Motor running over the converter

Has anyone ever used a switch pitch tranny? My combo was in a another car that ran 10.29 @ 136mph with a switch pitch tranny, but now it's running 11.05 @ 120mph with a th400 and a 3500 converter with the same boost and everything else that the other car had is on this one. The new car gets better 60 foot times than the other car did. But it's slower. The new car weighs 150lbs more, but that shouldn't knock .07 and 16mph off the combo. A new switch pitch tranny should be here this week and I'll try it and see what happens. Good luck Tim

Back at this again. I was TOLD that the convertor in the car is a 8". I made it back out to the track the other week and lowered my autotrigger on the Felpro to get some info on the launches.

3.50 gears 28x10.5 tires about 3600# with driver.

Here's the scoop. 12psi boost 4800rpm. 1st to second shift 5950 down to 5650.......second to third 6000 to 5700. 660 MPH 106, through the traps 6200 at 130.8 (best MPH quarter time). After looking through the other logs, if I hold out the shifts the rpm drop increases to about 500. From the VE #'s and O2 correction, the engine is not taking as much fuel above 5800, so I think I should shift at that point(about). I turned the boost up and MPH'ed a little but NO BETTER E.T.

Funny thing is when I left at a higher boost, the car did not go any faster(e.t.). It didn't feel as if the tires were spinning, just aint any more there.

I have been in contact with Neil Chance, and I'm stepping off and getting one. The 10" bolt together convertors are not absolutley necessary they make welded together ones, but what's another 500 bucks for the bolt together one?? I talked to Neil Chance convertors directley and they explained things to me, but I will have to see it work at the track before I comment. I hope this isn't a mistake.

Anybody want to exchange some datalogs? I would like some opinions.

Damn, with your fantastic 60's you're doing somthing right.... :)

I have a Neil Chance converter in route right now. And we'll see if we both have made a mistake as you said...and an expensive one at that.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you....nice and loose for launch (this engine with the present converter spools instantly) yet too loose at the top end and not enough rpm drop between shifts.

When I spoke to Mark I think his name was, at Neil Chance converters, he told me the reason his converters do so well is that they're loose at the bottom and very efficient at the top with not as much slippage.

Guess we'll have to wait and see....but I really believe this is the way to go.

Chris

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
Damn, with your fantastic 60's you're doing somthing right.... :)

I have a Neil Chance converter in route right now. And we'll see if we both have made a mistake as you said...and an expensive one at that.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you....nice and loose for launch (this engine with the present converter spools instantly) yet too loose at the top end and not enough rpm drop between shifts.

When I spoke to Mark I think his name was, at Neil Chance converters, he told me the reason his converters do so well is that they're loose at the bottom and very efficient at the top with not as much slippage.

Guess we'll have to wait and see....but I really believe this is the way to go.

Chris

You probably talked to the same guy I did. He basically summed it up that it isn't hard to get the 60' with a loose convertor, but once you hit second and third is when it all comes together.

This is by far caused the most stress I have encountered in a while, especially with the price tag. I guess ultimatley it will be the convertor I need in the long run. Someday the Stage II will be going in, but I'd like to hit a 9.99 with the stock block first, and if it holds up I'll just play with it for a while.

Back to pulling the grey hairs out:)

Ted and Chris

Are the 10" bolted convertors that your buying , lock-up or non lock up, also which trans are you useing, 200 or 400, what stall are you starting with . TIA

Jeff

10" 4000 stall at 12 to 14 psi, per Neil Chance. Funny thing is he stresses more about the launch boost, what turbo you are running, than the RPM you want the stall at. He went into some basic reasoning on this, but I don't want to get my hopes up untill it works. I should have it in about a week and a half from now. If I am not on the board anymore, just figure that the convertor didn't work and I drove the car into the wall. :D

Running TH-400 with brake. It is not a lockup from my understanding, and I don't understand much about any of this. :)

Re: Ted and Chris

Originally posted by SPEEDSTAR
Are the 10" bolted convertors that your buying , lock-up or non lock up, also which trans are you useing, 200 or 400, what stall are you starting with . TIA

Jeff

I also have a 400 with a brake. I don't think there are any lock-up converters for this tranny.

