Modifing a low milage car. Your thoughts?

I have restored a whole bunch of orignal cars to the T.

Usually what I choose to restore are cars that are rare, odd, or simply sought after becuase of there options. The only reason I choose these cars is becuase it's fun to get down to the nitty gritty and try to make things as perfect as they can possibly be.

In my opinion though, restored original cars are quite boring once they are built. They give people the opportunity to buy a car that they would have like to have had when it was new.

Now, if the car really has no extreme oddidity, mod the piss out of it and have a blast!! I'm building a 31K mile Grand national right now that should run a solid low 10 second pass. Why do such a thing to such a low mile car......why not???!!!!!:biggrin: I get really bored looking at original cars at car shows. Actually I pretty much stopped going to them becuase I get so bored with seing them. I'd much rather look at something custom or something that is somebodies unfinished project. I like hearing their stories and their future goals.

With an original car, it's just the same old story....same old boring car!!!

50k is low mileage but it's not THAT low. Hell i'd mod the piss out of it even if it had original drivetrain and good original paint. It would hurt the resale in that situation, but who cares? Who you gonna save it for? Paint it and mod it.

If it weren't for people flogging these things and other people seeing the results, they would have no value to anyone in any condition. They'd just be another oddball 80's car.

It needa paint ,it needa motor and trans. It is by far not a virgin.
I would do things to it that even Ty wouldn't do to a farm animal....

It is more difficult to restore a car 100% show original and fool the experts then it would be to just build a killer modded one.

Mod up.......:biggrin:

I have restored a whole bunch of orignal cars to the T.

Usually what I choose to restore are cars that are rare, odd, or simply sought after becuase of there options. The only reason I choose these cars is becuase it's fun to get down to the nitty gritty and try to make things as perfect as they can possibly be.

In my opinion though, restored original cars are quite boring once they are built. They give people the opportunity to buy a car that they would have like to have had when it was new.

Now, if the car really has no extreme oddidity, mod the piss out of it and have a blast!! I'm building a 31K mile Grand national right now that should run a solid low 10 second pass. Why do such a thing to such a low mile car......why not???!!!!!:biggrin: I get really bored looking at original cars at car shows. Actually I pretty much stopped going to them becuase I get so bored with seing them. I'd much rather look at something custom or something that is somebodies unfinished project. I like hearing their stories and their future goals.

With an original car, it's just the same old story....same old boring car!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This guy is the reason I am CONSTANTLY changing things on my frame-off back-to-original restoration 85 GN.......and why my 42,000 mile 87 T is no longer a virgin!!!:eek::eek:

And guess what?? HE'S RIGHT!! MOD IT AND ENJOY IT!!!! :biggrin:

It needa paint ,it needa motor and trans. It is by far not a virgin.
I would do things to it that even Ty wouldn't do to a farm animal....

It is more difficult to restore a car 100% show original and fool the experts then it would be to just build a killer modded one.

Mod up.......:biggrin:

Mod that beotch like it owes you money and drive it like you stole it :biggrin:

I am gone Ronnie for 24 hrs and you take a shot at me about a farm animal :biggrin::eek: you better go count your sheep ;)

I wish I could. Right now the car is covered with ice and snow in my driveway. The paint is dirty (blackened) from all the years of sitting. I worked out a small spot on the trunk and it came up real nice. I prep solved it, claybarred it, cut it with 3M compound and polished it real quick. Problem is that it's so cold that I don't have the ambition to do any more until it warms up. After I clean the paint up I'll take some pics. Until then it's disapointing to look at.

its your car make it the way you want it,we can't take this stuff with us so be happy with it.mod away:biggrin:

Mod it and enjoy it. I have always been a big advocate of making a car your own. I won't knock the guys that like to leave 'em stock. That's what they enjoy, more power to them. But if modding is something you like, do it and have fun!

I had the same thoughts when i first bought my GN. I bought my 87 GN with 60,000 miles from the original owner, the interior was perfect. came with all the books, papers, window sticker even the rusty jones undercoating warranty paper. I didnt know if modding it would lower the value. but after thinking about it, i did a few simple mods, and was much happier. the car was faster, and ran better. I saved all the original parts, Now Im going way out, girdled motor, all forged and roller components and race ported GN1's. After a lot of debate, a lot of people actually like the modded cars better. I saved the original parts I figure in the future the new owner can just throw the stock motor back in the car if he wants with all the parts.. I Like that idea of bagging and tagging everything with the mileage. I have boxes in my garage Thats not a bad Idea at all.

Good luck either way you go..

Why keep it original for SOMEONE ELSE TO HAVE SOMEDAY? Who cares about the next owner? Do what YOU want to do to the car. All that matters is that you enjoy it.

All the time and money you put into keeping it original ( or reversable ) ... wont be worth the enjoyment you lose out on over the time you own it IMO ---

50K miles isnt really low mileage. ull modify sooner or later so u might as well start now

Looks like majority rules. I might as well get out the sawzaw. J/K. I'm gonna do my own thing with this car. I have been around turbo regals since the mid 90's and this is the first one I have ever owned so I'm real proud of it.

The car is origanaly white. I'm gonna paint it Olympic White like ones I've seen here because the brighter white looks great. I have always had Weld wheel on all my cars. I really want a set of Centerlines for this one. The Telstars are one of the best looking G-body and the new C-line split spokes looks awsome as well.
The interior is bone stock. I'm gonna put in a new CD player, 4 new speakers and 1 amp with 2 10 inch subs. I want this car to be a true driver car to be enjoyed. I'm also gonna keep the guages to a minimum. Boost on the piller and Oil/water in the console.
The motor will be all the crap in the signature.
rebuilt 3.8 with ported heads, big valves, 210 cam, 65MM t-body/plenum, 3 inch up/down pipe and 4 inch inlet. injectors are 83lbs and turbo is CPT-66 w/ p trim. Intercooler is a 24row Keith Mease with the fabricated shroud.
Fuel system is going to be an Aeromotive A1000 with braided 1/2 line into the stock rail.
Thats pretty much it. so hopefully no to hacked up.

the only thing i'm stuck on right now is the computer system. I really want to run an XFI but don't know if the budget is going to allow it at first. I need to find out what options I have with the stock computer. I realize that a chip can be burnt but doesn't the computer have to be changed to work with the high impeadence injectors? Who does that?

Than maybe I can use a P/L and and W/B to tune.

What do you guys think?

Stock Computr,Turbo Tweak chip and 60lb inj is all you should need..and some alki

+1 and you can go a block down the street from work and get some tuning help :D go with a speed density chip they work really well :biggrin: havent forgot about you the cars just been sitting with the holidays, we gotta spec out a converter in the spring :D oh and we have very similar combo's fwiw

me and my father have gotten into this debacle a few times hahah but in the end it all comes down to the fact that if you dont enjoy it someone else will... i dont kno about you i got mine to enjoy to the fullest extent!!!:biggrin:
plus if you find one like yours that has not been messed with your not correcting someones mistakes and thats a huge time saver

plus if you find one like yours that has not been messed with your not correcting someones mistakes and thats a huge time saver

There is no motor or tranny in it............:rolleyes: