Most miles, and least miles, you got off a turbo?

Project TNX

What is the most mileage you have put on a turbo, and what kind of turbo was it?

Same goes with the least amount of miles you put on one, and if you know, why it went out?

I got 80,000 off of a stock turbo on the 86 T-type I had, that is if the previous owner was being honest with me on when he had it replaced. It was still working when I sold it, but spit oil and was quite loud, so it was due to be replaced. I never checked the play since I had already taken it off the road and had the intent of selling it when I did.

120k with stock boost and another 5k with 18 psi and wiped out the thrust bearing.

Actual miles unknown. If previous owner was telling the truth, it had a minimum of 100k (125k when he bought it thru 225k current miles just replaced). Stock turbo. I got it at 155k, so I know it lasted 70k.

My stock turbo had 180,000 miles on it when I sold the car, and was not showing any signs of age, like leaking oil, or excessive movement of the rotor. That was WITHOUT a dump valve, or blowoff valve.

Wow, you two did pretty good. honestly I thought 80,000 was good for mine, I never drove that car without spooling it whenever possible. I did do all the tune ups and oil changes religiosly though.

110,000 miles on mine, fingers crossed it holds up for a while, running
18-20lbs boost.:eek:

Just short of 120k miles. Actually it was fine on the GN, I swapped it out for a PT51 and then put it on my Gn powered Iroc and it only lasted maybe 2k miles after that, what a horrible shrieking that was!!!

My WORST was an ADP TE-63 that lasted LESS than ten miles. The first time I let it rip, and let off, the shaft broke in three pieces.:eek: I had another friend that had the same problem, though his lasted about 50 miles. The "owner" (ADP) claimed it was caused by ported heads and that the metal shavings could never be cleaned from the heads and that the debris caused the problem.:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: There is no way that any turbo company can have 100% perfection, but when you find the compressor nut laying in the intake tube, you can be sure that manufacturing practices are to blame.;) How a company handles complaints and issues, is what separates the men from the boys.:)

I still have my stock one off my first '86 T-type that has at least 230K on it. It never blew oil, end play is very slight, not even enough to really worry about on a stocker. Only replaced it because I wanted more!!!

My stocker went at 230k and was in good shape when motor broke lose.
Since than i've had numeruos PTE and Limited which none lasted long.
About 1.5yrs ago purchased a te-61 and last month it broke.

What turbo brands LAST? Then (not to hijack the thread here.. )

But do turbonetics last any longer than the Precisions or Limiteds?

I had one of the first 4 PT54 turbos Precision offered for sale and put roughly 40k on it myself over 6 years and it was flawless and as tight as the day i installed it. Then i lent it to a friend and within a month he put metal through it so i had it rebuilt before it could develop excessive thrust. I ran it at 25 psi regularly the whole time. More than 9 out of 10 failures ive seen were operator error and not the manufacturers fault even though the manufacturers generally eat most of these. Almost always contamination in the oil or debris sucked through the compressor.

What turbo brands LAST? Then (not to hijack the thread here.. )

But do turbonetics last any longer than the Precisions or Limiteds?

Don't worry about it, that is what I wanted to see.

200k + miles on any turbo is impressive as hell, wow.

101K on a stocker that's still on the car.

You know it's funny when i was car shopping my dad thought that turbo woudn't last on the car. THat was 23 years ago.