Mufflers

Been wondering the same thing. I have a set of Magnaflows on mine but I am not happy with them. The drone from inside the car is more than I want.

I would by the 3in system from cottons but I cant justify that when I can a good set of mufflers and take the car to the exhaust shop and have them build the 3in exhaust for half the price.

I have the 2.5" hooker catback system from Summit or Jegs, on both my TRs. They come with the Hooker AeroChamber welded mufflers. They sound mellow and not loud; no drone.

any muffler that is a straight thru design. Stay away from chambered mufflers.

any muffler that is a straight thru design. Stay away from chambered mufflers.

What he said. That being said, my Hooker 2.5" dual catback has the super turbo style mufflers and I only lost 4hp over open exhaust on the dyno in full race trim. I like the sound of the straight throughs, but I can't justify spending the money when my current setup is not robbing any hp. Mine have less drone than the straight throughs as well.

Red Regal T, how do the Aero Chambers sound? How bad is the drone? Can you post a clip?

What he said. That being said, my Hooker 2.5" dual catback has the super turbo style mufflers and I only lost 4hp over open exhaust on the dyno in full race trim. I like the sound of the straight throughs, but I can't justify spending the money when my current setup is not robbing any hp. Mine have less drone than the straight throughs as well.

Red Regal T, how do the Aero Chambers sound? How bad is the drone? Can you post a clip?

There is no drone. Now, I'm not too sure if the design is for optimum performance, but I have noticed over the years a lot of guys complain about the drone of whatever type muffler they're using. That's usually the case when you have loud mufflers. Aero Chambers are not loud. They are relatively quiet on a mellow note. I have a friend who uses flowmasters because he likes loud ... and it is very loud. Loud means drone at cruise. I can't even hear mine when sitting next to him. :eek:

hooker-aero-chamber-mufflers.jpg

They are not baffled like Flowmasters, so I don't see them being a HP killer. They definately can't be worse than mine, which are constructed like this:

superturbo_lg.jpg

I heard a 3" AeroChamber on a 02 Camaro SS with heads, cam, and long tube headers. It sounded awesome, yet ridiculously quiet and zero drone. This was on the same car that i could literally hear from over a mile away when he had a SLP loudmouth on it. With the Hooker, i didn't even hear his car until he pulled into my driveway.

There is no drone. Now, I'm not too sure if the design is for optimum performance, but I have noticed over the years a lot of guys complain about the drone of whatever type muffler they're using. That's usually the case when you have loud mufflers. Aero Chambers are not loud. They are relatively quiet on a mellow note. I have a friend who uses flowmasters because he likes loud ... and it is very loud. Loud means drone at cruise. I can't even hear mine when sitting next to him. :eek:

I have to respectfully disagree about an Aerochamber not droning.

I have a 3" single system (turbo to tailpipe) with an Aerochamber. It's loud, and drones at 1,800-2,200. It sounds really, REALLY good with a low powerful tone, but.....

Now..... a 2.5" setup with dual Aerochambers may very well indeed not drone, but a 3" single certainly does.

I have to respectfully disagree about an Aerochamber not droning.

I have a 3" single system (turbo to tailpipe) with an Aerochamber. It's loud, and drones at 1,800-2,200. It sounds really, REALLY good with a low powerful tone, but.....

Now..... a 2.5" setup with dual Aerochambers may very well indeed not drone, but a 3" single certainly does.

Well, in a sense, we're talking apples and oranges. I don't believe there is a single 3" system that does not drone. It's the nature of the beast. That yours drones with Aero-chambers proves the point. ;)

I'm using dyno max super turbo's

on my WE4, hooker system other than mufflers,
very quiet, nice!!!!!!! no drone at all! slight rumble under acceleration, but cannot hear it inside!

I have hooker aero chambers on my 57 chevy, 2 1/2 from the headers back, they are sweet, you hear them idle, not excessive, but under acceleration,,,,,,,,,,
they definately have a BARK! slight drone at cruise, but I'll add a balance pipe, and shoud be sweet!

Thank you all for the help. It seems like the aerochambers are the best bet, but I'll probably go with the 3in. with true duals.