My 87 GN vs Friends LS1 Formula

Well i was comming home from work today, in my gn cause i wanted to drive something different than the Eclipse. (I normaly try to keep the miles off the GN) Anyway, my buddy in his LS1 Formula Firebird, has been wanting to give my car a go. So im driving down Kings highway, and he pulls up behind me, i look over at him, and he grins, I check the fuzz Buster for cops. its clear. he kinda throws a Rev, and i built some boost. (Im only running 11psi on the streets cause im not sure whats safe)

BAM!!! light turns green! We both launch perfectaly, thru first we are dead even. (He has 325s in the back and 275s in the front) Then Second hits, and hits HARD. He and i both chirp, but since his huge tires, he pulled a bit on me, We stayed that way for a while. then BAM! 3rd, this time he immedatly pulling on me....

We shut it down around 80, since noone was near. He had me by about 2 cars. I was upset..... This is the first time ive been beaten in my car. Then we decided to go a finial time. I asked if i could turn up my boost. He said, "Sure i wanna see what it can do."

So, i pull off to the side of the road, and pop my hood, (yes manunal boost controllers suck) and turned up my boost to somewere around 20 or so. Then we get back on the road and catch the next light, I build 5lbs of boost on the launch.

Big mistake. Light hits green, my tires break free and he takes off from me hard. hes about 3 cars ahead of me, i let off a bit and hit it agian. 2nd hits, and i chirp really nice, and i finialy get traction.

I start pulling him really hard. In a matter of seconds i am at his bumper by 60, and i continue to fly right past him, i got about 3 cars ahead of him and looked down at my boost gage, and it said around 28-30, i was like OMG because i have never ran that much boost on the street... I turned it wasy to far. but alas nothing bad happend. But theres no way to tell. Except to wait.

Anyway we went our seperate ways, and i puled off to the side of the road, and turned my boost back down... and i went home.

Btw, anyone know were i can get a electronic boost controller. ive seen them before, but i dont know were to find one, and i dont know how much they cost, Can anyone help me out?

PS: On stock internals. will 28psi hurt my motor? I looked on the scan tool, and every thing seemed to be fine... but im worried, i dont know how much these cars can handle, so any help would be aapreciated.

Thanks

what town on Kings Hwy did this go down at?

im originally from mt ephraim and now live in medford

itd be cool if i knew where this race went down at!

Originally posted by 87gnkid
what town on Kings Hwy did this go down at?

im originally from mt ephraim and now live in medford

itd be cool if i knew where this race went down at!

Cape Girardeau, Missouri

oh **** lol

theres a king hwy in missouri than...theres one here in jersey too

wierd

lol cool, yeah, got my new turbo yesterday, Went up to Creative Trim and performance. and my buddy hooked me up with a 50% discount on a T63E Turbo, and a 3200 stall. He also helped me install it, it took us like 8 hours, because none of us knew wtf we were doing, til i called up my buddy, who did it in like 3 hours,

Thats getting turbo off. putting in stall, and new turbo back on. and all tha good shyt lol.

He said, i could only get the best performance out of that turbo, if i got a huge front mount intercooler, Is this true? lol I thought the Intercooler that came with the car was good enough.

Btw i just placed a bid on some 89 Trans Am GTA Wheels. (The ones that looked like GNX wheels) On ebay. god knows what the price will get up to. i bid like $280 for the set. but it had like 5 days left on it. lol

Yeah that was an accidnet.... but i uh.. then yeah. then wham and bam i owned him :D

But two things, were can i get a good boost controller.

And two, Do you think that will harm my engine in anyway?????
I mean, i never really get on it much, and i know the engine was rebuilt, but i didnt hear any weird noises or anything. so do you think it will be fine? I only intended for 20psi..... not 28.... so im kinda worried.....

do you have a knock gauge? or are you running the scan tool with you in the car when you do that? if you don't get knock then your probably ok, don't go out there and do it again.

i doubt you hurt anything as short as you ran it for, but if you hear any weired noises then i'd be worried, otherwise don't worry about it.

but dont' do it again!

was that with the stock turbo and ic?

As a minimum, be sure and upgrade the fuel system, injectors, get a boost gauge and a scan tool before using that new turbo.

Um did any one actually read what he said?

How do you know if you turned it up to around 20? 20 and 28 is a huge jump!
Did you adjust Fuel Pressure Also?
Do you have race gas or alcohol injection? If not 20 psi is almost too much on 91-94

Just my thoughts dont take it personal...

did I miss something here or is it everyone else?

if there was a BS flag Id be pulling it now

a T63E @28psi? wouldnt this be flowing enough air to support roughly 600hp+?

the fact that he doesnt have a fuel pump or injectors kind of makes this BS, I wouldnt care if he had a made up 200 octane in his tank, it physically wouldnt flow enough fuel regardless to support that kind of air supply

and it might be just me but Ive never been able to get my car down lower then 15psi, Im sure its possible but Ive owned a GN and now a TTA and the lowest Ive seen is 15psi

Yeah, the t63e needs like, 55# injectors at least. Double pumper and 72's would be something i'd do...

Anywho, I just wanted to say I live in Saint Louis which is pretty close to Cape.

what i wanna know is what kind of FUEL did you run with the boost shooting up to 28 psi? if it was straight 93 octane there's no way your motor should have lasted at 28 psi...most people can't get past 16-17 psi without detonation...28 psi would literally blow the motor in half...even 100 octane would be pushing it! and what turbo was this done on? sounds too crazy...you can't just turn up the boost from 11 psi to 28 psi and not increase the fuel pressure at least...my god!:eek:

Originally posted by d0n_3d
what i wanna know is what kind of FUEL did you run with the boost shooting up to 28 psi? if it was straight 93 octane there's no way your motor should have lasted at 28 psi...most people can't get past 16-17 psi without detonation...28 psi would literally blow the motor in half...even 100 octane would be pushing it! and what turbo was this done on? sounds too crazy...you can't just turn up the boost from 11 psi to 28 psi and not increase the fuel pressure at least...my god!:eek:

not being a smart ass cause maybe you did see it and are just being sarcastic

but in case you missed it he said the turbo was a T63E