Motor on powermaster won't shut off

opzWE4

Ok, I know, I shouldn't have tried to keep using the powermaster brakes but I did.
I bought a Cardone unit and have it installed and I can't get the motor to stop running, so I shut it off after 20 seconds. I bled the master cylinder like the instructions said, by moving the acuator rod in about an inch and back out until I couldn't see any bubbles anymore. Then when I turn the key on the pump runs strong for the first 10-15 seconds and then it slows way down but will not shut off. Could it be that I don't have it bled good enough or that there's still air trapped inside? I have no leaks anywhere, but the pump just keeps pumping along slowly.

How's a better way to bleed the thing so that I know that I have all the air out? I'm getting really tired of this thing, I've been messing with these brakes all winter on and off, and I want to drive the dang thing but can't:mad:

If this keeps up, I'm taking it back to Autozone and getting my money back. I'll switch to Vacuum!!! I just didn't want to do that now that I have the new parts, but looks like I might have to.
HELP!!

The pressure switch could be bad, even on the new Cardone unit? I know it's a rebuild, but I thought that they would put a new pressure switch on it.:confused:

there is a reason the powermaster was put on your car. Since it has a turbo, your car does not produce enough vacuum to use a standard vacuum booster. So they used an electric vacuum pump to build up pressure. But brake fluid is thick and chews up the inner workings of the pump. So you could buy a pump of extrodinary quality and it will wear out sooner or later, (probably sooner). So you might want to see if you can get your money back,a vacuum booster will not work, . But like I was saying before they put on the powermaster unit because it just does not put out the psi. The only way to go is with a hydroboost, it works off the power steering pump and uses hydraulic pressure and puts out around 1400 - 2000 pounds of pressure. Check in to it, they were put on the first Grand Nationals. check out the post I have called "Hydroboost brake conversion" in the parts for sale category. But whatever you do do not buy a vacuum booster

Originally posted by Matt_S
there is a reason the powermaster was put on your car. Since it has a turbo, your car does not produce enough vacuum to use a standard vacuum booster. So they used an electric vacuum pump to build up pressure. But brake fluid is thick and chews up the inner workings of the pump. So you could buy a pump of extrodinary quality and it will wear out sooner or later, (probably sooner). So you might want to see if you can get your money back,a vacuum booster will not work, . But like I was saying before they put on the powermaster unit because it just does not put out the psi. The only way to go is with a hydroboost, it works off the power steering pump and uses hydraulic pressure and puts out around 1400 - 2000 pounds of pressure. Check in to it, they were put on the first Grand Nationals. check out the post I have called "Hydroboost brake conversion" in the parts for sale category. But whatever you do do not buy a vacuum booster

Listen, you can try to sell your hydra boost all you want. If somebody wants to shell out $600 or more, they'll give you call. As far as vacuum brakes not working on a turbo car, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. :mad: Don't put out bad information on this board. Like I pointed out to you before, GM installed vacuum brakes on Turbo Trans ams. Last time I looked they have turbos. :rolleyes: Understand? If you can't put out correct information, couldn't you move to some chevy board?
;)

I always considered a power master for my 89 Turbo Trans Am...

NOT :D

4 Wheel disc, and never have had any brake issue..unlike my Buick bretheren... ditch those power masters.. and get some reliable brakes.

vacuum vs. hydroboost

I'm not sure why there is any controversy. IF Buick thought that a stock Delco vacuum booster would have performed on a performance car with only 231 c.i. and supercharged, and with only 12" of vacuum, they would have saved a lot of money by NOT using the hydroboost on the 83-85 G.N.s, and NOT using the POWERMASTER. THEY WOULD HAVE DONE IT. Installing USED vacuum boosters with a 15/16 master, is risky, without at least getting it rebuilt. These vacuum boosters are now 15 years old. The number one problem with vacuum boosters (We rebuild them) is the engine heat cooks and hardens the diaphragms over time. With vacuum lacking, many guys opt for a $200.00 to $300.00 12v vacuum pump. These are noisy, and burn out in less than a year. So... with a used vacuum booster changeover, and a vacuum pump, you are up to the price of a new HYDROBOOST They are even oil cooled, and not subject to exhaust heat. If you want to hold the brake on, and spool up the turbo for drag racing, the p/s pump keeps building MORE pressure into the hydroboost to hold the car against the converter. We helped a drag car drop his ET's from 11.20's to 10.50's just by holding the car, and leaving the line at 5lbs of boost instead of 0 lbs of boost, all the way up to any stall speed. There is no pump load after you leave the line, so no power loss. the pump only recirculates. If you want to see the hydroboost it is on POWERBRAKESERVICE.NET aS FAR AS TURBO TRANS AMS, I think some were carbureted. When a carb slams shut, the engine then pulls a vacuum. With F.I. and an overdrive, letting off the throttle doesn't pull a high vacuum, because the engine still runs on. Suburbans are a good example of a vehicle that just keeps on going after the throttle is released. and they are a great candidate for a Hydroboost conversion. The 93-up 2500' come with hydroboost, so we know it can stop a heavy vehicle. Thanks!

