Must be the longest membership with no posts and no intro

2sloUknow

Ok, so I just looked at my profile. I am a "new member" who joined the board in 2002! Wow. Slacker doesn't even begin to cover it lol.

I first found out about turbo regals in 1987 when my father brought one home on a whim. He had gone to buy a replacement for his Thunderbird Elan and came back with this BEAST! Anyways I learned how to respect the power, the less than adequate handling and the piss poor braking abilities as I learned to drive. Needless to say I didn't get the keys much, but when I did whoa boy!

Fast forward to 1992, I am in the navy and looking for a car. I found a 2 owner 87 gn with ttops (silly me I really loved those things) for 9k with 70k original miles. I actually passed on a retired fbi turbo regal because it didnt have t's. It DID have the grill lights , gun racks in the overhead and trunk, upgraded suspension and braking from the factory, and a LOT of early go fast goodies under the hood that produced low 12 sec timeslips. And a price 3500 less than what I ended up with lol (foolish me!) I drove mine hard and fast for about 5 years till I rolled 100k on the odo and shortly thereafter threw a bearing. At this time I had such grandiose plans for a slightly better than stock rebuild, but life got in the way.

Joined the civilian job pool ,met my wife ,had a little girl and didnt have time, or money, for a toy. I should done the right thing by my family & the car , but I couldn't bear to let her go. My daughter ended up with a diagnosis of neuroblastoma, a rare form of abdominal cancer, so the next few years were spent in and out of hospitals in the ny area. Thankfully our efforts were rewarded and she just started her first year at college last month.

All along the gn has come with me. First parked in my father's driveway. Then when I bought a house I towed it down the GSP and I started to get the grime and rust worked off. Had two more girls and started fostering my 2 nephews and again time and money went bye bye. Still couldnt part with her.

There have been 4-5 abortive attempts to resurrect the gn but each time something more important comes up. Top it with the lack of a garage and I am sitting with what my friends affectionately call the planter. Surprisingly little rust on the usual problem areas, ie trunk floor and cowl , fender wells, doors and jams. But a totally rotten interior due to long rotted weatherstripping. And floors. And a dead engine.

Been getting the bug ALOT lately as my friend finishes his monster 86 svo build, and I see alot of coworkers buying late model pony cars (stangs chargers camaros and even a g8). Coming back on here to see what kind of ideas and help I can glean, and also parts!

So theres my tale. Hope to see some of you at the track in, oh, say 18 to 24 months!

Rick

Great you made it back.
Post your pix and such.
I'm sure there are many things that are new since you've been gone.

Rich

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Welcome Rick, there is a jungle idiot on here that goes by notacarlo, has a cherry SVO for sale if your buddy needs another. Priced right too ;)

Nice story. Good luck with the resurrection. Maybe you could document your progress here.

Lol coming back with a vengeance. Just bought an 85 hot air TType with 80k miles for 2000. SCORE.

If you ever need any help wrenching and getting her back up and running and need a hand let me know. I'm willing to help wrench with what I know.
Welcome back!!! And get a rolling!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement fellas. Back when I was active with my 1st gn on si, there was a fairly large presence of these things in the ny nj pa area. A lot of clubs too. Any still around in the central jersey or jersey shore area?

There is still a strong Turbo Buicks presence around the NY, NJ area. They have get togethers every now and then. Keep an eye out in the North Eastern section. Your story has a coooool factor that is off the charts. Do you have any tracks near you so you can document your progress? Those oil spots under your car, are really tears from not being able to unleash the fury of being the quickest productions car made in the USA! You do NOT have a planter box! You have the Millennium Falcon in waiting...

The power of The Dark Side is strong...Unleash the power. You WILL be amazed at what you have been sitting on for all these years.

Welcome back and let us know what you need.

Mike Barnard

Thats good to hear. I just picked up the little runner in the pics that follow for what I consider a steal. Thought I was looking for a parts car for my 87 GN and I found this 85 TType for less than parts car money.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380861215579.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380861215579.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 72
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380861259199.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380861259199.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 66
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380861278461.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380861278461.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 65
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380861869647.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380861869647.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 60
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380861888952.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380861888952.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 63
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380862019762.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380862019762.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 60
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380862056000.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380862056000.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 79
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380862075498.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380862075498.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 76
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380862099464.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380862099464.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 66
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380862114305.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380862114305.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 62
Thats good to hear. I just picked up the little runner in the pics that follow for what I consider a steal. Thought I was looking for a parts car for my 87 GN and I found this 85 TType for less than parts car money.
That a parts car?! Looks mint. What's so parts car about it?

That a parts car?! Looks mint. What's so parts car about it?

Nothing. I was LOOKING for a parts car and found this 80k mile survivor. Needs a tune, bumper fillers and shocks. And 2 surface rust spots. Thats it. 3 owners. Prior owner painted it from the original brown to two tone grey. Needless to say shes getting stripped and resprayed the original color when finances permit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4