Mine right now stalls at 3200 at zero boost. It used to stall at 2600 at zero and I sent it back to AC to have it loosened. It was better at 2600 than now I think but the best would be halfway at about 2900. I told Mark at NC all this....hopefully he can come up with the right stall. But if he doesn't the nice thing about the bolt together converter is you can just take it apart yourself and change the stall with a few shims you get from NC.

Chris

Ted and "Curly" converterz

Ted, my car is also in the same MPH range as yours and has had the same problem w/ a decent launch and short times of 1.45, [not as good as yours, but I do mine at 8#] The MPH is 132+ at 10.20. I also tried the added boost at launch and got nowhere.
I think NC has the right idea,[he SHOULD have for $1800!!]
I found that the loose converter, a 9" ATD, [Hipster] would not "lock up" down track and it showed up as virtually ZERO rpm drop between gears.[T-400 w/ brake and 3.42 gear, 28" X 10.5]
I feel that the 3 of us are all in the same situation. That of having to sort out converters. I have an AC in there now and will have some times to share once the roll bar is done... If it turns out the AC won't work, I'll most likely try the NC.
My car is a REAL street car, unlike the "2200#, HI 9 wonder from the NW";) It's important to be able to cruise w/ it on the weekends.. Too many "moostwangs" and rice to kill to leave it parked except for a track visit.
Chris, did they get the mods done at your home track?/ Steve said they were lengthening it to 1320' from 1000'.:D

Chuck before you plunk down $1800 look into the Pro Yank 4000 extreme. I really like it a lot. It has that posi lock up so you get the stall and torque multiplication you need at the line and the efficiency in high gear. Plus youll keep close to a grand in your pocket.

Chuck!I'm surprised at you.I've got a yank 3500 super thruster,n/l with internal posilock in a box that I can't wait to try out.Mine's got the six lugs to bolt to the flex plate[apparently Diesel truck technology].Should be fun.Apparently Yank can make the converters fit different trans app's.Mine was listed for Camaro/Vette app's,but they configured it to work with the 200-4R.FUBAR has one.I drove it and have ridden in the car when he hits it.Pulls real nice.
Don't know how it would work in a Stage app',but if the clutch holds,it should be great.

I know one guy with a TH400 running a Precision lockup converter. Apparently they have an additional valve body to control it (course Precision left out a plug the first time and he burnt all the frictions up with low line pressure, sigh :( , but they did eventually get it all worked out).

We don't have stage motors and only run 11-12's, but a friend got a Yank turbo thruster 2800 with kevlar clutch and it was great both on the line and the self lockup at wot. One ride convnced me to get a 3000 with the standard clutch. Mine was very tight at first, only stalling to 2400, and Yank said that the regular clutch needed to polish in (it drags a little all the time as a consequence of their self-lockup, and the stall should rise 2-300 rpm). Well, stayed tight for several hundred miles then over 3 days zoomed to about 3500 stall and stayed there until 900 miles when I sent it back. Haven't heard from them since (3 weeks now) about what they may have leanred. Meanwhile, about the same time mine loosened up, my friends did too and started to vibrate. He sent his back, and they have returned it but with no explanation and neither of us can get in touch with them. WIth a modified 2800 d5 I run 12.3-12.5 at 109-110, with the loose Yank I went 13.36 at 99.5, pulling 5400 rpm at 99.5 mph. Spoolup was great, however ;) . Anyway, from conversations with Yank they have other TR people with problems as well, so while they have a great rep in the LS1 world I don't think they have the TR-2004R's under control yet. They did tell me that they bought a GN a few weeks ago for testing (TE60, small cam, 009's, local guy who blew the trans) so I do have hope that they will get it.

The reason I picked the Neil Chance convertor is most of the fast low 9 and eight second TR's are running them (from my observation) with no negative comments. I believe in proven manufactures and parts. I'm not putting my $ down on a Yank convertor, as I have just heard of them a couple of monthes now. History has shown that when a product or manufacture is new to the TR market everybody rants and raves about how great it is. Time will tell if the Yank can do it right and it LAST in my book.

