My ugly 87 GN going into the body shop

Scott A.

Well, after (11) years of looking at the factory paint, I've decided this is the summer to do something about it. I started stripping it about (2) weeks ago and dropped it off at the shop today. Shop said I should have it back in a month, but I'm guessing it will be longer as there's a lot of work here, especially with the rust.

Really wanted to pull the motor and tranny on this one, but I didn't think I'd have it back together this year if I did that (with 3 small children and work), and wanted to drive it this year. Gotta say that finding how bad the floor rust was a bummer, but looks very fixable.

I'll keep everybody posted when I get it back.

Attachments

• GN1.jpg
    GN1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 550
  • GN2.jpg
    GN2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 535
  • GN3.jpg
    GN3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 536
  • GN4.jpg
    GN4.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 540
  • GN5.jpg
    GN5.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 532
It'll be well worth it...

Seems like water was making it's way to the floorpan somehow. Check your windshield glue & firewall holes. It looks fixable to me too, it might be ugly now but it'll come out pretty. Good luck on geting the car back in a month...I got mine back 2 wks ago after 2 years & 3 months :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

I believe there are a couple of leaks. Found one yesterday from a firewall gromet, I know the driver side t-top still leaks (after new seals too). Also looks like the quarter glass had a very slight leak, they are ready to be pulled and he's going to reseal them. The windshield is coming out too and being replaced, but I don't see any signs of leaks around it, we'll see.

If anybody else is looking for a good price on a set of floor pans, you might check with restoration world over by Dayton Ohio. He quoted me $169 (drivers side) over the phone in stock, so I can go pick it up and save on shipping. Said he had a one-piece also that welds in from the bottom. Looks like the passenger side and rockers are solid on this one (from what we see so far).

Updated Pics - GN is getting uglier....

The GN is coming along well. As expected, more rust was found than we first saw, but its not too bad for a midwest car. I've kept it garaged and out of the weather for the last (11) years, but it was a driver before then. Ended up buying a new gas tank, stainless gas lines, windshield (no leaks from the old one, just cracked), door bushings, front & rear fiberglass fillers so far, but I'm sure there will be more to come. Its going to get brake lines when I get it back, and I don't know what's wrong with the powermaster yet, but its acting up.....to be expected for a car that has sat for a while.

Only part that hasn't survived yet was the rear passenger side wheel well molding. It was bonded to the body very well, and was twisted up, others came off fine. The trunk lid was replaced (keeping the old one hopefully to find a reproduction RPO). I thought the doors were rust free, but he found a few spots that he patched and looked good. He's pulling the old leaky tank and going to clean/paint that area too before putting the new tank in.

Hoping to have it back in a few weeks, maybe a month or so...Looks like I'm going to have a good amount of money in it, but I'm happy so far. Plan on keeping it for a long time and enjoying it!

Attachments

• GN1.jpg
    GN1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 415
  • GN2.jpg
    GN2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 403
  • GN3.jpg
    GN3.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 399
  • GN4.jpg
    GN4.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 413
  • GN5.jpg
    GN5.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 401
looking good man. i know about rust myself. i think every car has some. anyways glad you took care of it now. also i like the rims ;) keep us posted.

also since the doors are off might as well get new hinges in there.

Just did front and rear fiberglass bumper fillers myself. Many hours of work to get them to fit nice. They're not a plug-n-play deal.

Mike B.

Car is now painted!

Saw the car today all painted up! Looks good! Hoping to trailer it home this week and begin to put it back together. Will post pics soon.

Sounds great - looking forward to the pics!

Saw the car today all painted up! Looks good! Hoping to trailer it home this week and begin to put it back together. Will post pics soon.

Looks like they did a great job on the floors. Its gotta be nice to see smooth primed metal instead of rust. :cool:

Congratulations! Another one saved!

He's still totalling up the bill, but the floor pan itself cost about $185 from restoration world, and he had about 7 hours into the floorboard and the metal work on the doors (straightening them plus patching the very minor corner rust on one of them).