Monte Carlo Build-up / My Other G-Body

HyperV6

My Dad bought the Monte Carlo brand new in 1985; and I actually went to the dealer with him when he picked up the car in July 1985. The car was ordered with a 305 Chevrolet V8, 200R4, and 3.08 posi rearend. In 2000, I got the car from my Dad with 100K miles on it and have keep it original until 2013. The car ran fine but just not a lot of power. I decided to install a new small block Chevrolet engine in the car. Yes - I thought about a Buick turbo V6 but wanted to keep the Chevrolet all Chevrolet. I installed a GM Performance Parts ZZ383 engine with 425 horsepower / 450 torque. I also had Vince Janis build me a CZF 200R4 out of a 1987 Monte Carlo SS. I also installed a PTC, non-lock-up, 10 inch, 2800 rpm stall torque convertor from Dusty Bradford. For the rearend, I bought a 8.5" 10 bolt posi from a local Buick club member. I had a new aluminum drive shaft built for the car since the original was too long with the 8.5" 10 bolt rearend. On 6/19/13, I took the Monte Carlo to the drag strip for the last time with the original engine/trans (I already installed the new rearend) and it ran a best of 17.038 @ 79.37. After getting everything install and broken in, I took the car to the track on 11/1/13 with the new engine/trans and it ran a best of 12.342 @ 109.83. On 11/9/13 I ran a best of 12.265 @ 110.58 with a little carb tuning. The car has picked up 30+ mph in the quarter mile and reduced the ET 4.773 seconds. I'm very happy with how the car turned out. With some more miles on the car and more tuning, I think it will pick up a little more. Yes - my Regal T is still faster than the Monte Carlo.

Craig
MC 10-20-13 036.jpg
Tran Rear Eng 011.jpg
Monte Engine Install 9-2013 042.jpg
Monte Engine Install 9-2013 012.jpg

Craig this is awesome…. i don't know how i missed this thread….. Cant wait to see it in person.

aaron

nice build... I have the same motor in my 88 GTA.. my stupid ass went with the TPI setup all brand new parts ETC.never got it to run right, so I gave up on it. should of went with a carb setup from the beginning.
what carb and manifold did you go with.. I would like to convert it to carb and put it up for sale.
Pete

nice build... I have the same motor in my 88 GTA.. my stupid ass went with the TPI setup all brand new parts ETC.never got it to run right, so I gave up on it. should of went with a carb setup from the beginning.
what carb and manifold did you go with.. I would like to convert it to carb and put it up for sale.
Pete
What's wrong w/ the way it runs?

needs a good tune.. takes a few extra cranks to start. open throttle feels like its getting choked. and everything is brand new less than 1,000 miles. 58mm ported throttle body ported plenum. injectors not sure of the size. air intake walbro255 fuel pump, with hot wire kit. guess it needs a good doctor that knows what they are doing to get it running right.

nice work son. looks really good that's a sweet sleeper. lower the front end and a ss reardeck spoiler and a bottle w/150shot and you will be done.

The engine has a Edelbrock performer RPM air-gap vortec manifold and Holley street avenger 770 cfm carb. The front suspension is 100% original. It does sit a little too high in the front. When I rebuild the front end in the future, I think I'll lower it an inch or two.

With 150 shot of nitrous it would really get it. After taking it to the track twice, the rear gears really should be a 3.73 and the convertor should be 3200 rpm to maximize the car. I think for now I'm just going to have fun with it once spring comes.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Craig

A good friend of mine is very good with the tpi cars and has his own prom burner to burn his own chips for custom tunes he sets up, I can put you in touch with him if your interested and he can get your too straight for you.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

85turboT that would be great. send me his info. car must go by the spring. don't have the room for 3 cars.

I used the following for headers / exhaust:

Hedman Header Shorty Coated p/n: 66609

Hedman 2.5" flanges p/n: HED-21112

Header Gasket Remflex p/n: RF2042

header bolts - ARP 5/16 wrench p/n:
400-1109

Exhaust System - 2.5" Pypes p/n: PYE-SGG10R

The headers are made for Fast Burn heads and fit the g-body. I couldn't find headers for Fast Burn heads that were full length that fit a g-body. A guy on the Monte Carlo board told me he used these. They fit the head ports right and car. I did have to change the shifter linkage a little since my car is a column shift with a 200R4. I can fill you in on those details if you need.

Craig

ZZ383 Eng 003.jpg

I got the same headers. What did you end up using between the header and pypes exhaust? I have virtually the exact same setup.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I had a local muffler shop bend some 2.5" aluminized pipe from the header to the Pypes stainless steel. The bends was not manderal bent. It could have been a little better but the shop that could of done that work for me use busy for months. I was wanting to get the car going and to the race track prior to the end of the season 2013.

Do you have a ZZ383 engine in your car?

If you want I can tell you how I have mine set up - timing and carb.

Craig

I had a local muffler shop bend some 2.5" aluminized pipe from the header to the Pypes stainless steel. The bends was not manderal bent. It could have been a little better but the shop that could of done that work for me use busy for months. I was wanting to get the car going and to the race track prior to the end of the season 2013.

Do you have a ZZ383 engine in your car?

If you want I can tell you how I have mine set up - timing and carb.

Craig
Its actually a zz430 clone. Basically a zz4 350 shortblock with fast burn heads and hot cam. From what I've been reading, it seems most set the timing at 34 degrees. Did you have to change jets? I hear its pretty easy with the street avenger.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I'm running the carb recommended by GMPP - Holley 770 Street Avenger vacuum secondaries. I have changed the squirter from .025 to .031 and the vacuum secondary spring from the medium to the lightest - yellow one. On may car with just the spring change it did pick up a little mph and E.T. with the lighter spring. I talked to an Engineer from GMPP on the Hot Rod Power Tour. He told me he worked on the ZZ383 engine development. He told me to change the squirter to .031 due to the more volume in my intake - Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap. I have not changed the jets. I have only made 16 quarter mile passes so far. I'm sure I'll be doing some more tuning. For timing I have it at 35 degrees. I tried it at 32 degrees per the instructions that came with my engine. The car slowed down immediately with less timing. I set it back at 35 degrees and it picked right back up. I made a few passes with each single change to verify. I think my engine would run even faster with a little more timing.

What trans and gears are you running?

Do you need a Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Vortec? I have a brand new one I'm going to sell.

Craig

I'm running the carb recommended by GMPP - Holley 770 Street Avenger vacuum secondaries. I have changed the squirter from .025 to .031 and the vacuum secondary spring from the medium to the lightest - yellow one. On may car with just the spring change it did pick up a little mph and E.T. with the lighter spring. I talked to an Engineer from GMPP on the Hot Rod Power Tour. He told me he worked on the ZZ383 engine development. He told me to change the squirter to .031 due to the more volume in my intake - Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap. I have not changed the jets. I have only made 16 quarter mile passes so far. I'm sure I'll be doing some more tuning. For timing I have it at 35 degrees. I tried it at 32 degrees per the instructions that came with my engine. The car slowed down immediately with less timing. I set it back at 35 degrees and it picked right back up. I made a few passes with each single change to verify. I think my engine would run even faster with a little more timing.

What trans and gears are you running?

Do you need a Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Vortec? I have a brand new one I'm going to sell.

Craig
How much for the intake? I bought an eps for more hood clearance. Im going to run a czf trans with 3.73 gears and the same exact converter as you.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app