Motor running over the converter

Lazaris you are about where my dad was a bit ago. The converter seems to be the last hurdle.

Originally posted by lazaris
Chuck,

You have too see when the converter got changed in stall if the torque multiplication ratio changed as well. One with a higher ratio will hit the tires harder. Its a combination of both things stall speed which gets it into an optimal rpm for where your motor makes power and torque mutiplication ratio. They effect each other.

Exactly. Two converters with the same stall can have 2 different torque multiplications.. I don't know how it works, I just know this is true... It may be better to play dumb about this and let Art do his magical thing..:D

ks

Our problem is that we changed rear gears from 3.88 to 3.50.

So we dont know if the gears helped or hindered.

In Vegas he ran 10.50.

palmdale ran 10.95.

speed was about the same

Reggie it does appear to be too loose that whyI asked for those different things like shift point shift drop etc. Yor dad thinks now its dropping 600 rpm as opposed to 1000, thats why I thought it strange that you said on the 2-3 it shifted a 5800 and dropped to 4800 but that you were 6500 at half track...
Theres different ways to create stall, clearances between the fins (impeller/turbine) pitch angle of the fins etc. Also how the stator is cut efects stall and multiplication ratio. The more multiplication the harder hit to the tires and more torque to rear wheels. The trade off is that when the stator has this high ratio it stops multiplying the torque sooner. This hurts the second half of your 1/4mi /top end pull.

It has taken me years to get the relationhsip between turbo and converter down in my head.

Now I realize I still dont know a damn thing about them.

I get the idea behind all of this. I am wanting a converter that loads the motor more so it can pull a full pass.

We are shooting for 9.9 here and I know the motor is capcable of it.

So it is the endless pursuit of the adrenaline rush.

CONVERTERZ

I agree w/ Laz. The stall and the T/M ratio are both to be considered in a converter application. The proof there is the car went 1.40's B4 the last change, then 1.5's after, w/ wheel spin AFTER the launch.
The thing that ticks me off is the constant rework and the time and labor to pull the thing out!!:mad:
My conclusion on our problem converters is the folks doing the changes are trying a hit and miss, instead of just saying they don't know how to do a turbo converter to start with.:eek:
The root of the problem in my case goes to the guy that ordered it, the "vendor". When I talked w/ the mfgr, he said there was ZERO info... "send me another just like the last one" was the comment.
The mfgr then goes on to say that the last one was a N2O converter for a 700" BBC!! WTF is this??? Actually, the mfgr is as much at fault in this as the "vendor". The damned thing should have NEVER been built until ALL the info was there. Afterwards,
I even sent him dyno sheets AND data logs.. And he STILL can't get it right!!!
Shoulda know RIGHT THEN I was in deep doo doo!!

Anyone tried either the converter that Billy Anderson has or a Neil Chance bolt together?? I understand the Chance converter is a piece you do your own stall changes on. Hi buck, but what isn't on these relics???;) ;)

Back to being "converted"!!!:D :D

Something to be said for the sound of a hi windin SBC.. say leaving at about a bazillion RPM w/ a 5 speed!!!:eek: BTDT

Re: Motor running over the convertor

Originally posted by 9SECVSIX
REG.
I never could figure how they rate a convertor on a turbo motor, anyway this ones just starts to lift the boost gague at 3200rpm, at 3500 it's about 5-6lbs of boost and that's what i told them I wanted when I ordered the convertor, I was luckey and they got it right the first time, i shift at 6500 and it will drop back to about 5700rpm, if I short shift it at 6000 it will drop to about 5500 . I did run a 224-224 pte cam with solid roller lifters, it was on 110 lobe seperation and would pull to 6500 with good 1.48" springs.
The motor is a 276" Champion heads and a T76-4bolt.

9secvsix.

Funny, after looking at my datalogs, my convertor does exactley the same thing. At the beginning of the thread I was beginning to think I may have had a problem. I am 60 footing good, but I would think I should be pulling some more MPH. I have a 218/212 Hydrolic roller and shift at 6100. I don't know I think I'll just blow the heads off trying to hit 130MPH.

