Motor Oil Poll

Which motor oil do/would you prefer?

• Mobil 1 - Super-Syn

Votes: 136 70.8%
  • Kendall GT-1 High Performance (non-syn)

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Castrol GTX (non-syn)

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • Castrol Synthetic

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • Pennzoil Synthetic

Votes: 5 2.6%

• Total voters
This is almost like talking about politics, But here is my two cents worth.

Synthetic oils are always better, and the best to buy bar none is ROYAL PURPLE just ask any pro race car driver ( NASCAR NHRA AND INDY) the majority of them run it even the ones that advertise for other oils.
They are so confidant in there oil that they have a 1 million dollar reward for anyone that can prove with the simple bearing test that we all have seen on those oil infomercials that another oil is better, And they have had this reward for many years and there has been no one to claim it yet.
I have personaly seen these test done with every type of oil you can think of even with oil additives and nothing has come close.
If you call the company they would probably hook you up with a rep. so you could see for yourself, The rep I talked with also showed us how the other oils did on the test and I was able to see them for myself and I do know that moble 1 is a good oil but it is the worst synthetic as far as pretection out of all, I cant remember what order they came in but I do know that valvoline and the castrol full synthetics were at the top but still was way under the ROYAL PURPLE results.
My dad also works for the public utilities company and thats were I found out about Royal Purple, they use this oil there on there coal crushers and other equipment and my dad has told me many amazing stories about this oil and things it has done, so by using the info of my dad and his experince at work with this oil and talking with the Rep from the company, and then finding out first hand that most race teams use this oil I made my decision I only use Royal Purple and have been very happy with it

xylene

It has been a long time since organic chem, but isn't C8H10 octane? I have always wondered how this basic organic plays into gasoline "Octane" ratings?

A Kendall GT story from some years back.

I always heard Kendall was best and bought it by the case. One day I'm changing oil and as I pour in number 3 bottle I notice a long string coming from the bottle. I stop in time before it drops into the valve covers and check to find a piece of plastic about 6 inches long curled up. It's white and looks like it came from the bottle. At this point (and ever since) I decide to put a section of screen in my funnel to check anything going into the engine. One other bottle has another shorter piece as I continued to fill her up.

I write a note to Kendall. I get somewhat of a form letter back stating they had a known manufacturing process problem and the bottle cutoffs were ending up inside the containers. So here is a free coupon for another case. What they didn't do was give me confidence they cared and were taking steps to prevent this problem. It felt like a complete blow-off.

Don't know if the plastic could cause any problems but I really didn't want to find out either. These motors have enough oiling problems without dropping something else in there.

I stopped using Kendall just because of the customer service. Probably still a great oil but how well will they stand behind it?

Oh, I have tried to tell everyone else to use a funnel and some kind of filter/screen - just in case.

oil

I like that cheap advanced stuff razor uses in the one gallong jug. Must be pretty good stuff. 132+ = :biggrin: I switched to it from castrol now my old t doesnt need an oil change every 500 miles. No if your wondering my blm's are under 128. I have a scanmaster. I just hated the oil I was using before. 5 miles & it looked crappy. :confused:

Always use castrol syntec.

The local Lambo and Ferrari mechanic swears by Neo synthetic. (tried it, couldn't tell much difference)

Another friend swears by Royal Purple.

Any thoughts on Redline?? A few of the guys on the Subaru (WRX) boards like that stuff. Kinda pricey...

i started using mobile1 in my 85 GN,and if it can live in a non-intercooled engine,mobile1 is the way to go in any TR. my 85 would turn regular oils to crap in about 1000 miles. i'll stick to what works.

I use Mobil 1 10/30 in several vehicles. On a side note, the marine engine supplier for my Mastercraft ski boat (340HP Corvette LT1) recommends Pennzoil marine 15-40 for all their engines. They claim this oil reduces running temp by 10 degrees, which I found to be true after switching from 20/40 Dino oil which they recommended until 2-3 years ago. They don't seem to favor synthetics at all. From the ratings on the label the marine version looks to be the same as the regular diesel 15/40 formula.
MLH