Morel Lifters?

lost2a6

I'm wanting to soon replace my clicky comp lifters that have been in my car since 2001. I thought that the Morel lifters were going to be the cure however I have been reading that some people have been having problems with them as well. So have the Morel Lifters turned out to be junk as well? I've noticed that TA Performance no longer has them listed on their on line catalog.

I have morel's in my car and once the oil gets hot the morels get loud. I went with the morels because during my research they are supposed to be significantly quieter that the comp. NOT TRUE in my case.

D

Yeah....what he said although if they get the job done, then the noise is secondary to me.

Between the CompCams 853-12, CompCams 885-12, and Morel lifters... I've found the CompCams 885-12 to be the quietest. For price-point the Morel's are attractive. I've had too many issues with the 853-12 to use them again.

K.

There is an advantage to some with the 885 lifter. I dont use anything but them on my engines. They always sound the same

If i use vr1 20-50 oil,, valve train will be noisier then if i use 15-40 oil with the morels ,this is with stock rockers....15-40 is very quite

from the little research ive done, it might be more of a problem with the cam itself than the brand of lifters. my hypothisis is as follows

(please correct me if im wrong)

hyd. roller cams are always gonna be kinda loud, this is mosly due to the fact that the ramp rates always enter from....and dive right down to the base circle of the cam with no effective "transition/softening" of the valve landing on the seat... and with the hyd. nature of the lifters taking some of the noise out of the valve train (but not all of it :mad: )... i think alot of hyd roller valvetrain noise is due to the valve getting dropped on the seat,

on the opposite side you have solid roller cams, which are setup to have alot of "ramp rate". But just before the copious ramp rate begins, the cam has a very soft inital ramp rate to take the slack out of the solid valvetrain....basicly a quiet "snugging up" of the lifters to the pushrods/pushrods to rockers/rockers to valvetips just before the heavy ramp rate takes effect.

then you have those damn roller lifter link bars that make a little clatter too

any thoughts?

The Comp 853s have two problems. They're very clicky, and many of them wont pump up. All the Morels that I've seen are about half as clicky as the Comp 853s, and they don't seem to have problems with not pumping up. The very first set of these Morels ever made is still running strong and quiet in my 10 second GN. I've got between 500-600 passes or dyno pulls on them with zero issues. I'm still not exactly sure why hyd roller lifters "click". My guess is tolerances. Either the link bar, or the lifter getting side loaded while going up, or coming off the top of the lobe.

Mike Barnard

Two very good explanations but they still don't explain why they valvetrain doesn't get noisy until the engine warms up. Mine are very quiet for the first 15 minutes after initial start up the clickity clack.

They were noisiest with the VR1 racing oil also. Since i went with castrol gtx ( i believe ) they have become quieter. I will try the 15-40 next.

Also, when i added some CD2 detergent after a warm up they lifters went instantly quiet. Then after about a half hour they became noisy again. Oil pressure also dropped dramatically with the CD2.

D

Two very good explanations but they still don't explain why they valvetrain doesn't get noisy until the engine warms up. Mine are very quiet for the first 15 minutes after initial start up the clickity clack.

They were noisiest with the VR1 racing oil also. Since i went with castrol gtx ( i believe ) they have become quieter. I will try the 15-40 next.

Also, when i added some CD2 detergent after a warm up they lifters went instantly quiet. Then after about a half hour they became noisy again. Oil pressure also dropped dramatically with the CD2.

D

First off, let's define "noisy". On my car with Morels, if I'm sitting in the car with the windows down, or standing in front of the car, I hear no "clicking". If I open the hood and put my head over the fender, I can hear a light clicking. If I stick my head over the engine, I hear the sound of clicking at about the same volume as the rest of the engine niose. At no time do I hear clicking while driving. With the Comp 853s I always heard the clicking.

Just how noisy is your valve train? Is it a lifter that's not pumping up? Preload not adjusted properly? Just how low is your oil pressure? Rocker arms hitting valve covers?

Mike B.

If there is enough preload in the lifters they will be much quieter. For some reason most people here will not put enough preload in them to make them quiet.
Mike

If there is enough preload in the lifters they will be much quieter. For some reason most people here will not put enough preload in them to make them quiet.
Mike

Mike, what do you suggest for preload, .140-.150"? What is their total travel, .200"?

K.

Have to agree with Mike on this as I had two Morels that were pretty ticky, gave them another 1/4 turn of preload and they are still nice and quiet. Iv'e got around 15.000 miles on these Morels (been in two engines) and with straight VR1- 30 weight oil my lifters are quiet and believe me I know what noisy lifters are. Comp cam pieces of S--T !
PS. I started out with a 1/2 turn on rockers and ended up going 3/4 turn, thats about 37-38 thous.preload with T&D rockers.

.050 - .060 is a good place to start. .030 or less and either brand will make noise no matter what you do.
Mike

I am using 1.60 Harland Sharp rockers and i did the preload at a half turn after there was no play as per the directions. maybe it needs a bit more. Once my car is warmed up i can hear them standing outside the car, sitting in the car, standing behind the car. Maybe i'm doing something wrong. Once the car is together i will bring it to one of the pros on here for proper advice before i change anything. I apologize if i came out a bit too harsh but this is my personal experience.

D