My GN vs (Twin-T 300ZX and Twin-T Supra)

flipmo

"Come Correct - Boosted"
Hate to be so long but I thought this was pretty funny end the end; however, at first, I thought it would be somewhat an interesting challenge that initially raised my blood pressure just a little. Ever since getting my car back from tuning on the dyno, the locals kept asking why don’t I bring it out and stop being scared because there are two cars in town who know without a doubt they can take me. Also, that these two cars have the respect of nearly all the local Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, Trans ams, WRX-Sti in town. These two cars are a 1994 Twin-Turbo Supra (not sure of turbo size but definitely aftermarket) and a 1994 Twin Turbo 300ZX with two TD-05 Greddys. These two guys are always the talk of the town and for some reason, the rest of the groupies are afraid of them and feel intimidated because no one can seem to beat them or come close. I always give credit where credit is do and must admit their cars do look nice. I don’t know how much money they have invested but if you saw these cars and the amount of work they have done to them you would be in ahhhh. They have definitely put money in them and compared to the regular street cars and low budget locals who hang out there, I see why there was no competition. But of course these two guys are the best of friends and I’m sure they do everything together (because they are Pals!).

Well, I decided to call both of there bluffs and just showed up one night at the local hangout where all the ricers hang, just to see if I can get a “Rise” out of someone. For the luck of me, these two guys were not there; however, their friends quickly called them both and they couldn’t wait to get to the hang-out where everyone was. There was also a big crowd that night who was hungry for some action and wanted to see me get beat (Well probably half wanted me to get beat and the other half wanted me to kick their a--). These yeahoos showed up and all you could hear from both of their cars were the blow-off valves coughing. For some reason they thought they needed to put on a show before actually coming to a stop. By this time I’m pissed! They showed up and asked me what I wanted to do and stated that they have been waiting, waiting, waiting for me to bring it out so they could put all the questions and wondering to rest. I stated, “Let’s do this and get it over because I had things to do.” At that time I’m even more pissed off because they had the balls to ask me what I wanted to do and that they have been waiting on me!

I first raced the 300ZX with Twin TD-05 Greddys and the first thing he stated was, “Hey, let’s do it from a roll.” Well at rolling about 35-40mph I let him hit it and about 2-3 seconds into the roll I started pulling on him like crazy and pull right next to him and gave him the come-on finger at the same time. He was embarrassed because he had his girl in the car. He said let’s do it again because he missed 3rd gear and that that is why I caught him. I said no problem and his girl got out the car. We did it again this time I was going to make sure of no excuses. From about a 40mph roll as soon as I felt him hit it I was on his ass and pulled about 5 cars on him easy and turned on my flashers.

After that we stopped and I said “Any more questions?” For what I still can’t understand for nothing in the world is he had the balls to say let’s do it from a stop. At that point I was thinking the guy must be an idiot in my mind because how does he think he can beat me from a stop if he can’t beat me from a roll. Well, the fact is he was blowing smoke and really didn’t want to run anymore. Kept saying his car was too hot and needed to cool and for me to race his friend from the stop. The Supra and I lined up and I hate to say it but he did pull me from the line hard on the first pass because I really didn’t build any boost and kind of just left (but I don’t make excuses – he did get me off the line hard). But once the turbo started spooling and I shifted, it wasn’t even close. I caught him in a matter of seconds and kept walking. We did it again and this time I used the T-brake after a little burn-out and left with about 9 pounds of boost. After that he didn’t even get out of 1st gear, at least I don’t think, and didn’t even try to race that particular run.

After everyone met back up at their hang-out spot, they asked me what I had in the motor and stated I must have been using nitrous. “It was so funny.” I told them I had just a single 72 turbo. But of course they couldn’t believe it. I popped the hood and their jaws seem to drop (Wowwww, oooooh, dangggg, mannnnnn, etc... – kind of common for Ricers). They even thought it was a V-8 and after counting the plug wires, just couldn’t believe it was a V-6. Better yet, some just can’t comprehend that a Buick beat what suppose to have been two of the fastest street cars in town. Dang, that night was a lot of fun and to be honest, I thought the races would have been a lot closer than what they turned out to be based upon the hype everyone had put out about their cars being the fastest in town. The Greddy’s let them down – “Big Time” and I’m sure a lot of you guys would just say I wasted my time proving basically nothing by beating up on Ricers – Was fun though! What's really funny is all the mustangs, 2 corvettes, couple of camaros and trans ams are the ones who I usually thought would bring the challenge; however, they definitely wanted no part in racing me after racing the so called fast Twins.

Great writeup! Good races, too. Your car must be very strong. Some of those Supras and300Zs can be very deceiving. You flat put them in their places. Great job.

