Motor running over the converter

Chris who?/

HOW in the world would ANYONE "enjoy" seeing him????
Bout the only types REALLY enjoying "seeing" him were his herd of "bovine beauties":D :D Oh, and the sheep and the goat too!!

Guess who??

Re: Chris who?/

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
HOW in the world would ANYONE "enjoy" seeing him????
Bout the only types REALLY enjoying "seeing" him were his herd of "bovine beauties":D :D Oh, and the sheep and the goat too!!

Guess who??

Hey, remember the 50's? You know...when you were about middle-aged? And lots of rod shows now use the theme "Back to the 50's or Stuck in the 50's?"

We are going to honor you with the theme....

Stuck in the 10's.:D :D

Hey Chuck,
How is that talking sheep? Since it's summer do you trim the wool? I know the temperture is pretty hot in Ga. Bahhhhhh

Oh yeah how is the latest convertor?, Had to add some tech.:D :D :D

Hows who??

Bob, don't know. I thot that the sheep AND the goat made the trip back to WA. state w/ your "bestest bud", but I guess they actually went to "LA", [lower Alabama] with you.;) I "herd" you Ala. boys don't trim their wool, just part it...Maybe that's another trik you learned while hangin w/ Cairns at the motel!!

As for the technical part of the post goes, the converter worked real well w/ 9# of boost!:mad: Had repeated loss of the turbo to I/C pipe connector. Tried to leave @ 15# and the rubber connector would stretch and slide out of the clamp.... That's fixed now and the roll bar is going in.
Should be ready in a week or two.

Did Yank offer to repair the convertor(s) for free??? Or was it out of warrantee?? Did your vendor stand behind it? Just curious..
They are still working on the converter. So far I've paid shipping to them once, and they paid the second time. Mike did say that if they just can't get it right he would refund the purchase price, and we talked a little about the $ to R&R it each time but since the story's not finished I can't tell you how it turned out :) .

As for the lockup converter for the th400, I don't know any more. Call Precision and talk to them, since I was told they made the converter and valve body add-on.

[Sorry to be slow in answering - been out of town.]

My wife & the city will not allow me to have barn yard pets, so I don't where those pets went. Never cared for wool anyway, and I try to avoid it. Saw you setting next to Chris at the the Tech session in BG, did he teach you anything?

Glad to hear you got the convertor the way you wanted it. At 9lbs of boost , how much was the RPM? Heck I pulled my engine to remachine the exhaust ports to fix a leak. I am going to do a couple of other things while its out.

Still "stuck" on the ATI's Bob!!! Ran 9.30's at 149.5 in Pops car in BG at 3550# on 21#,ran 8.20's at 168 in the race car, Harmon ran 8.90's,Rudbeck,Royer etc to name a few!!! gimme a call before you spend any $$$$$$, now is the time! (engine out).
Bill

Latest update: Got the converter back from Art Carr of CA. installed it last weekend got ready to test car and the shift cable broke. Had to go to the local Buick dealer and order it, came yesterday will try to install it this weekend.Mean time I shipped the other converter back to Art Carr in texas to have it loosed up. Maybe I will get lucky and the one thats in there will work.

REG

Ok we got the cable Innstalled and it shifts so we took it for a spin on the street.Its a dog below 3400 rpms but above that it comes on like a rocket.I think this one is going to be a winner it will spool up to 4000 rpms with your foot on the brake and make about 8 pounds of boost.This converter is definitely tighter than the last one A/C of CA did and a lot looser than the one A/C of TX did.For the way I us the car this might be the right one.Its going to be a couple of weeks be I can get it to the track.I will post the results. Any of you guys using the Neal Chance uint got results yet?

Note: This converter is the last attempt by AC of CA.

I was thinking about this thread yesterday and wondering how it was coming... Sounds pretty good so far.. 8psi @ 4000 sounds real close anyway!!
Let us know!!!:D

ks

Originally posted by Reginald West
Any of you guys using the Neal Chance uint got results yet?

Note: This converter is the last attempt by AC of CA.

I will not post untill I have completed the process. It will make sense to everybody when I update.

Ted

Update on the Quest for the Holy Converter.

Took the GN to Palmdale last Friday.
Ran a best of 10.72 at 127.
This with a track that was slippery and at 3000 feet elevation.

The good news is these runs were made at 26 psi and a rich fuel map. This converter launches well at 3700 rpms or better. 60 foot times were in the 1.6 range on foot brake only. Dad needs to work on the launch still but so far, we are going in the right direction.

The 10.72 pass was a solid run and the track held.

I believe there will be a FAST system put in the car soon as well. We are finally to the point where the datalogging features and the wideband O2 are essential.

With that I feel we will hit the mark of 9.90

I will keep you posted on any more runs. I am shooting for 10.3 or so before he puts the FAST system in. I want some good baseline parameters to work with before we switch.

Happy Hunting

Originally posted by Ted A.

I will not post untill I have completed the process. It will make sense to everybody when I update.

Ted

Still in process. It's not me that's all I will say for now.

Ted

It's been a while. My Neil Chance was behaving exactley like another member on the board here as both of us ordered ours about the same time. I believe they were built the same. I could not build ANY BOOST above 2.2 psi and that was at about 3200. The convertor was just too tight. My invoice date was 6/21/02 just for timing. I tried jockying the shims per Chance's recommendation so out she came and back in for a mere 50 rpm, but no boost above 2.2 psi. I cannot even race the car in this condition. I pull the convertor out, send it back to Chance for a new pump and get it back in about 1 week, which is cool. I go to install it, and it doesn't fit. It's too long. WTF??? I send it back to Chance and get it back in another week and guess what? IT STILL DOESN'T FIT!!!! the measurement is just under 6.5". I need 6.187. Chance buys the convertor back from me and I lost 2 monthes of time. All I can say is they gave my money back with no hassle. For $1899.00 should I have had this trouble?

I bought a Precision Vigilante 9.5" from Bruce Aldred. I made it out to the M7 event. Without getting into the details of every run, my best time was 10.28 and my best MPH of the day was 134.5. I picked up a solid 6 MPH in the quarter and run 30 MPH faster from the 1/8 to the end of the 1/4. I picked up 2 MPH in the 1/8. I went from my usual launch boost of 13 down to 7 for the 10.28. My 60' was a high 1.4. It was like driving another car. My best MPH with the old convertor was running 30 PSI. I was only running 28 PSI yesterday. I can't believe how much power I was loosing through the old convertor. I think my target lauch boost will be around 9 and that's all. There is tons of torque right there at lauch that was never there before. I lost a lot of time in the torque convertor fiasco, but I highley recommend going through a vendor for your convertors, as they know WHO to deal with and what to say. For $650.00, 6 MPH was pretty cheap.

Ted
Glad to hear that you got yours under control.I think we have solved our problem also. It took 7or 8 converter changes and a turbo change but its alive now. Friday Night at the track will confirm that.