Thanks for the "clarification". I'll certainly look into the $600 hydra boost brake system for my "carburated" Turbo Trans Am, my "supercharged" Grand National, and for my Suburban. :rolleyes:

I'll also be sure to get my ORIGINAL booster on my 67 Buick Skylark rebuilt, cause it will be going out any year now. :eek:

Unfortunately, you have again proved you don't know what you're talking about. ;)

I haven't had any problems with Red's kit, can't beat the price and I can hold 5lbs of boost with drag radials all day long. I replaced two Power Masters before going to vaccum. I certainly don't want problems with my vacuum brakes but it wasn't a whole lot of fun when my powermaster went out attempting to stop at a stoplight.

Wallace, what kind of engine do you have in that Cuda. Not to long ago we had one in with a bored an blown Hemi. It was quite an experience at idle. But, and not to step on any toes, do you think that a regular vacuum booster would have stopped that. The guy had been to at least 4 dfferent places before he came to us and had a hydroboost put on. After we installed it you could here the guy driving around out shop for about a half hour, there are tons of stop signs around, so he was punching it and stopping, punching it and stopping. He was having the greatest time because he never really got to really open up the throttle since he wouldn't be able to stop it. But realistically, the hydroboost puts out 1400 to 2000 lbs. of line pressure. And a regular vacuum booster put out a third of that, that isn't even consiering the fact that you have a turbo, which cuts that power output in half. We have been around for 50 years, and have put vacuum boosters on turbo and supercharged cars, but we do tons of modifications to it. If you are open to new things try one out on your Cuda, and you'll see what we are talking about

HYDROBOOST CONTROVERSY

O.K. O.K. JOHN, WHY ARE YOU SO TROUBLED BY SOMEONE OFFERING A BRAKE UPGRADE? THE HYDROBOOST CAME AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT ON THE 83-85 T TYPES. THEY WORKED FINE. BUICK THOUGHT THE POWERMASTER WAS EASIER TO INSTALL. IT WAS. NO HOSES TO HOOK UP TO THE P/S PUMP. THAT'S IT. THE HYDROBOOST WILL STOP THE G.N. JUST INCREDIBLE WITH NO OTHER UPGRADES. YOU SEEM TO THINK $600.00 IS ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD. GUYS LOVE TO BRAG ABOUT SPENDING $6000.00 ON THEIR ENGINE, AND HOW IT'S MUCH FASTER THAN THE OTHER GUY'S. THIS IS ALL BASIC "WHO'S THE BIGGEST AND BADDEST" GUY'S SPEND $2000.-$6000.00 JUST FOR NEW PAINT. GUY'S SPEND $1500.00 - $3500. JUST TO ADD ON 4 WHEEL DISC, WITHOUT BLINKING AN EYE. GUY'S SPEND $400-$1200.00 TO REBUILD THEIR POWERMASTER. THE HYDROBOOST IS A PROVEN UNIT. WHY IS IT NOW A THORN IN YOUR SIDE? I KNOW YOU SELL USED STOCK REGAL VACUUM BOOSTERS. WE HAVE DONE MANY OF THE SAME CONVERSIONS IN OUR OWN SHOP. GUESS WHAT? THE CUSTOMERS WERE NOT HAPPY WITH THE POWER OUTPUT OF THE VACUUM SYSTEM. NEITHER WAS BUICK...BOB S. MY PH 800 504 1060