Moser 9" rear end replacement

89mulletbird

My stock rear is about done on my TTA, it makes some friction noise while driving and the posi has turned into a bucking bronco when I roast the back tires, bucking side to side violently.

What all is needed to put a Moser 9" rear in these cars, and where is a good source to buy it??

Used a rearend out of a 2000 firebird Torsen type 3 5/8 wider. stock wheels stick a little past fender lip looks like a widetract
for raceing I have 2000 wheels painted gold with M/T DR s on them. This keeps burnout debris going all over the car.Cash out lay $ 250. A big + is much bigger rear brakes and you can use Your stock emerg. brake cable also welded tourqe tubes to center section. Good Luck, Ed

I have the strange Dana S60 and it just bolted right in no problems at all, fast shipping, good customer service and great product so far. I have only raced the car with it once but it works great compared to the old 9 bolt. I did have to shorten the drive shaft. I think I paid about 3k and got new disc brakes and new calipers too.

Jarred.

i bought my 9 inch used from grumpy .... i have a low mile stocker if u need 1 $500 plus shipping ?

u got to figure the price for the bolt in drive shaft get a good drive shaft a dennys then good 3220 joints a good center section with gears ... and axles it adds up quick . you plan on running fast ?

I dunno how many times? I put in the S60 and put my 9 bolt in another car, and I still drive it. That does not mean it won't break on my next burn out and I am pretty sure the posi is screwed on it already.

I think one of the big deals with the 9 bolt is the 3 pint capacity for fluid. You need to be on top of maintenance if you want it to live. Rear end service is one of those areas of the car that never recieves attention. Oil breakdown with both time and use. Drag radials are harder on the rear end.. coupled with the high torque these motors make.. ther you have it.

If your planning on staying the course and keep on racing the car, bite the bullet and get the 9 inch. Now there are ways to save dough.. like buying the housing, axles, and adapter from Moser.. Then buying the chunk from craigslist/ebay/local source.. and getting the brakes from a 98+ 4th gen F-Body..

Three companies. Currie, Moser, and Strange. Just do your legwork. Most used 9 bolts left are from GTA's or Iroc's that have a gillion miles. meaning lack of maintenance, possible posi problems, etc..

If your not racing anymore.. that 500 dollar rear end from 2QUICK2B6 is a steal.

Fast is a relative word. low 7's 1/8th = low 11's 1/4mi. This is plenty fast to f*ck up a stock rear. I assume that is what you were alluding to, if I should just put another stock rear in the car?

My combo is in my sig also.

How many times? :p

I've done probably 200+ passes, 500 corner drifts and another 100 burnouts on mine.

If you plan on staying with this game plan.. get the 9 inch. And you will break the 9 inch eventually, neat part is parts are readily available and cheap.

Julio, curious on your opinion of the 12 bolt?

The 12 bolt is a strong unit. As is the Dana. It is said the car should be faster with the 12 bolt.

What I like about the 9 inch is the gear changes/chunk changes are easy for the garaje floor mechanic to accomplish.

Example.. FORD 9" INCH 3.25 28 SPLINE POSI THIRD MEMBER | eBay

These type of adds pop up all the time. Granted i'd do the 31 spline.. but a little searching.. its doable.

You know whats a awesome rear end that is plentiful.. The Ford 8.8 like out of a 5.0. They actually make kits now to put them on G-Body's.. since the OEM 10 bolt 8.5 is so expensive. Too bad nobody makes a conversion yet. My Mustang when I got had a TQ arm on the 8.8 from Maximum Motorsports and a Panard from Griggs. So there are kits to adapt the 8.8 to a TQ arm setup.

Gotta run :D

I went with the Moser 12 bolt, 33 spline years ago. The 12 bolt hypoid gearset arrangement eats up less of your hard earned horsepower.

how about the LSD?

Thanks for the nice advice. The TTA is definitely my tire burning toy so it will see many more miles of abuse. I'll look into the 9" and 12 bolt.

I see they have a few options for the LSD for these rears: spool, Trutrac and Locker??

My car will never see a twisty roadcourse. Mostly powersliding, burnouts, and drag racing with slicks. What would be the best for my application? Pushing about 500-550HP at the moment and will not likely be upgrading the engine much more. It's already unusable power on the street.

My stock rear is about done on my TTA, it makes some friction noise while driving and the posi has turned into a bucking bronco when I roast the back tires, bucking side to side violently.

What all is needed to put a Moser 9" rear in these cars, and where is a good source to buy it??

The Guys at TRZ Motorsports (Mike & Todd) are dealers for Moser and Strange. Several of our customers have ordered complete rearends from them. Check them out and see if they can get you what you want at a reasonable price. Tell them Hartline Performance Sent you!!
TRZ Motorsports

Thanks for the nice advice. The TTA is definitely my tire burning toy so it will see many more miles of abuse. I'll look into the 9" and 12 bolt.

I see they have a few options for the LSD for these rears: spool, Trutrac and Locker??

My car will never see a twisty roadcourse. Mostly powersliding, burnouts, and drag racing with slicks. What would be the best for my application? Pushing about 500-550HP at the moment and will not likely be upgrading the engine much more. It's already unusable power on the street.

Its also a $$$ deal. You can spend some serious coin in the center section. Example a 9 inch on the cheap side will have a regular case and mini-spool. On the upper end will have a detroit locker, nodular case, billet pinion support, 1350 yoke, and the large bearings. For a street car I like the limited slip like a Trac-Lok which was oem Posi unit on pretty much all Ford Built. And get 31 spline.