Muffler Bearings going out?

Cbring

ForumRunner_20121010_105333.png

your going to need a left hand #2 phillips screwdriver to service that bearing.

and douse in plenty of blinker fluid during assembly.

When mine went out it the late 90's i installed dual overhead muffler bearings, just make sure you install the passenger side first so you dont over-torque the cv joint inside the 02 sensor bung... i found that using the lefthand #2 phillips was okay but what really worked was when i just used a torx head and jammed it in there real tight.

useless trivia: Model T's and a lot of cars from that era actually did have muffler bearings.

You guys do realize that there are actual "muffler" bearings on some cars, right? The Viper had a mearing assembly in it to opne the muffler up so it was a straight shot through. Some I/O boats also use what's called a muffler bearing on them to keep water out when the engine isn't running.:D

You guys do realize that there are actual "muffler" bearings on some cars, right? The Viper had a mearing assembly in it to opne the muffler up so it was a straight shot through. Some I/O boats also use what's called a muffler bearing on them to keep water out when the engine isn't running.:D

I guess you are right Charlie - my dump tube is kinda a pre-muffler contraption and it has a bearing on it so i guess its kinda like a "muffler bearing" - good thing i did change it over to DOHC though....now if i can just find my bottle of blinker fluid. I noticed my flasher was flashing real fast, i think it is a little low. :rolleyes:

When mine went out it the late 90's i installed dual overhead muffler bearings, just make sure you install the passenger side first so you dont over-torque the cv joint inside the 02 sensor bung... i found that using the lefthand #2 phillips was okay but what really worked was when i just used a torx head and jammed it in there real tight.
PASSENGER SIDE FIRED?!? Ah hell...

Make sure you use a metric crescent wrench for the install
Its funny you should mention that. I was given an irwin crescent wrench as a door prize and it was one that instead of a roller in it there were teeth to set specific sizes. That bitch was metric and would NOT work on standard bolts.

Its funny you should mention that. I was given an irwin crescent wrench as a door prize and it was one that instead of a roller in it there were teeth to set specific sizes. That bitch was metric and would NOT work on standard bolts.

i bet it makes a good hammer, tho.