My first ever trip to a track

Charles Young

C Young
Pretty poor showing but had fun at Piedmont Dragway last night! They had a test and tune night so I figured I was ready to give it a try. Met some nice folks. Parked beside a guy with a wicked 73 challenger making about 520 HP he said, I believe it.
Anyway, figuring out the whole lane thing was interesting to say the least and the lights/staging will take me some more time to figure out. My R/T's suck; my first was 1.43 just sitting there trying to figure out what was happening. Pretty funny. Made 5 passes with a best of R/T .446 (yuck). 1.77 60', 8.3 1/8 at 82.3 MPH. I have work to do!
They guy beside me on that pass ran a 6.4 1/8 at 109 MPH. He had a .092 R/T. I saw his tail lights pretty quick, that is I would have if I had the time to look over before he was gone.

A perfect RT on a pro tree is .400 and .500 on a sportsman tree. A pro tree flashes all the yellows then goes green, a sportsman tree turns on the yellow lights individually with .500 seconds delay between each. So he red lighted and you did too assuming they were using a sportsman tree? In any case forget about RT and beating the guy next to you. Get used to launching your car for the best results. Have fun with it!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

And BTW....Don't wait for the light to turn green. Launch on the last yellow for a bettet RT.

A perfect RT on a pro tree is .400 and .500 on a sportsman tree. A pro tree flashes all the yellows then goes green, a sportsman tree turns on the yellow lights individually with .500 seconds delay between each. So he red lighted and you did too assuming they were using a sportsman tree? In any case forget about RT and beating the guy next to you. Get used to launching your car for the best results. Have fun with it!

Sportsman tree based on your description. Please explain the .5 perfect RT. I would have thought "perfect" would be more like .001 or something really low. I do have a lot to learn.

Don't worry about your r/t. Concentrate on the launch technique for lower 60'.

Nope anything less than .500 is a red light. As I said, there is .500 sec between each yellow light and the green. The RT timer starts when the last yellow comes on and stops when your tires unblock the staged beam. So if you unblock the beam in .500 seconds it is exactly when the green came on and is a perfect light. Here is a place to do some more reading:
http://www.staginglight.com/guide/react.html

Sportsman tree based on your description. Please explain the .5 perfect RT. I would have thought "perfect" would be more like .001 or something really low. I do have a lot to learn.

Charles next time message me. I woulda went with ya

Don't worry about your r/t. Concentrate on the launch technique for lower 60'.

^^^^ This. Every tenth you can shave off the 60ft time basically means 2 tenths off of your ET.

Some tracks now subtract the .4 or .5 from the Reaction time printed on the Slip.