My Dyno results, what do you think?

MyBoosta

More Boost = More Love!
Hello boosted friends,

Well, after many adjustments on the streets and three failed track visits attempts (rain), it was time to take advantage of some free dyno time.

My car has: a TE-44 (23psi)/Dutt neck/3"THDP with dump/MSD 50psi/340 with hot wire/TT race chip/ATR true dual 2.5 exhaust/home made CAI kit and a 160 T stat. Scanmaster 2.1 with all the usual gauges (water/oil/boost/knock).

Dyno results: First, it was hot today, ambient temp was 89* and humidity was 76%. Room air temp was 92.9* and my coolant reached as high as 192*.

On the streets, I set my O2 to read in the high 700 to low 800's on 116 leaded race fuel. FP was set to 43psi as per the TT race chip install instructions. I tweaked the # 1 fuel parameter (WOT) in the chip to achieve the above O2 readings seen on my scanmaster.

First pull produced 311/339 to the tires, the A/F was out of the charts...below 10.0 while the scanmaster showed O2' in the 789 range with NO KNOCK! I know dynos do not load as well as on the roads. Another pull two minutes later produced similar numbers and A/F was still very rich (10.0 and below) while O2's were roughly in the same range (782 to 777). I was advised by the shop guys to lean it out a bit; these guys do many turbo Stangs and run low 10's to mid 9's in the 1/4 mile.

So I lowered my FP to 38psi static and also leaned the chip #1 fuel le parameter (WOT) from setting 150 (+17% rich) to 140 (+9.4% rich)...setting 128 is 0%. After that, I was rewarded with a 321/361 pull while A/F was in the 11.0 at the beginning of the pull to about a 10.6 A/F towards the end of the pull! Scanmaster readings were in the 769 to 761 and NO KNOCK.

Again, I know my car will get a little leaner on the streets under loads, but man I think she still a little too FAT. The last and fourth pull produced 320/360; we stopped here since paying customers began to show up. Hey, it was a freebie dyno usage so I'm not complaining. Next time I will rent it for an hour ($60 bucks) and make more adjustments.

Again, I know that O2 readings are very important for these GN's, but having A/F readings in the low high to low 10's is FAT...don't you think? I don't think my (two weeks old/40 miles) Bosh O2 took a crap due to the 116-leaded fuel usage. I know today was NOT the best day to strapped her on the dyno, but hey, I was given a free impromptu dyno usage so I took advantage of it.

What are your take away, is this car weak or the combination of heat and fat A/F killed my numbers? On that same dyno, I think I should go leaner and leaner regardless of what the scanmaster O2 readings say as long as there is no knock? I also don't think the guy knew how to pull the GN on the dyno; he had a hard time locking up the converter.

Thanks for your inputs:)

I would take very small steps. Looks like you dropped a lot of FP and WOT fueling all at once. Im surprised the car didnt lean out more than it did. Also, dont trust the dyno numbers or A/F too much. The real results are at the track, if mph increases your making more power.

With that said, my car with the time in the sig below only put down 406hp/529tq in a VERY hot dyno room. (110+ degrees) And needless to say I was very dissapointed. The guys said my car was a little fat too, but I didnt make any adjustments. My friends GN with a home made alky kit put down 441hp and they said it was really lean, so he added fuel and the car fell on its face. *shrugs*

Point is, dyno's are nice, but Id really like to see the mph the car puts down at the 1/8th and the 1/4 mile marks. THAT will tell you if your doing something right or wrong................. HTH :biggrin:

I think that you should only tune off the dyno wideband a/f numbers and ignore the scanmaster o2 numbers for the dyno tuning. Just keep a mental note of the scanmaster o2 numbers. Turn the fuel up and add boost in small increments. Keep in mind you will bea lot leaner onthe street with more airflow over the intercooler at high speed and lower ambient temps. I tune for 11.3:1 myself. You should be able to get in the 450whp range at 25-27 psi and a locked converter at 24 degrees advance.

I agree with you guys. Oh yeah, I am NOT a dyno numbers lover...no sir.

I noticed the fatness of the A/F while it was being pulled...it was fat. I've tuned other cars there, so I trust that dyno.

You are right, track MPH will tell me what is going on, I just want to get her dial in as close as possible prior to a track visit. As you know, variables at the track such as prep, wind, heat and overall track conditions can cause MPH to be lower or higher and thus not giving me a true depiction of my power.

I will take baby steps as I did when I tuned on the streets. I still think she may like O2 readings in the 730’s as it did before when it didn’t knock and it was rocking. I will work my way back down there providing there is no knock and see if my gut feeling is right.

450rwhp…I don’t know, that is a bit high for this combo don’t you think? It would be nice!
According to my TT race chip sheet, I have 26* timing in all gears and my boost is set to 24psi, but in the heat of today, I saw 22 or 23 psi or so. The guys had a huge snail type fan pointed straight at the intercooler scoop.

A local guy hit 475hp with a GT3255 and a Precision stock location intercooler at 25 psi. You should be able to hit well over 400 if everything is in line and converter locked.

tuning

you are brave to drop that much fuel all at once. I would leave the static fuel set to eric instructions and make small adjustments to the fuel with the chip. An 116 can kill a o2 an a day but that's another story, but since you were rich why not try an turn the boost up to lean it out some . But most important take it slow on tuning no matter how you do it.

you are brave to drop that much fuel all at once. I would leave the static fuel set to eric instructions and make small adjustments to the fuel with the chip. An 116 can kill a o2 an a day but that's another story, but since you were rich why not try an turn the boost up to lean it out some . But most important take it slow on tuning no matter how you do it.

Yeah, I guess your are right. I will put the FP back to 43psi static and dial my fuel from the #1 parameter settings. Turning up the boost was scary to me since I already had it dial to 25psi:eek:

I also noticed that the dyno operator did not know how to lock up the converter...one of the guy did a semi pull and I recalled seeing 430rwtq, I forgot the HP level. Oh well, that pull was deleted and we started all over again with the new guy. I will request for the first guy when I go back.

PS, I will be able to get my hands on a drum of 120oct leaded fuel, I think I should maybe increase the timing from 26* to 28* and leave the boost at 25psi and dial the fuel. I would love to see my A/F at 11.5 across my dyno pull and no knock on the Scanmaster; I don't care what the O2 counts says at this point.

Do you agree with my approach?

For one, I would make sure he didnt do the pull in 4th gear, since OD kills torque multiplication, and you should add a TC lockup switch. Make sure lockup is even working before you try. What stall TC are you running? Those numbers look really weak for what you have. Was it a dynojet dyno, mustang dyno? Mustang dynos tend to show much lower numbers, but are better for real world tuning thats useful on the street or strip.

O2 sensors die quickly with race gas. I'd pour in several gallons once I got to the track, run 4-5 times, leave the track and get no more than 2-3 miles away before the 02 would throw a code. I pulled 405/545 with the mods in my sig on 23 lbs of boost and 23* of timing on 93 octane and alky.