I also rememember vividly the 9.5 lockup convertor that followed the 9" non-luckup Art Carr about 6 years ago boasting how the lockup disk was bigger than stock and it was the convetor to end all convertors (won't post vendors name)....... Well, it had problems, and the guys who were running the 9" Art Carrs still are and have had great success. That leaves bad vibes about aftermarket lockup convertors especially for high HP applications. Just seems like another thing to go wrong.

Did Yank offer to repair the convertor(s) for free??? Or was it out of warrantee?? Did your vendor stand behind it? Just curious..

That's interesting Carl.....I never knew they had a lockup converter for the 400. Can you expand on what PTE did to the valve body and what converter was that. And you say eventually they got the converter to work properly?

As I get older, and hopefully wiser although sometimes I wonder, and after talking to AC who said loose at the low end, loose at the top end, I really would be interested in some kind of high horsepower lockup converter.

Ted....well said about us all jumping on the bandwagon when a product first comes out instead of waiting for it to be proven.

And also what you said about the 8 and 9 second guy using the NC converter is true. That's what convinced me to try one. The best way to go faster is to talk to those who are already there....and usually their experiences can save us some money in the long run.

Chris

Originally posted by Ted A.
The reason I picked the Neil Chance convertor is most of the fast low 9 and eight second TR's are running them (from my observation) with no negative comments. I believe in proven manufactures and parts.

Just curious.
Who are these fast guys and are their cars real light? The car weight makes a big difference and plays a big factor as does HP.. I know Bill Anderson has been running his special ATIs in the past and everyone knows how fast Bill always runs.
I wish the Neil Chance convertor stall could be changed without R&R the trans. Now that's a dream. Keep the facts coming. Heck, I might try one someday but at that kind of money. I would want it to be a sure thing. Oh yea, there is no such thing.

Originally posted by Ted A.
The reason I picked the Neil Chance convertor is most of the fast low 9 and eight second TR's are running them (from my observation) with no negative comments. I believe in proven manufactures and parts. I'm not putting my $ down on a Yank convertor, as I have just heard of them a couple of monthes now. History has shown that when a product or manufacture is new to the TR market everybody rants and raves about how great it is. Time will tell if the Yank can do it right and it LAST in my book.

Correct me if Im wrong but isnt the Neal Chance Adj version new???????
Anyway I can comment on mine and love it. I consider my car heavy (sig) and have alot more in it. I also ran a best of 1.46 60' on a footbrake not a trans brake. The average is low 1.5's due to tire spin so I feel there more in the 1.46 if I can hook it. The eff on the high end is tough to beat as well. Not a single problem yet Most of the converters mentioned werent the extreme seris. I feel these are the ones to get for forced induction applications.

Anybody got results using the Neal Chance converter yet? We are still shipping and re-stalling 2 A/C converters one in texas and one in CA. So far nobody has got it right. They are either to tight or to loose.When they can't cut the converters any more I am going to give up on the 400 trans and let Bruce build me a 200r4 with his converter and the lock up feature in it. Converters are a pain.

Bob,

Hope you and your family made it home OK...it was good to see you again in BG.

Dave Fiscus is now using a Neil Chance converter. As you know he wasn't able to do much comparing because of his other major problem....but it was Dave I was talking to about the converter. He was sold on what he'd heard....I imagine from others going faster than he is. And Dave's car ain't what you would consider a lightweight.

You could email Dave and ask him who else he knows is running one.

Reg, I expect mine to be here late this week as it has shipped already. I'll hopefully get it in next week and I'll let you know what I think.

Chris

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
Bob,

Hope you and your family made it home OK...it was good to see you again in BG.

I expect mine to be here late this week as it has shipped already. I'll hopefully get it in next week and I'll let you know what I think.

Chris

Hey Chris , we enjoyed seeing you again this year and hanging out at the motel. Please keep us posted on all the details on the convertor. I always like to see how close the first stall setup is to what you asked for.

Chris
I will be waiting to see what kind of results you get.I am sick of have to take this trans in and out.

REG