My travels thru Africa (repost from other BB)

Ttype83

USAF Retired
In Tanzania my hotel was over 2 hours away, they said it was only 1 hour away. We left the airport around 1:30am and we started getting nervous when all the buildings were gone and only fields...what was he going to do, rob us and leave us in the middle of no were to be eatten by lions :eek!: Driver kept saying only 5 more minutes :rolleyes: . We were there for almost 4 days, but I had to go back to the airport everyday. First day to cash a check because they wouldn't take visa, mastercard, check...they only wanted US CASH :rant:

So I only got pics along the way. Here is the place we stopped at to try and get internet since the hotels didn't work. First they wanted local money. so we went down the street to exchange. When we got back they were to busy eatting to help/work. While we were waiting outside of the exchange place a guy came up in crutchs and one leg begging, told him No. So he goes around the open door of the van begging the guys inside. By this time my boss came out and get in the van, I push pass the bagger because he wouldn't move and slamed the door in his face(because I'm a nice guy :yup:). Everyone in the van looked at me funny :dunno:

02-16-08_1613.jpg

Along side of the roads you see all this shacks, this is were they do all there shopping, bricking making (one at a time with a hand press), lumberyard.

P1010620.jpg

Fresh fish

P1010634.jpg

Church

P1010638.jpg

P1010632.jpg

School under the tree

P1010006.jpg

Bricks (for you Zap)

P1010639.jpg

Now this really confussed me, a shack beside new buildings. But the new homes haven't been finished and haven't been worked on in some time :confused: What I found out later was the families would save up enough money to complete one wall. Most homes took at least 10 years to complete.

P1010001.jpg

these people had lots of money

P1010008.jpg

P1010011.jpg

Jim, you get to see some awesome things in your job... Thanks for sharing with us!

I guess I will never see such as I have vowed never to leave North America again. I don't fit in anywhere else:tongue:

Jim, you get to see some awesome things in your job... Thanks for sharing with us!

I guess I will never see such as I have vowed never to leave North America again. I don't fit in anywhere else:tongue:
I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep this job, even tho they have given me another raise last Dec (maxed out at pay now and moved up the fastest) But the traveling doesn't give me much time with the family. Another company is looking at me and the job is at the local airport. So we'll see what they offer :biggrin:

Thanks for the pics and story Jim. I, too, have no desire to travel outside of North America, either. If you watch the news, the WHOLE world HATES us. (but they ALL want to move HERE, though???) What were the local people like? If the local govenments would pull thier collective heads out of their butts, they could really turn the place into a great tourist destination.

Thanks for the pics and story Jim. I, too, have no desire to travel outside of North America, either. If you watch the news, the WHOLE world HATES us. (but they ALL want to move HERE, though???) What were the local people like? If the local govenments would pull thier collective heads out of their butts, they could really turn the place into a great tourist destination.

The local people I talked with in the 4 countries were all very friendly. 2 of them want us to put bases there very bad and a third is pushing as well. A lot of what you seen on the news is just that..I've been to Turkey, German(mostly old east), Georgia, Afgan, Kuwait and now this trip. Some are happy, most are friendly and DON"T hate us like some news people would lead you to believe.
I like traveling, but it was getting out of hand for 7 months. I was only home for a total of 34 days from 4 july to 3 jan. I've slowed down a bit, but now I'm wanted in JFK for work. It's good to be wanted, but would like to have a life outside of work :p