need help Faulty PROM code 51

82gn

i have 1982 gm 11851 miles turbo grand national my check engine is on any idea :confused: Faulty PROM code 51 thanks

Maybe the chip came loose, check it. You should change to a TT chip, the stock chip has poor warm up mixtures and too much timing for today;s fuel. Unplug the oraange wire at the battery and reset the computer see if it comes back.

If my memory serves me correctly, the 82 uses an oddball ECM and even more oddball chip. I believe it's a clear chip carrier which extends into the ECM from the outer housing, maybe an inch deep. The PROM chips are no longer available and the ECM's are even more difficult to find. They were GM's first attempt at computer controlled vehicles. Nobody makes aftermarket chips for this style of ECM.

I would check for oxidation on both sides of the chip leads, and also on the bulkhead connector that plugs into the ECM. As I remember, the ECM's kind of rust out and pick up major corrosion throughout.

82 gn

thanks ;)

If my memory serves me correctly, the 82 uses an oddball ECM and even more oddball chip. I believe it's a clear chip carrier which extends into the ECM from the outer housing, maybe an inch deep. The PROM chips are no longer available and the ECM's are even more difficult to find. They were GM's first attempt at computer controlled vehicles. Nobody makes aftermarket chips for this style of ECM.

I would check for oxidation on both sides of the chip leads, and also on the bulkhead connector that plugs into the ECM. As I remember, the ECM's kind of rust out and pick up major corrosion throughout.

82 turbo gn

Hi,
You have a very rare car there, as most were normally aspirated,I think. My car was originally carbed/turbo,but the ecm and prom are long gone. It is an '83 anyway,don't know if they would have been the same. Anyway, code 51 is a prom error code which usually sets due to poor connections. As the guys have already suggested, try cleaning the contacts and reinstalling the prom. Rebuilders will be happy to tackle your ecm if this doesn't work. Good luck with your issue!
Dale

82 gn

thanks bro do u have any tips how to clean the conectors or what 2 clean on ecm :confused:

Hi,
You have a very rare car there, as most were normally aspirated,I think. My car was originally carbed/turbo,but the ecm and prom are long gone. It is an '83 anyway,don't know if they would have been the same. Anyway, code 51 is a prom error code which usually sets due to poor connections. As the guys have already suggested, try cleaning the contacts and reinstalling the prom. Rebuilders will be happy to tackle your ecm if this doesn't work. Good luck with your issue!
Dale

problem solve thanks all u guys for all coments place in this topic i just finish checking the ecm on my car the chip was loose

Maybe the chip came loose, check it. You should change to a TT chip, the stock chip has poor warm up mixtures and too much timing for today;s fuel. Unplug the oraange wire at the battery and reset the computer see if it comes back.