My 200R4 is shot, What do I need for a TH400?

ineil

I had my car in the shop to replace the torque converter, and found that the trans is shot. If I replace it with a TH400, where is the best place to get it, and what are all the parts I need?

I had to make a quick decision, so I went with a Performance Automotive and Transmission Center Level 3 Raptor.
This high performance Grand National type 200-4R comes with a larger than stock intermediate billet servo which gives firmer 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. This Superior / Fairbanks servo has an 11% larger apply area than the Grand National servo. It comes with the Mega Valve that raises the fluid pressure and gives a firmer shift and more holding power in all the gears, elevated pressure regulator spring, high output pump slide spring and an oversize low / reverse boost valve. These are the valves you’ve heard about. All of our high performance 200-4R transmissions come with a high performance Transgo shift kit installed and a heat treated sun gear shell. The stock seven-vane pump is replaced with a thirteen-vane high performance / high volume pump. Included is a 4th gear converter lock-up switch. The stock intermediate band is replaced with a Raybestos Pro Series Kevlar band. Full set of Alto Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels added plus a hardened shaft. I already have a new Pat's 2800 converter. Plus a free Hayden transmission cooler.
Total cost" $1,830.00

Just a question...

I thought it was determined that the 13 vane pump was actually less effective than the 10 vane. I read this somewhere...could be neither here nor there.

is this a brf trans? if not it will never shift right at wot. i never had any luck with the kevlar bands. i would ask them to install the altos wide band. im sure russ meritt could have built you a killer trans for that price.

I sure hope you're right. I really like the 200R4, and my broken one was great while it lasted. I have 184,000+ miles on the car, and probably over 50,000 on this trans. This new trans, Pat's torque converter should be a nice combo. I am also installing a new aluminum rad, front mount innercooler, and 2 3/4" dual exhaust, and to top it off with a new stereo system with all new speakers. Got a real nice bonus at work. My wife and son got more then they ever imagined this year, so I had some fun myself.

I sure hope you're right. I really like the 200R4, and my broken one was great while it lasted. I have 184,000+ miles on the car, and probably over 50,000 on this trans. This new trans, Pat's torque converter should be a nice combo. I am also installing a new aluminum rad, front mount innercooler, and 2 3/4" dual exhaust, and to top it off with a new stereo system with all new speakers. Got a real nice bonus at work. My wife and son got more then they ever imagined this year, so I had some fun myself.

contact brian on the board he will fix you up with an awesome tranny it is garanteed to hold up to 10's just go on feedback and type in brian. good luck on your search btw i wouldnt trust the raptor i heard bad things about there convertors. here you go a thumbs up. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tr...ockin-brian-hoffer-trans.html?highlight=brian

Yeah... Contact Brian;) :biggrin: :eek:
He may have one ready to ship out.:wink:
586-306-9996

Thanks, Brian

Sorry Brain, I already bought the Raptor trans. I was on a short time frame and forgot about you...Sorry. I did not buy the Raptor converter, I just bought one from Pat's converters.

I do not race the car at all. With the type of driving I do, I am sure it will hold up. These guys have a pretty good reputation for strong and reliable transmissions.

I do not race the car at all. With the type of driving I do, I am sure it will hold up. These guys have a pretty good reputation for strong and reliable transmissions.

get real now why put all that in your car and not have fun thats like putting a jet engine in a car and just cruise it around. dont tell me you dont beat it on the street

I do run against the occasional Viper, Porsche, Mustang, Corvette, or whatever, but don't take it to the track.

I do run against the occasional Viper, Porsche, Mustang, Corvette, or whatever, but don't take it to the track.

still ends the same results if running an average built tranny. not knocking your purchase just trying to help you with a better tranny

To answer the original question, the swap is simple. You will need a BOP style fill tube/dip stick, trans mount (either mod your stocker, or go w/ HR parts poly mount, a new shifter, new convertor, and a TH400 trans yoke. Your drive shaft may/may not have to be shortened ( you will have to measure this ). That's it. As for builders, I use Vince Janis, but there are alot of good tranny guys on this board. HTH, Brian

I got my GN back today with the new transmission, and converter. My concern was that the electrical connector for the lock-up was wrong. The mechanic was told by the shop who sold me the transmission to leave it disconnected. Besides not able to lock the torque converter, will there be any negative effects?

I got my GN back today with the new transmission, and converter. My concern was that the electrical connector for the lock-up was wrong. The mechanic was told by the shop who sold me the transmission to leave it disconnected. Besides not able to lock the torque converter, will there be any negative effects?

:confused: :confused:

If you paid for a lockup.... I wouldn't settle to not have one... besides.. if you don't lock-up the converter on a lock-up tranny... supposedly it builds more heat..... heat is not good.....

IMHO... fix the lock-up functionality.