:cool: VERY, VERY ,VERY COOL. :) Its nice to see a nicely prepped GN woop a little azzzzzzzz!@# I am going to do the same, one time. My stage 2 with a HUGE 91 turbo on it from Conelys Performance is going to be fun. What type of #'s you turning :confused:

A Few PICs

Quint said:
:cool: VERY, VERY ,VERY COOL. :) Its nice to see a nicely prepped GN woop a little azzzzzzzz!@# I am going to do the same, one time. My stage 2 with a HUGE 91 turbo on it from Conelys Performance is going to be fun. What type of #'s you turning :confused:
Hey Quint. Well, unfortunately I didn't make it to the last Test and Tune at Maryland International Raceway (MIR) because I got it back a couple of days before the last race and the Mrs. had weekend plans for us. So I don't know what she'll run through the traps but do have a good idea. She was tuned by Bill Anderson at Anderson Performance and dynoed 563 RWHP at 21lbs on 110 octane. So I'm hoping for high 10s.

We'll see next year.

Attachments

• 100_0371.jpg
    100_0371.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 674
  • 100_0366m.jpg
    100_0366m.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 632
  • 100_0370.jpg
    100_0370.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 605
  • 100_0388.jpg
    100_0388.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 602
Haha, those kinds of victories are the best....which is why I love these cars in the first place! So I guess now you're the "guy" everyone in town will be afraid to race....way to represent the Buicks!:cool:

Good kills beating a tt supra and tt 300 zx is something to be proud of those cars can be really tough especially in the top end range. The best part of it all is you can take them from a roll and a dig. Way to keep up the legacy of the feared Grand nationals.

Sound like there cars must have been more show than go. Looks like you have the show and you definatly have the go. :biggrin: Nice kills! :cool:

Nice Kills!

With the combo your running, I seriously doubt there will be many challengers out their that will be able to beat you. Have you ran it in the 1/4 yet? :)

Nice car man...you should write um 'adult GN' (beating ricer) dime novels...I'd buy...Nice write up, nice runs... :cool:

Bobs rare 6 said:
Beautiful car! Any track times? Bob.
None yet Bob, missed the last T&T at MIR. I'll have to wait until next season to run the traps and I'm definitely looking forward to it. Actually have a few more bolt-on goodies in mind between now and then. :biggrin:

flipmo said:
None yet Bob, missed the last T&T at MIR. I'll have to wait until next season to run the traps and I'm definitely looking forward to it. Actually have a few more bolt-on goodies in mind between now and then. :biggrin:
very nice ride, looks like mine, haha :D Those look like MT drag radials out back, wht size are they :confused: I just got the Mt Radials 325's/50's out back on mine and will be running radial only all the way into the 8's, I hope. But with those impressive Dyno figures wherre they mustang or dynojet and I promise you, this, if you hook and stall right, your mid 10's easy :cool: way cool and we will have to trade stories soon. -

flipmo said:
Hey Quint. Well, unfortunately I didn't make it to the last Test and Tune at Maryland International Raceway (MIR) because I got it back a couple of days before the last race and the Mrs. had weekend plans for us. So I don't know what she'll run through the traps but do have a good idea. She was tuned by Bill Anderson at Anderson Performance and dynoed 563 RWHP at 21lbs on 110 octane. So I'm hoping for high 10s.

We'll see next year.

If you don't run low 10's you've got major problems. My T-top GN went 10.95 @ 124 with #55, TE-63, and a 115 chip. You have way more goodies on your car than I did. Have you had a chance to play with the Big Stuff yet? Can you do a comparison with Speed Pro?

Great kills! Stories were good, too. What turbos was the Supra running? Most of the big boys run a big single in place of the sequential twins.

ViciousV6 said:
Great kills! Stories were good, too. What turbos was the Supra running? Most of the big boys run a big single in place of the sequential twins.
Well, he only stated they were aftermarket and not the stock turbos. Got to give him credit, they were polished nicely with chrome piping, bigger intercooler (so he said), and had enough freaking black smoke from his exhaust on his rear bumper that was funny as hell. He's was either running super, super rich or maybe that's just how those cars run.

opeltwinturbo said:
If you don't run low 10's you've got major problems. My T-top GN went 10.95 @ 124 with #55, TE-63, and a 115 chip. You have way more goodies on your car than I did. Have you had a chance to play with the Big Stuff yet? Can you do a comparison with Speed Pro?
No, after Bill finished tuning, I haven't touched any of the parameters, other than pulling up the different screens to ensure everything is working as should and within spec. Too many daggone screens for me that I haven't figured out yet. I was quite familiar with the F.A.S.T (B-2-B) and the Big Stuff 3 seems to be similar in nature; however, BS3 seems to have waaaayyyyyyyyy more parameters and things that will get you in trouble fast if you don't know what your doing. No clue about Speed Pro.

Attachments

• 100_0377.jpg
    100_0377.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 871
You're stylin' dude.

Those guys are completely clueless to even think they had a chance. Your ride isn't exactly a sleeper.

Great Kills. Way to Represent.