Moser M9 with Wilwood Disc install

Nero328

I finally got a chance to get in the shop this weekend and get my rear end and brakes installed. There were a few things learned that I figured I would bring up and show a few pictures incase anyone else is thinking of doing this. I decided to fabricate some brackets and mount my brake line (see pictures) because of this it meant that I couldn't have Moser powder coat the housing. I decided to try "VHT Roll Bar and Chassis" paint and I am glad that I did. It is great paint and is also very thick...I am pleased with the outcome. The unit did not come with any instructions other than the brake install which made me really take a look at it and take my time. It wasn't too hard to get it right however I would think that they would be better off adding instructions online...there are instructions for F-Body's but I guess the market isn't large enough for AF-Body instructions? One question I still have is the torque spec on the aluminum center section...anyone have an answer for that one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 322
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    770 KB · Views: 296
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 273
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 259
Nice, I have a similar set-up on my 87 Regal Limited Turbo T. But I went Chris Alston's Chassisworks Fab 9(G Body) with 40 spline Strange S/T Series axles, Detroit Locker and 3.70s. Only issue I had was with my 5/8" stud kit. I had to find a different set of rear wheels, since I didn't want to drill out the stock originals to fit.

Attachments

• 1446446835874.jpg
    1446446835874.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 1446446853823.jpg
    1446446853823.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 224
  • 1446446881522.jpg
    1446446881522.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 1446446897024.jpg
    1446446897024.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 1446446914357.jpg
    1446446914357.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Nice, I have a similar set-up on my 87 Regal Limited Turbo T. But I went Chris Alston's Chassisworks Fab 9 with Detroit Locker and 3.70s. Only issue I had was with my 5/8" stud kit. I had to find a different set of rear wheels, since I didn't want to drill out the stock originals to fit.

I see you went with the alluminum housing also...do you remember what torque spec you used? I also like the back brace look but I just didn't think that I would need it...I regret not doing that now. I guess I could always order them and weld them later.

Last edited:
Have you put the car on its feet yet? That lower shock geometry looks a bit extreme, compare with the pics from rodruckus.

Very nice guys, since the posi is losing some grip and I'd like disc brakes, this is next for my GN. Did you have to shorten the driveshaft? Haven't decided between Moser or fab9

Actually, it's 4130 alloy that I had chrome plated, not aluminum. Off top, no, I don't have the torque specs.

I had a custom 3.5" aluminum driveshaft balanced and fitted to my application, so I'm unaware of the length vs stock.

Last edited:
Very nice guys, since the posi is losing some grip and I'd like disc brakes, this is next for my GN. Did you have to shorten the driveshaft? Haven't decided between Moser or fab9
No, I used the stock driveshaft and it fit perfectly, I did have to change the rear u joint in order to match up to the 9" but other than that it was a simple fit. So far I am happy with it but I haven't gone out to hit it yet so I can't say if it is solid...we will find out. I plan to bolt the MT Streets up to it after a little break in run and then I'll poor the coals to it!

Have you put the car on its feet yet? That lower shock geometry looks a bit extreme, compare with the pics from rodruckus.
Yes, it doesn't get any better on the ground...I am going to take a look at it tomorrow evening and try to figure out why it is so radical.

I'd expect it to get worse when compressed but for the fact the shock body is coming up against the nut and cannot articulate any further. It's like the lower perches are located for something other than a G Body. I'd send the mfr a picture and ask them to explain.

-Edit-
Did you mount them to the wrong hole? Look at rodruckus' pics again, the shock stud is pointing outwards towards the wheels, yours are pointing inwards. Thing is, if you used those other holes it looks like the shock might touch the caliper?

-Edit2-
Is your exhaust in contact with spring/airbag??

Last edited:
When you stay the kit came with no instructions, you mention AF Body. What type of car did you install the Moser in? Because, the Chassisworks Fab 9 I installed was G Body specific and fit into my 87 Limited with ease. Did you maybe purchase the wrong housing for your car?

I installed the fab 9 housing with a aluminum center section. I went over kill. I did 40 spline axels , gundrilled and star flange. 5/8 studs with the moser disc brake setup. I also opted for the back brace. Figure I will only need to buy once.

Attachments

• 1446601103891.jpg
    1446601103891.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 1446601122082.jpg
    1446601122082.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 98
When you stay the kit came with no instructions, you mention AF Body. What type of car did you install the Moser in? Because, the Chassisworks Fab 9 I installed was G Body specific and fit into my 87 Limited with ease. Did you maybe purchase the wrong housing for your car?
I'll admit that I am not the smartest guy in the room however I assumed that since I was on a Turbo Buick board it would be assumed that I was dealing with a GN or T-Type. I installed it into a GN, once again I am certainly not a genius but I did order the rear end for an 87 GN. Now I can't be 100% positive that they sent me the right one...I am going to call them in the morning and send a few pictures and see what they say.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    769.7 KB · Views: 117
I'd expect it to get worse when compressed but for the fact the shock body is coming up against the nut and cannot articulate any further. It's like the lower perches are located for something other than a G Body. I'd send the mfr a picture and ask them to explain.

-Edit-
Did you mount them to the wrong hole? Look at rodruckus' pics again, the shock stud is pointing outwards towards the wheels, yours are pointing inwards. Thing is, if you used those other holes it looks like the shock might touch the caliper?

-Edit2-
Is your exhaust in contact with spring/airbag??
It is possible that they sent me the wrong housing...I am going to call them in the morning. You are right, if I put the shocks in the other hole they would hit the calipers. As for the spring, yes it was hitting the spring but it has been moved now.