that before. Do I just go to a Western Union place and give them the money?

Also, I called my insurance company and setup the insurance on it. But, my agent needs the number on the trailer that registers it to the state. Can someone please send me that number? It should be on the title, or they can read it on the trailer. I know you are not here - but maybe ask the person that Rick is going to meet when he picks it up.

And, we can leave it in ebay - I feel safer about the deal using ebay. I have always had good dealings with ebay people. Thanks again for your help. I will stop at Western Union on my way home if I get the info in time.

PS - I called my grandmother about the trailer too. My whole family is very excited to see it. They really like camping.

Thank you,
Todd

See if he would take a laptop in exchange for the camper and send him a phony laptop like the one guy did to a scammer a few years ago.

David
87GN

you need to keep an eye on all your info.i did this game to a scammer and he tapped into my paypal and me ebay account and listed a lot of stuff under my user id.just aheads up :)