My first engine rebuild in my GN.

Rustyregal

So I believe I'm about to sling the guts out of my original engine in my GN. It hasn't been broken in to since I bought it about 1yr/10,000 miles ago. Given the combo in my signature I would like opinions on bare minimum(if any) upgrades I should do while building it. I have a spare long block that also needs going through that was given to me when a friend upgraded to a stroker. It was in boxes. I use it as a daily driver and my goals are low 12s to hi 11s at most. I don't mind the flat tappet can and I'm already planning on going with Comp 980's. Any input is welcome just please keep in mind I'm on a budget.

Are you planning on rebuilding as a precaution or wanting to build to make it faster?

Looking at your sig, I don't see why you can't run 11's with a good tire and some boost...what's been your best time so far?

To date I haven't ran it at the track. Go pro's and such all say low 12s. I raced a couple of mid 12 cars on the street and won. So I would lean towards low 12s. I am very happy with my current power level. I am running 22-23psi with no knock on alky. I am sure a wrist pin or crank bearing is on its way out. I don't think my goals justify a ton of aftermarket parts. But looking for the little things that make a good difference. Like proven bearing and seals. Or is it worth buying ARP bolts for the crank and rods on stock components. Are aftermarket cams made from a more durable material than stock ones. That kind of thing.

I would definitly go for the ARP's. Yeah their expensive but to me that piece of mind is far better then always wondering if their strong enough. Also don't waste your money on aluminum heads. Just get a reputable shop to work your stock heads some and you'll be good. Also if your replacing the lifters you will probably want to do the cam as well. If the stock lifters put even microscopic grooves in your cam that will hurt your new lifters pretty good...Hopefully a real expert speaks up though

I would change cams if I knew that it would help the reliability of my car. I wonder what the best bearings to use are.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app