Back to the never ending persuit for more speed :)

Update: The stall is right with this converter BUT we are still doing the same thing.

The 1/8th speed is 102 to 104 which is great. From half track to the finish line we are only going 20 to 25 mph faster. It seems that we are just not putting it to the ground like we should.

Back to the drawing board...............

Comments, questions anyone?

We are thinking a lock up converter at this point using a TH 400( I dont know if that is possible) or let Art Carr try it again.

What do you think?

:confused:

I am doing 108 in the 660. Then shooting through the traps at 128, so that only makes a 20MPH difference with mine. I do think the car should be MPHing better myself.

ANY HELP?

I said it before, you may have another issue besides the converter. I would look into the area of backpressure and then your springs. Whats are you going through the traps at. Whats your complete combination?

Originally posted by lazaris
I said it before, you may have another issue besides the converter. I would look into the area of backpressure and then your springs. Whats are you going through the traps at. Whats your complete combination?

Which one of us are you referring to?

I re-read this post and I didn't see what size converters are being used. It was recommended to us with the truck that for anything around 5000rpm or less that a 9" be used and possibly a 10". The smaller the converter the less efficient it is at locking up on the top end... The smaller 'verters also need RPM to help the lock up and with only 6000 rpm a 9" may still be too large..
Again I'm no expert just trying to remember the things I have heard over the years..

Something that we almost tried was to put in some small POS type converter that we KNEW would lock up. This would have helped us decide what kinda MPH the engine was capable of anyway..

ks:cool:

if you have a turbo 400 go with a neal chance torque converter he gave job spetters mustang 100hp to the wheels on the big end of the track dropping like a half secon a 7 sec car thats crazy to go from 8 to 7 with just converter

george

neal chance convertors

Does Neal Chance have a web site, also how pricey are the convertors. A 100 hp increase or even close to the rear wheels sounds like its worth it. Not to mention you get to become a torque convertor MAD SCIENTIST:eek: :cool: ....I would hope that the trans would need pulling only 2-3 times to get it right:rolleyes: :mad: TIA

JEFF

Chance converter

last price I heard, a Chance converter was in the $1700 range:eek: :eek: Hell, I paid $780, pulled it 3 times and paid LOTSA frt and got a POS that's now on the shelf and another AC that's in the car, [was used] and cost $500. There's the price of a Chance in 1 screw up!!
Also heard it's a LONG wait to get one.....:rolleyes:

Re: neal chance convertors

Originally posted by SPEEDSTAR
Does Neal Chance have a web site, also how pricey are the convertors.

JEFF

I was talking to an unnamed person at the Nats. He said, and I quote, "I finally bit the bullet and bought a Neil Chance converter". :)

He told me it cost him $1800. And their converters are the bolt together type.... this person told me you can change the stall yourself. He went on to say that Neil Chance Converters have found the secret to having a loose converter on the line and a tight one on the top end. Just what the doctor ordered.

I also would like to know how to get in touch with Neil Chance. Does anyone know? Chuck?

Chris

I have seen advertisements in National Dragster.. Maybe do a search in the web..:confused:

ks

Neal C???

Hey, curly... Here's the info on Neal Chance. Found it in the MOOSTWANG race rag.. RACE PAGES!!:p
Neal Chance racing Converters
425 E. South Av.
Cheney KS. 67025
Fone: 316-542-9869
Fax: 316-542-9986

Probably want to get your "uncle", Steve to call them.. He'll be able to speak in complete sentences and most likely knows more about your so called, "9 sec" car than you do... Or you could always call your "cousin":D :D

Originally posted by KEVINS
I have seen advertisements in National Dragster.. Maybe do a search in the web..:confused:

ks

Thanks Kevin....I found it where ya said.

Originally posted by UpChuck Leeper
Probably want to get your "uncle", Steve to call them.. He'll be able to speak in complete sentences and most likely knows more about your so called, "9 sec" car than you do... Or you could always call your "cousin

Cousin, Uncle? Remember, 9 second challenged one, you're into animals not family members. Or do your family members now have to be careful?:D