Need help ASAP

VadersV6

I got home last night, and shut my radio off. The power antenna didnt go down. Instead, the antenna motor kept spinning and spinning very quickly and wouldnt stop. I turned the radio on and off, and even pushed down and twisted on the antenna, thinking something had been derailed. No such luck. I spent the next 45 minutes frantically trying to find a wire to kill power to this motor. I dont want to kill power to the radio. I just want to kill power to the motor until I can figure out what went wrong. I dont have the stock radio in it.
Anyway, I found my owners manual and looked at the fuses. I ended up having to pull the fuse that kills power to the antenna/radio condenser (whole radio doesnt turn on now)/interior lights/cig lighter/ etc. I need to fix this soon. Anyone know the wire to pull, to kill power to the motor? I want to still be able to listen to my CD's.
About 6 different things have gone wrong in the past week, and this is the one thing that I have no idea how to do. The major thing is, I do NOT want to pull the fender right now.

There is a connector on the inside of the fender, on passengers side, right near the ESC. It's connector C464, with three wires, white/dark grn/gray. It's pretty close to the top, you don't have to reach down far to find it.

How could I access this? I looked all over with the door open, and looked up from the bottom and everything. Looking under the car with a flashlight, I was able to kind of see a connector, but I saw no way of accessing it without pulling the fender. Does something under the hood have to be removed to access it? I've looked everywhere and cant really see anything that can be reached by hand.
When I had the radio installed, right away I noticed some strange behavior with the antenna. After about 15 seconds with the radio being on, the antenna would automatically drive itself back down, and I would lose radio signal. I took it back to the guys to make them fix it, but I couldnt get the car to do it again. Is there any sort of wiring problem with the radio that could cause the motor to spin, but not allow the antenna to drive up or down? I have no idea how it works.:confused:

I think there may be a relay on the passenger side kick panel (behind ECM) that may control the power antenae

The plug that Ormand mentioned is right below the antenna itself, under the hood. Pop the hood, stand near the antenna and look down. It is easily noticable. Just unplug it and leave it like that.

Thanks for the tips guys.
I found this on gnttype (god bless this site)http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/wiring_images/pwr_antenna_circuit.jpg
I pulled the GRY/DK GRN/WHT connector from the relay, and I had no frequency display on the radio. So I jumped the Gray to white with a paperclip. Everything works ok now. Just no power antenna. I wonder if the stereo guys botched something, or if there is a bad relay, or a bad motor.
Anyway, I have it figured out for now.

BTW, Last night I pulled every connector I had access to that lead towards the antenna. Not one of them fixed the problem. The connector I pulled to fix this was behind the glove box, on the right hand side. The connector is a horrible design. Impossible to disconnect.

These things are know to go bad. I finally hooked mine up after 3 or so years. It worked fine for a few months and then blew up. Mine just stays up all the time now. There is a writeup on gnttype that shows you how to fix it. Its major surgery though.

Originally posted by VadersV6
Thanks for the tips guys.
I found this on gnttype (god bless this site)http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/wiring_images/pwr_antenna_circuit.jpg
I pulled the GRY/DK GRN/WHT connector from the relay, and I had no frequency display on the radio. So I jumped the Gray to white with a paperclip. Everything works ok now. Just no power antenna. I wonder if the stereo guys botched something, or if there is a bad relay, or a bad motor.
Anyway, I have it figured out for now.
Yea they did, the display was grounding through the antenna and when you unplugged it you lost the ground. It is possible it is a problem with that model of stereo though. Some just aren't designed all that well.

The antenna problem has nothing to do with the stereo installers, just a horrible designed antenna. Both mine and my dad's are dead and fixed in the upright position. The display however, could be a bad ground, or bad conection with the face plate.

Well, all my antenna problems started when I picked my car up from the installer. I would drive down the road, and the antenna kept dropping down, like 10 seconds after it went up. Then I would lose the signal, have to shut the radio off, and then back on again to get the antenna to go back up. After awhile it started behaving normally. Then this happened.
The lack of a frequency readout didnt happen until I disconnected the antenna power connection. Then I jumped it and got the readout back. I'm not an electrical expert, but I think Ive got it set right, so I'm not sucking any juice when I shouldnt be. Electrical gurus may want to chime in.

Kirbans used to sell a switch that you could turn on and off the power antenna so when you were listening to cds or tapes (anceint) you could power down the antenna. When mine went bad I bought a replacement from a vendor and had a dealership install it. It cost about $100 back in 1996 money well spent cause I helped a friend do his later that year, what a pain.