My 83' Limited Regal Restoration Thread, PICS

Yedi

ya, the Monte over there.
Ok Guys, here it is....my latest project...re-doing my 1983 Buick Regal limited. Car was re-painted 7 years ago by another guy. This was before I was even doing autobody. He did an "ok" job, paint has started to peel in the jams, and just a ton of other issues that I was not happy w/ how the car looked anymore.. I wanted to show what I'm capable of in my own car, and be able to tell people I did the car, not someone else.

I stripped the car to bare Metal, because the original lacquer was starting to "crows foot" or get those checking marks in it...Lots of work, then Epoxy Primer, and do my filler work on top of that, Rock solid way to do a car..

Pics will be updated as progress is made. I plan on getting it painted this coming up fall..Gonna be White Platinum Pearl Tri-Coat, it's a Ford white that I'm gong to modify the formula to keep it as clean and bright as a white as possible, yet still have the "pearl" look...

I'm going to "mold" the GNX Louvers into the fenders, and smoothe out any factory seams that are visible in the jams/trunk area. And some other little custom touches, this will be a real show stopper when it's done.

I spent a descent coin to have all the original trim on the car stripped and chromed, I can't wait to post pics of the finished product for you guys!

All the aluminum was stripped of the anodizing and chromed, all the stainless was polished to a chrome like luster, it's impressive to say the least..White car, Black Vinyl Top, Blacked out windows, and lots of chrome....oh boy.

Enjoy the Pics, I kow I have looked at a ton of restoration pics in the past on here, and now it's my turn to give my contributon.......

1983 Buick Regal Restoration pictures by Yedi_01 - Photobucket

Man jason..your in to it!!!!

Thanks for all the photos.. Looks like a solid car,the trouble is that most people have no idea the time spent to strip a car and start from "bare".. The job you are doing on your car is probably close to $10,000.00 by the time your finished.i got to be honest, in order for me to do this type of work, i have to "like" the car,otherwise i loose interest... I try to stick to the grand nationals,as i enjoy them and like the car... Keep the photos coming... Your doin a great job!!!!!!!!

Thanks Bill, it is a pretty solid car, came from Florida. minor surface rust here and there, but thats all eliminated now.

Your right about the $10,000..If I were to do this kind of work for someone else, I don't know if that would even justify all the work involved. It's different when it's your car....

I love this car, and plan on keeping it. Otherwise there's no way in hell I would spend this kind of time into it...I would have just sanded it down, and primed it and re-painted it.

I really wanted somthing thats gonna last. There are days that I look back at all the pictures and say to myself "what was I thinking??"

I give the guys that do a frame off alot of credit, as this is as close to it as I will get, otherwise who knows how long it would take...

It's gonna be a driver, so a black undercoated frame is fine for me, the underside is pretty clean looking already. And Mechanically it's set. I do have plans for tubular upper and lower control arms in the front, and stainless brake/fuel lines, than I"ll be happy :)

Damn! :D You ain't playin'... This is gonna turn out very nice... I just have my TType done and the body shop did the same thing- everything came off and tons of prep- took them 6 months and when they finished they told me that should have charged $10k for all the work they did. It came out very nice.

I really think the white with the black top will really pop. It's going to be sharp. Have you decided if you're going to reinstall the emblems or keep the smooth look?

turbo39151, the only emblem will be the "Buick" emblem on the decklid...that way people have some idea what it actually is, instead of calling it a Monte Carlo.....that pisses me off ;)

5-2-10 Update

Here's the latest updates.

P10101312.jpg picture by Yedi_01 - Photobucket

So far have the new Fiberglass rear bumper fillers, fitted, and molded into the 1/4 panels, along w/ the upper 1/4 panel extension pieces.

fixed a couple dents that were on the 1/4's, almost ready to move on to the door jams and the doors, then the roof, and then the front of the car... I'll keep this updated, probably be a few weeks till the next update.

Enjoy Guys, I hope this helps everyone as much as all the other albums on here, I love seeing guys progress!

