Motor Oil Poll

Which motor oil do/would you prefer?

• Mobil 1 - Super-Syn

Votes: 136 70.8%
  • Kendall GT-1 High Performance (non-syn)

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Castrol GTX (non-syn)

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • Castrol Synthetic

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • Pennzoil Synthetic

Votes: 5 2.6%

• Total voters
The additive you are talking about is Zinc. It prevents the metal to metal contact scuffing or prolongs the protection or something like that. And yes it will screw up your convertor. But seeing as though mine is off after going through emissions, I think I will try it out.

As far as I can tell, it should work just fine. Like you said it is formulated with alot of that additive and also rated to keep truck engines clean for extended changes so my 2000 miles changes should keep my engine spotless.

Hmm.. Well how much more zinc could it have then the Kendall oil? And if it was such a worry with cat converters, why would Buick have used it in the TR's from the factory? Or there less zinc content in GT-1 then the truck oil? Just had me wondering.

Well I would think there would be more zinc in diesel oil then gasoline engine oil. I don't know if diesel engines use cats or not. I know that the delvac 1300 super says million mile oil but I think they do oil analysis vs oil changes. The analysis tells them whether they should keep going on the oil or change it.

I also heard the that STP oil treatment is a great source of zinc. Basically any additive that says keep away from your eyes has alot of zinc in it cause it is eye irritant.

I have seen this posted numerous times on the web and have read it several times in my search for oil answers. Click Below

OIL FAQ

Myths

>>>>>>>>>>>>Myths<<<<<<<<<<<<

===========================================
You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to Mobil 1.
============================================
You can start using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ in new vehicles at any time, even in brand-new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:
Chevrolet Corvette
All Porsche vehicles
Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
Dodge Viper
Ford Mustang Cobra R
All Aston Martin cars

One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil.

Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design these high-performance cars, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ can be used in an engine from the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.

You don't have to change the oil as often when using Mobil 1.
While Mobil 1 has given excellent results in extended oil drain tests, ExxonMobil prefers to remain conservative with oil drain recommendations. ExxonMobil engineers recommend that you can go all the way to the maximum mileage or time frame shown in your owner's manual for oil changes when using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. This allows the reserve protection capabilities of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ to cover unusual or unexpected driving conditions.

Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long as 15,000 miles on some new cars. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™'s high-performance reserves can give you the confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil monitoring systems that vary oil drain intervals.

=======================================
Mobil 1 can't be used in diesel engines.
========================================
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ will provide excellent service for passenger car and light-duty truck diesel engines (API CF or CD), as well as European diesel cars that require ACEA-quality oils. (This is the oil specification used in Europe and developed by European car companies.)

Heavy-duty truck engines that require API CE, CF-4, CG-4, CH-4 or CI-4 should use one of the products from the Delvac® line – Mobil Delvac 1® synthetic engine oil or Mobil Delvac 1300 Super®. Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic oil can help improve fuel economy, extend oil drain intervals, extend engine life, provide enhanced wear/cleanliness protection and reduce oil consumption. Delvac products can be purchased at a large number of truck stops across America, some retail stores, auto parts stores and from ExxonMobil distributors.

======================================
Motorcycles can't benefit from synthetic oil.
ExxonMobil offers three Mobil 1 fully synthetic motor oils for motorcycles:

Mobil 1 MX4T is recommended for on-road, high-performance, 4-cycle sport bikes, which are typically liquid cooled. It can also be used in air-cooled engines calling for a 10W-40 oil.
Mobil 1 V-Twin is a 20W-50 oil recommended for 4-cycle V-twin engines, particularly those that are air cooled and tend to run hotter than other types of engines.
Mobil 1 MX2T is recommended for 2-cycle motorcycle engines that specify the use of a pre-mix, 2-cycle engine oil.

Although Mobil 1 15W-50 has been used in 4-cycle motorcycle engines, ExxonMobil engineers recommend using Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oils, since they have been specifically optimized for motorcycle applications. Be sure to follow your owner's manual for recommended oil and filter change frequencies.

========================================

Mobil 1 will leak out of the seals of older cars.
=========================================

Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ was tested in dozens of industry standard and OEM tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made.

ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks. More to the point, an oil additive will not rejuvenate worn or damaged seals. The damaged seal may have been caused by a worn rotating metal component in the engine.

If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. ExxonMobil also always recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use.

I need to flush my engine before switching to Mobil 1.
No special preparation is necessary when switching from conventional motor oil to Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™.

==============================
You can't mix Mobil 1 with conventional oil.
==============================
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is fully compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils should it be necessary to mix them. But the superior performance of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ will be reduced by diluting it.

HTH :)

Crazi, thanks for that link. I bookmarked that one! That's some good info have on hand.

Oil myths and xylene

You're right about the oil myhts, except if you have built an engine yourself (or had one built) and it has not been fired. Then you need a conventional oil so the cam and lifters break in correctly, right? That's what all my car magazines say, anyway.
As far as xylene, you're right except for the trimethylbezene part (xylene only ever has two methyl groups). And since the first methyl group that is substituted (onto the benzene ring) will be an ortho/para director, the formation of ortho- and para-xylene will be much more favorable than meta-xylene. Perhaps not the most useful info, but I love organic chemistry! :D
(For those of you who aren't organic chemists, xylene is almost the same as toluene, just with a CH3 substituted for one of the Hs.)

TheNovaMan

The last word of the post was trimethylbenzene in the parentheses, right? Was going to continue it with a discussion of its properties/structure versus trimethylbenzene, but stopped at that late hour, and failed to delete it where I stopped.

Also, was going to discuss it is being an aromatic, & its properties as a gas, but realized the question I was answering was:
"Isn't Xylene an alcohol ?", & was getting a bit beyond it.

Like you, I enjoyed Organic & Biochemistry, but I do realize it is generally not the hot topic at most parties.

And once upon a time, many moons ago, I had a Marina Blue '66 L-79.

Welcome to TB.com & Happy Holidays!

:) :)

Oil

Amsoil 0w-50w Diesel.Shows best numbers for bearing wear etc.By the way,engines should be broken in based on the cylinder bore finish with respect to the type of oil used.

Re: TheNovaMan

Originally posted by Two Lane
And once upon a time, many moons ago, I had a Marina Blue '66 L-79.
SWEET! I bet you surprised a few guys with that one, eh?

Welcome to TB.com & Happy Holidays!

:) :)
Thanks, and Happy Holidays to y'all too. :)

I have used synthetics before. But I switched back to straight Havoline 30 w. Mineral oil based oil. Can't beat it. Engine is quieter, etc. Also living in central Texas we don't need mult-viscosity oil here.

I used to use Valvoline 50W racing oil in my Camaro V-8 for 15 years, no problems. :D Engine was clean as a whistle when I sold it, no sludge, etc.

All oil is good if you keep it changed.

I use Mobil1 15-50 synthetic.:cool:

That's all that has been in it since it was new with exception of whatever oil Buick had in it (probably Goodwrench).

I bought a '86 for a driver in the early 90s and converted it to the same. I think it's good oil and a good weight for these cars.

Exxonmobile Superflow Synthetic 5W-50 in both TRs.

TheNovaMan...Marina Blue 66 Nova SS L-79? I had one new, check-out my webpage...glenscars in my sig.

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
regular valvoline here

Yep, same here. 10-30 most of the year, 5-30 in the winter.
Coming up on 130,000 and hardly uses any oil. Why mess with success?
I do use Mobil1 in the newer cars though.

Originally posted by glenn c
Marina Blue 66 Nova SS L-79? I had one new, check-out my webpage...
Wow, you've had some awesome cars! How do you find places to store the ones you still have?

Digging up an old thread..

I think I'm going to use GTX 10w-40 in the winter, since thats what the previous owner always used and never had any problems. And in the summer, Mobil 1 15w-50.

My only remaining question on this subject is: Should I use the heavier weight oils (ie: 20w50) if I'm running the car at the track much? I'm told for racing its better, but for the street / daily driving that the lighter oils are better. What do you all think? What do you guys with daily or just frequent street TR's do, that take the car to the track every now and the, as far as oil?

Mobil 1

I run the Mobil 1 sythetic 5W30 year round. Heard it was worth about 5hp:D .............................................................