My noise turned out to be the flywheel

bogie1

The familiar noise turned out to be the flywheel. This time I think it is cracked in the center section. I have a new JW lightweight Steel SFI wheel coming this week. I talked to PTS about the discussion on shimming the 9X11 Conveter and They said not to shim it with the 200R4 Trans.

there will always be that battle tranny guy blames engine engine guy blames tranny

either way no converter should lay flat against the flexplate other than where it bolts up

just be sure to remember me when You need a Rebuild ;)

My OD planetary let go a month ago, upon inspecting the tranny, my hub on the converter was only engaging the pump half way which cuased damage to the snout of the converter and damage to the pump.

Next time i'm shimming mine.

The converter was a TCS 9x11 3600.

i shim them to yield a clearance of .040 to .060"between the flywheel and converter.afterwards take a prybar and verify that you didnt 0 out the end play in the crankshaft by prying the converter to and fro to check for end play,obviously if the thrust bearing is worn down you want to add clearance so as not to 0 it out during operation.btw if its that worn down you should be pulling the motor anyhow.:D

Originally posted by bogie1
The familiar noise turned out to be the flywheel. This time I think it is cracked in the center section. I have a new JW lightweight Steel SFI wheel coming this week. I talked to PTS about the discussion on shimming the 9X11 Conveter and They said not to shim it with the 200R4 Trans.

Bogie,

What was your noise like? My son's MCSS with T350 is making a h%ll of a racket from the rear of the engine under light laod. Idle and full load seems OK...

TIA!