motor's done!!

airwolf

My motor is finally done. I'm gonna do the install myself in my garage. I've waited a long time and spent quite a few bucks on this thing. My question is what do I need to look out for on initial startup. I know to crank the motor with the orange wire disconnected. What about cam breakin? I've read different techniques on the board and just want to know what the experts think. Is there anything else different that I should look out for??
This is gonna sound stupid but which side of the motor is the #1 cylinder, drivers or passenger side?? Got to get the plug wires right ya know!!! Thanks for the help!

Before you crank the engine, I would reccomend getting an oil pump priming tool (about $10 from your local speed shop). Its basically a long rod that you put one end into a drill and the other end goes through the opening in the front cover where the cam sensor goes, and slips onto the oil pump shaft. You spin the drill (which spins the oil pump) until you see oil pressure on your gauge. Put your cam sensor back in when finished, and set it.

For flat tappet cam break in, I have had 2 successful break-ins with the following procedure:
Start the car up and IMMEDIATELY bring the RPMs to 2400 rpm. Every 5 minutes bring it up to 3000, then back down to 2400. Do this for 30 minutes straight. Make sure your fan is on so you dont overheat the car. Keep an eye on your water temp guage.

The #1 cylinder is the front driver's side cylinder (closest to your alternator).

As for priming the oil pump, here's my recommendation.

I don't just spin the pump with the tool until I see pressure, I literally spin it for several minutes (not seconds, minutes). I want to make sure that the oil's being pushed through as much of th engine as possible!!!! Cheap insurance!

Borrow or rent a priming tool and spin that puppy for no less than several minutes.

I would think you do not want to crank the motor with the orange wire off, that is what using the priming tool is for. I never understood that anyways. The motor is still turning inside with no oil pressure even if it does not fire.:confused: The two motors i've broken in we got it primed with the tool, fired it right up, and immediately got it up to cam breaking in rpms's for the 20 minutes. You can make a priming tool with a junkyard chevy 350 distributer.

motor

Thanks guys, I'm gonna use a priming tool as suggested. My mechanic has one he's gonna let me borrow. I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way. Thank again!!

I like to break in motors without the converter bolted to the flywheel. It has less stress on the motor while breaking in the cam. I've done two motors this way and both are still running strong. If you do this make sure you push the converter as far back into the trans as possible.

Good Luck

Originally posted by Chris McDade
I like to break in motors without the converter bolted to the flywheel. It has less stress on the motor while breaking in the cam. I've done two motors this way and both are still running strong. If you do this make sure you push the converter as far back into the trans as possible.

Good Luck

First off... Airwolf congrats.. I am in the process of getting there myself but as you are aware already, B$njamin is not necessarily staying at my house. :)

Chris,

How long do you run it? What is the process, run for x hours, change oil, etc. Can you elaborate?

I do just like a regular break in.

Run 20 minutes at 2400rpm
I break it in with regular motor oil 10w30. Run it for about 200 miles. Then put some snythetic ( spelling) in.

hope that helps

This is my procedure and it works fine so far. Prime the engine with a tool. Once you have primed it for awhile 10 minutes or so off and on. Run the prime tool while cranking. Not long just a few times. Set cam sensor and drop in. Plug in cam sensor. Unplug orange wire. Crank until you see pressure on oil gauge. Double check that all is ready to go. Fill oil and add a bottle of GM EOS. Fire it up and run at 2400 to 3000 rpm slightly varying it a bit for 30 minutes to break in cam. Drain Oil and pull oil filter. Inspect oil filter. If all looks fine, replace oils and oil filter with fresh and start and run car. Drive 500 miles not hard not super easy just regular driving. Drain oil and inspect oil filter if all looks OK refill and install new oild filter. Drive 1500 miles and check oil regularly. Change oild and filter inspect filter. If all OK then turn it up. Some do not do it like this but I like to and so far no problems. I personally do not use synthetic until after the second oil change and the engine has about 2000 miles on it. This of course is assuming a flat tappet cam.