Need advice for best way to really clean-up stock TTYPE wheels!

Antbankstwo3

I'm wanting to clean these wheels up and bring a "shine" back to them. Any suggestions other than water and soap?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5004.JPG
    IMG_5004.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 174
You will thank me when your done.dont let it sit on your wheels to long.
cf1929500e879ef1a9ae4463bebcbdc2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

That's some pretty strong stuff. Contains Hydrofluoric Acid. That's why it cleans so well. I spray it into a cup and dip a toothbrush in it and do a section at a time. Scrub it in all the pores, let it sit for a moment (don't let it dry) then rinse it off and move on to the next section. Since it's an acid it will make the shiny parts whitish if you get some on there. Then you'll have to followup with a light wet sand on the shiny parts. Maybe there is an easier way but that's how I do it and the results are pretty good. It's a pain but I only do it couple times a year.
t-wheel w:trans am center cap.jpg

That's some pretty strong stuff. Contains Hydrofluoric Acid. That's why it cleans so well. I spray it into a cup and dip a toothbrush in it and do a section at a time. Scrub it in all the pores, let it sit for a moment (don't let it dry) then rinse it off and move on to the next section. Since it's an acid it will make the shiny parts whitish if you get some on there. Then you'll have to followup with a light wet sand on the shiny parts. Maybe there is an easier way but that's how I do it and the results are pretty good. It's a pain but I only do it couple times a year.
View attachment 304923

Awesome! Thank u very much! Hope all is well.

"Shine" or really POP !!!???

Why not decide how exactly you want them to look and then have a local alloy wheel repair company do it for you?

Put your wheels in a completely different category from the rest. Your idea, your design. Far less headaches when you think about it. The guys who do this work are artists at heart, they like a challenge.

Your final cost would probably be in the $350-$500 range, depending on what you want..........and they will make them ROCK.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
"Shine" or really POP !!!???

Why not decide how exactly you want them to look and then have a local alloy wheel repair company do it for you?

Put your wheels in a completely different category from the rest. Your idea, your design. Far less headaches when you think about it. The guys who do this work are artists at heart, they like a challenge.

Your final cost would probably be in the $350-$500 range, depending on what you want..........and they will make them ROCK.

Just sayin'.

Either shine or pop would be acceptable. I drive the car, and there might even be times I'm out in the rain too since I'm in Washington State. So I'm not concerned about a show quality look. I drive the car any chance I get. Also, I don't mind doing the work as I like a challenge as well. So I'm looking for recommendations that would be best.

Thank u! I actually have some Billet Boyd Coddington's I'm CONSTANTLY buffing. I love them but it gets tiresome. Would this help a great deal?

I believe it would. 6 months so far on the RV aluminum rims and only a damp cloth and /or soap and water to clean. Makes them look polished again! :)
I bought the Mini Kit...was plenty for wheels. A little goes a long way.

Either shine or pop would be acceptable. I drive the car, and there might even be times I'm out in the rain too since I'm in Washington State. So I'm not concerned about a show quality look. I drive the car any chance I get. Also, I don't mind doing the work as I like a challenge as well. So I'm looking for recommendations that would be best.

Merely a suggestion. I can't say what's best for you, only you can do that.

Please, once you get them where you want them to be, show us the results and tell us the process you used. Or be all secretive about it........ don't want to come on here, ask for advise and then let nobody to steal your thunder and such, once you get it right..............;)

Honestly, good luck with whatever approach you take!:D

Last edited:
I wish I had a set to try it on... At work we have a dustless media blaster at work that uses walnut shells, crushed glass, soda, etc.
It is aggressive enough to remove rust and paint, or delicate enough to remove ink from a business card and not ruin the card stock.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Merely a suggestion. I can't say what's best for you, only you can do that.

Please, once you get them where you want them to be, show us the results and tell us the process you used. Or be all secretive about it........ don't want to come on here, ask for advise and then let nobody to steal your thunder and such, once you get it right..............;)

Honestly, good luck with whatever approach you take!:D

Most definitely I will! I'm not that way. I'm all about helping another especially here on the TB board as so many have helped me. I appreciate your suggestions as well. I'll definitely give it a go myself and if I dont like it then I'll prob seek a more professional route for sure.

Thank you again!