need advice about building 200r4

79monte

okay i had a very nice built 200r4, built to handle 450hp, it came to a very violent end at 103mph when the drive shaft seems to have let go and in the process cracked the bell housing off. i drove to pensilvania and picked up a stock 200r4 20k off a rebuild. i want to build this to handle the same as the old one. as far as i know i can reuse the shift kit. now will a shift kit on stock bands and cluthes hold that, or do i need all the good stuff. also i know it is not recomended or common practice but i only had about 3000 miles on that trans. and money is tight. could i use the clutches and everything from the built one, provided i pulled it all out and kept it in order. I am going to universal technical institute, and im gonna learn how to rebuild a tranny before i do it, right now my knowledge is limited. thankyou for your help.

Transfer the original internals into the new case. I would definitely do a thorough inspection before assembling it. Sent you a PM with info.....

i noticed that the output shaft is sloppy or loose on my first tranny and i checked the good one and its the same way. is that normal for these transmissions?

If it were mine, I wouldn't think twice about pulling the known good guts out and putting them into a new case.

ive had a few ppl say its fine to just swap parts, witch is awesome! can you guys think of any problems i might run into or certain things i should look for or pay special attention to?

ive had a few ppl say its fine to just swap parts, witch is awesome! can you guys think of any problems i might run into or certain things i should look for or pay special attention to?

You will have to check your end play on the forward drum and overdrive drum. There is a selective washer/spacer between the forward drum and the output shaft and one between the pump and the overdrive drum. There may be some slight differences in the cases.

(Be extremely careful, drive shaft failures usually are immediately followed by transmission Low Roller Clutch failures after shaft is repaired if it isnt already broke.)
This was posted by "Chris718" in another Thread about a Driveshaft failure.

Replace the stock forward drum with a billet piece. I just broke a stock one on a GN with ~ 300HP.. All the reputable transmission shops typically carry them.

Mike Banas
87GN

okay so im thingking a new a shift kit for the new tranny since im not sure what kind is in the old one and what they did to it, so i feel a new one would be good to avoid possible shifting problem headachs. and a new billet front drum. will the clutches and the rest of the tranny hold 400 hp? i only have 340 hp right now but with new heads im looking at the 400 hp range.

I have a good used billet drum and new shift kit if your interested let me know.$279.00 for both

unfortunetly i dont have to money to spend on it right now, so ill have to let that go, thankyou though. starting my new job monday so should have some money flowing then. i was thinking though the old tranny was built so it must have an aftermarket drum in it, so i should steal that one.

hey do you guys know if any of the shift kits for the 200-r4 involve modification to the valve body or the case? i just wanna know if i can take the valve body and spacer off my old tranny and put it on the new one without problems?

None of the new kits require Case or VB mods.
Should be a simple swap, including swapping Pump parts= TV & Low/Reverse boost valves, Pr. Reg. spring.

One of the old TransGo kits had an odd VB mod.