My Dumb-ass Move Of The Week

BlownV6

Here is the DUMB ASS MOVE OF THE WEEK!! At BG race we discovered that the manifold had bent after the last explosion and was leaking fuel from a little of everywhere , so I welded a couple spots and remachined all the surfaces and O-ringed the top plate. I had a bathroom towel laying in the manifold plenium while I messed with the O-ring. The blower , hat ,fuel lines ,pucktank , etc weighs about 150# , so I had my wife help me set the blower on!! Somehow I managed to forget to remove the towel!! It started up and sounded perfect until I hit the throttle and that 1471 shoved a blast of air in the plenium. Pics tell the rest of the story. Yes one end of the towel went through the intake valve ,down into the cylinder and back out the exhaust valve :eek:
Needless to say it was a complete cluster f*** to get it back out. I mean it was wedged in there. Finally on the second day we got it out and unbelievebly it didnt hurt anything . Lucky!! Its loaded and were heading for Muncie this afternoon. Mike:cool:

Attachments

• MVC-087F.JPG
    MVC-087F.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 572
  • MVC-091F.JPG
    MVC-091F.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 576
  • MVC-092F.JPG
    MVC-092F.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 569
  • MVC-093F.JPG
    MVC-093F.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 568
WOW….I think Lucky is an understatement…… you may have used up your luck for the year… but good luck at the race…

I had a buddy that years ago he was a true shadetree mechanic and worked on his 409 powered dragster under a shade tree. He had his intake sitting on a towel and when he picked up the intake it stuck to the bottom. Well, the towel wrapped around the camshaft and broke all kinds of things. We know how rare 409 parts are......needless to say, the. 409 is no more

I believe every racer that works on his own stuff has done that same thing at least once. Most are too embarassed to admit it. Thanks Mike for sharing. Please post results when you can.

bob aka stgman

I saw a Rag destroy a Turbo once

Not Cool.

Glad you didn't wreck anything Mike.

Chalk this up as a Horse Shoe moment.

kirban 2 cents worth

on a similar note you know the stock mass air hose comes wrapped i n a clear plastic bag.....somehow guy had it get sucked into the turbo...think gm had packed another plastic bag in the air duct....

reminds me of another guy removed his speedo to work on it car rolled...and rolled over the dash cluster....

had a buddy make a prototype spoiler trial fitting on the trunk at my house
and during the process left his keys in the trunk shut the lid....tried to keep me from seeing it....

the list goes on and on....we all make mistakes.....

some worst than others

recent one comes to mind SC governor made a major one!

kirban

X2. Have heard about BBC eating a red rag, and not being able to evacuate the exhaust, being rods, mashing the crank, etc. You must be living right! :)

I would say that the 7 to 1 compression gave it plenty of room for rag!! My pistons are dished and down in the hole about .200" . Almost half of that rag was in the cylinder , if you look closely you can see a stripe about half way up the where it was caught at the intake valve and then the very end was under the exhaust valve. Quite frankly I cant believe that the valves werent bent either!! Or maybe that 450# seat pressure is making it straighten up at the seat:eek: Mike:cool:

my luck I would gotten my shirt stuck in it and when it cranked over.. I would be shirtless and motorless....

I have seen a red shop rag go through a large cummins diesel.. i mean all the way through...though turbo in engine out turbo and found it slightly sooted laying in the exhaust pipe.
Guy forgot he had it in the inlet pipe

Update!! Went to Muncie that night. Did a burnout and it shook the tires at the end of burnout. I stopped the car and saw this part come sliding out from underneath the car and slide 50' out in front of me. What the heck is that?? Hell --thats the master cylinder resivour!! I figured at that point I had used up all my luck and better just go home!!! What do you think?? Mike:cool:

Attachments

• MVC-094F.JPG
    MVC-094F.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 264
Update!! Went to Muncie that night. Did a burnout and it shook the tires at the end of burnout. I stopped the car and saw this part come sliding out from underneath the car and slide 50' out in front of me. What the heck is that?? Hell --thats the master cylinder resivour!! I figured at that point I had used up all my luck and better just go home!!! What do you think?? Mike:cool:

Here is the DUMB ASS MOVE OF THE WEEK!! At BG race we discovered that the manifold had bent after the last explosion and was leaking fuel from a little of everywhere , so I welded a couple spots and remachined all the surfaces and O-ringed the top plate. I had a bathroom towel laying in the manifold plenium while I messed with the O-ring. The blower , hat ,fuel lines ,pucktank , etc weighs about 150# , so I had my wife help me set the blower on!! Somehow I managed to forget to remove the towel!! It started up and sounded perfect until I hit the throttle and that 1471 shoved a blast of air in the plenium. Pics tell the rest of the story. Yes one end of the towel went through the intake valve ,down into the cylinder and back out the exhaust valve
Needless to say it was a complete cluster f*** to get it back out. I mean it was wedged in there. Finally on the second day we got it out and unbelievebly it didnt hurt anything . Lucky!! Its loaded and were heading for Muncie this afternoon. Mike

Mike at this rate you will never make it to March... You will have it entirely broken by september...

Mike at this rate you will never make it to March... You will have it entirely broken by september...

Tell me about it!! Ive been to the track I think 5 times and have only have 2 runs on it. Guess its not going to be my year!!! Mike;)