Naked Engine Photos: The Forever Build

UncleDave

In the Booster Seat
As in, it's taking forever to build. But that's okay, I have time...

Since we can never get enough naked engine pics, figure I'd throw a few more at ya:

Pistons .002" proud of the deck:

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4008-deck-height-1.jpg

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4007-deck-height-2.jpg

A couple dark photos of the bottom end (dang flash!):

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4015-bottom-1.jpg

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4016-bottom-2.jpg

GN1 aluminum heads:

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4009-heads-3.jpg

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4010-heads-2.jpg

Rockers & valvetrain:

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4012-valvetrain-1.jpg

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4013-valvetrain-2.jpg

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4014-valvetrain-3.jpg

The combo thus far:
"291" block +.020
Standard turbo crank
T/A steel caps
K1 rods
Wiseco forged pistons
King bearings
GN1 Aluminum heads
215/220 roller
GN1 (T&D) 1:65 rockers
Morel lifters
TA62 turbo (Might need to upgrade...)

I believe this pup is going to want to breathe well enough that a ported HA intake ain't gonna cut it. I'm still considering creative intake options... :)

~Dave

Good choice

Oh, so you started with a 4.1 block! This is exactly what I want to build for my G/N ! I will keep tuned in and can't wait to see what kind of horsepower numbers you get....Thanks!

This thing is going to be a beast for sure! Nice looking build!

Whats the final compression ratio going to be?

The combo thus far:
"291" block +.020
Standard turbo crank
T/A steel caps
K1 rods
Wiseco forged pistons
King bearings
GN1 Aluminum heads
215/220 roller
Morel lifters

I believe this pup is going to want to breathe well enough that a ported HA intake ain't gonna cut it. I'm still considering creative intake options... :)

~Dave

That is NICE!
Looks like my combo . . . . minus the block, heads, rockers, 215 cam, turbo, pistons, caps, bearings, rods, yadiyada . . . . . :eek:;) LOL!!

You assembling it yourself Dave??? Looking good. Also, your console riser shipped on Friday, not that you are going to be needing it any time soon.:eek:

dude witha .020 bore in a 4.1.....put a set of 2.00 valves in (if they fit the chamber) in your GN1's and beat everyones butt with 7 lbs lol

This thing is going to be a beast for sure! Nice looking build!

Whats the final compression ratio going to be?

Just under 9:1.

Also, your console riser shipped on Friday, not that you are going to be needing it any time soon.

Yes I will, it will keep me comfy while I sit in the driver's seat dreaming at 2am! :tongue:

dude witha .020 bore in a 4.1.....put a set of 2.00 valves in (if they fit the chamber) in your GN1's and beat everyones butt with 7 lbs lol

Now you tell me... LOL! There must be some advantage to unshrouding the valves with the bigger bore. Anyway, I plan to see what boost she likes with no alky, and go from there. This is just to drive to shows and cruise nights, after all... hehe :rolleyes:

You assembling it yourself Dave??? Looking good.

Thanks! I did the last one too, and amazingly it held together! The shop does the rotating assembly of course, but I want to do everything else, that's why it takes months... Maybe I need to teach the 9-year-old how to use a torque wrench. ;)

As in, it's taking forever to build. But that's okay, I have time...

Since we can never get enough naked engine pics, figure I'd throw a few more at ya:

Pistons .002" proud of the deck:

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4008-deck-height-1.jpg

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4007-deck-height-2.jpg

A couple dark photos of the bottom end (dang flash!):

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4015-bottom-1.jpg

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4016-bottom-2.jpg

GN1 aluminum heads:

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4009-heads-3.jpg

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4010-heads-2.jpg

Rockers & valvetrain:

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4012-valvetrain-1.jpg

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4013-valvetrain-2.jpg

uncledave-albums-4-1-engine-picture4014-valvetrain-3.jpg

The combo thus far:
"291" block +.020
Standard turbo crank
T/A steel caps
K1 rods
Wiseco forged pistons
King bearings
GN1 Aluminum heads
215/220 roller
Morel lifters

~Dave
dave congrats on the piston to deck on your 291 block. I recently built a +.020 291 with hyper pistons, stock rods and bottom end, ported irons, 218/212 roller with 1.65 rockers, T62, 60 lb inj, razors alch, art carr n/l/u. I had a .103 piston in the hole for a 8.04 to 1 c/r. I use a hot air intake that is hoggedout and extrude honed. Ran it taking it easy 5300 rpm ran a 116+ mph @ 12.03. It is defenetly making H.P. 10.6 afr alch street chip 22 deg of timing and not hammering it at all. I,ll try the race chip next time. You are going to love yours when you get it running. By the way my 3.8 ran 11.41 @117+ before I put in the 4.1. See ya! hotairgnx548

Thanks guys. At the rate I'm going it will be ready by next June, LOL.

I'm going to start by porting the stock intake, have a set of ported stock headers, but I don't expect much from either one. Just want to get it running before coming up with anything fancy. Already got the 87 ECM, Eric's TT5.7 chip... Kinda wish I went speed density, but Eric really knows his stuff so I'm not worried.

Now I just need to get the old block out and freshen up the engine bay. More to come.

Thanks guys. At the rate I'm going it will be ready by next June, LOL.

I'm going to start by porting the stock intake, have a set of ported stock headers, but I don't expect much from either one. Just want to get it running before coming up with anything fancy. Already got the 87 ECM, Eric's TT5.7 chip... Kinda wish I went speed density, but Eric really knows his stuff so I'm not worried.

Now I just need to get the old block out and freshen up the engine bay. More to come.

Looks good. Take your time and tune it right. It took me ten months from blown head gasket to a proper tune. I personally went from a TT6.0 chip back to the TT5.7 and dropped the idea of a speed density. Four variables are easier to deal with than eight or sixteen and a wideband failure wont damage my engine. Keep us posted. Brad

Like he said Dave, work real hard for a proper tune, I dialed mine in, and pop went the head gaskets. Gotta love starting over. And FYI I have a stock ha intake right now since I had time constraints, and this thing is still SICK.