Attachments

• fillers.jpg
    fillers.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 599
Updates..

Wow..been a while since I've posted. so, I have the car painted, everything looks very good. Primed and blocked twice.. Went w/ a straight White (PPG 1684) w/ a White Platinum Pearl Coat over that, w/ 3 coats of clear (PPG 893)

Pics will be up in a little bit or so, just been crazy w/ this project and working on cars at my job everyday..very challenging. But worth it..

Yeah, I remember this one....it's the one I flipped out over being such a beautiful car a few years ago. Remember? Couldn't get over how slick and cool you had it set up.

Man, that's a serious restoration! Very impressed with all the hard work you're doing. You sure are a dedicated car guy. Hat's off to you.

Can't wait to see the finished part. I really thought there was no way in the world you could improve on this beautiful Regal, but, as usual, I was wrong.

Absolutley great job there.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Pics are here...a bunch!

Here it is guys, a mini "slide show" of whats been done to the car, I have too many pics to post, here's the general story:

Stripped the car to bare metal, EVERYTHING, inside jams, you name it...removed original seam sealer, sprayed 2 coats of Omni Epoxy (same as PPG DP epoxy) did my body work on top of this, redid seam sealer w/ 3M heavy bodied seam sealer.

Installed new fiberglass rear bumper filler from GBodyparts.com fiberglasses this to the car, and molded it in to the quarter panel, along w/ the upper 1/4 panel extensions. Did the same to every seam that is visible in the jams..

Installed GNX louvers in fenders, reinforced them w/ 3M Panel Bond, becuase I thought they were "Cheaply" made and flimsy..this made them very solid, I then Bonded them to the fenders w/ Pamnel Bond, and molded them in..

Bought all new bolts and clips for fenders, hood, doors etc...Welded in striker reinforcement plates, and smoothed in..

3 coats of Transtar primer surfacer, blocked w/ 180, then let it sit for a couple months, and 3 more coats, blocked that out w/ 320..

Painted in the booth at work, 1 coat of sealer, 2 coats of PPG 1684 Straight White, 2 coats of PPG Global White Platinum Pearl, and 3 coats of PPG 893 Premium Clear coat..

I am currently finishing up the wet sanding and buffing, then taking a break for a while..then on to assemblying the car..I had all the original Aluminum trim pieces Chromed, and the Stainless pieces stripped, and polished...not cheap, but so worth it..

Color is hard to photgraph, Looks alot more WHITE in person, and in the sun is very bright/almost sparkly...very happy w/ the end result...

Enjoy the pics, and I'll post more as the car is assembled!! -Jason

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 512
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 504
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 503
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 492
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 490
pics

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 491
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 503
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 495
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 489
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 500

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 487
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 489
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 486
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 490
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 497

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 488
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 486
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 480
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 490
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 481

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 476
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 474
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 484
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 485
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 492
''''''''''''

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 476
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 481
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 477
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 475
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 485
'''';'''''

Attachments

• 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 473
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 470
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 471
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 476
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 479

Attachments

• 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 478
  • 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 480
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 475
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 487
Very nice work. The molded in peices look great. But.... how long do you think the molded in pieces will last before cracking at the joints? I've seen several folks try it and failed months to years later.

Very nice work. The molded in peices look great. But.... how long do you think the molded in pieces will last before cracking at the joints? I've seen several folks try it and failed months to years later

I know, I know...had several people say that :(, and myself have questioned it...BUT, I've always wanted to do it, and thought how will I know, unless I try it...If it cracks, I have plenty of paint left, I'll cut a groove, and repaint the 1/4's.....

I doubt the upper fillers will crack, but the lower bumper filler, theres always a chance w/ the car twisting, I plan on installing as many braces as I can for the car..

I ground a pretty good v-groove in the fiberglass fillers, and used that long strand stuff you see in the pics (U-Pol Fiberall) Plus, I put Panel bond on the inside, which really stiffened it up...time will tell, thanks for the comments!!

Trust me, I KNOW how much work you got into it ! But its looking Great !!!!!!! Keep it up Daniel Ray