Need help getting to start

JeremysGN

I'm trying to finish a nearly four year long project with my 87 GN. Got the motor in and everythings hooled up now, but I have had everything (dash included) out of the car & gutted at one time or another. I had the short block assembled by a local machine shop, but I index the cam and assembled the rest. Trying to get it to start now but I get occasional backfire and seems like its hitting on maybe two or three cylinders. I set the cam sensor as shown in the GNTTYPE artical at 1.45 " after top dead center. I don't have a scan tool to test anything, just a good Fluke multimeter. I've check the TPS and it reads good for idle, a little low for full throttle but I'm just trying to get it started. Could my ECM be badand is there a way to test it. Any other tips would help. THANKS Jeremy

Cam sensor adjustment, been there and done that. Try moving it a bit one way, if that doesn't get it then go the other way.

make sure you set it with the meter also make sure your not 180 deg. out

cam sensor

I though from the GNTTYPE site the car would still run even if it was 180 out. The fuel will just puddle on the valves & it won't perform right.