Need about 30-50 more HP

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
I know its been slow around here, but i need to get about 30-50 more horses for my 87 daily driver.

Here is what my daily driver runs in the 1/4 and puts down on the dyno..

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159591&highlight=556TQ

I was thinking along the lines of a roller cam and a set of rockers, i really dont want to add a different turbo or pull the heads off or add a different IC...
What im looking for is true horsepower to get the car going faster- other than cam, i could do a set of rockers...any REAL noticable numbers gained?
Just look at my dive right at 4800 rpm, the stock cam noses over and i lose all of my power..

It has a ATR downpipe with hooker cat back exhaust, SMC round bottle alky kit,ported lower intake, rjc power plate, TT chip 28° and 25° rebuilt trans and a 9-11 convertor...ported lower intake, new valve springs, 2 1/2 hooker cat back with the turbo flow mufflers. Needs a ram air kit.

Obviously a turbo and IC would be the first things to do, but im taking the other route and need some tips, this car went 11.19 with a te44... i want it to run that with a stock turbo..

Has anyone acutally gone faster with the RJC Pulleys?
I know it needs a diet, ive been on one for the past year and a half...
New 6.0 goats look fast, i need mo power....

You never said what IC you did have but if its stock, and upgraded one is an easy 20hp right there.

Do you have a test pipe?

The 70mm TB and Plenum were nice additions and gained me 3psi = 30 HP and at least 40lbs TQ.

I think ram air is a waste considering you have an alky kit, save your money.
I would upgrade to a Z06 maf and translator. That helped spool up a tad and was probably worth 10-15hp right there due to the backpressure drop at the maf.

If you need test pipe, and do the 70mm with the maf upgrade, that car will spool like a beast and then you will need some major traction :D

My car does have the OE intercooler, it is not altered in any way but one screen removed for more power in the MAF-
Honestly i dont know why i didnt consider a better MAF system,....... can anyone guarantee more power with what ever setup with a new LS1 SETUP?

Surely the dutt neck isnt really worth 20 HP? Yes it has a test pipe and i ALWAYS run full exhaust.

i had to remove a RJC turbo bleeder system on my car because the tires would not hold, first gear was tarded, so was second and a lil of third

BW

Dutt neck gained me 2psi, so 20hp and 30tq. Then I went to the FMIC and saw almost 4psi which makes the turbo much more efficient and not pumping out more heat and getting out of its efficiency island.

Dutt neck and 70mm/plenum will get you what you need no prob, the Chevy mafs will give at least 10 HP as Mike from FTS just posted some backpressure readings after doing some tests on the new Maft Pro and it was pretty clear how much restriction there is in our inlet system alone.

DR.BOOSTER said:
Dutt neck gained me 2psi, so 20hp and 30tq. Then I went to the FMIC and saw almost 4psi which makes the turbo much more efficient and not pumping out more heat and getting out of its efficiency island.

Dutt neck and 70mm/plenum will get you what you need no prob, the Chevy mafs will give at least 10 HP as Mike from FTS just posted some backpressure readings after doing some tests on the new Maft Pro and it was pretty clear how much restriction there is in our inlet system alone.

I read that post about the new maft PRO, but honestly im sticking with Erics setup, thats my gut feeling...
I may have misread that, but i need honest back to back setups with the same chip to see if the restriction is the maf or the actual chip.
Well not to be a dickhole butt my car was faster than mikes with no expensive mods other than trans rebuild because it was running 11.1 and a te44 a few years ago.

I love these cars and hope to get a stock turbo best ever bracket going eventually.... Fast Eddie Brewer is #1 11.3 at 116 on pump gas and meth, that is the best ive ever seen with the stock turbo...
Its too easy to bolt on a better turbo and go faster, i think that is the route Mike Licht is taking... Happy b-day by the way..

I need more real power..

BW

Bryan, I read you linked post and saw the picture of your car. Nice! I don't doubt those numbers. I have the same car except no door molding. Mine has similar mods minus alky and downpipe. I plan on alky first and a reburn of my TT chip for the alky. I have also wondered about the RJC pulleys. I think they look awsome but would like to know if there is any hp in the weight loss. It seems reasonable that it would at least rev faster. What stall is your 9/11? Did you get to match you old 44 setup and then just left it when you went back to stock? Which ATR dp do you have? Thanks, keep us posted on your quest. How about having you stock tb ported rather than going to a 70mm, I vote for that.