MODERN day GNX....SLEDGEHAMMER

slowcar

Banned
This car is called the "SledgehammeR"

I own a couple of modern day GNX's .... what is this? This is a CL65 Mercedes coupe...
THE MOST POWERFUL PRODUCTION CAR IN AUTOMOBILE HISTORY!!!!!!!....yes gents...this car came from the factory with 612hp and 738 lbs of torque...DETUNED...

It is in the books ....the car produces more torque then any other car every built period... HP? only the ENZO has a few more HP and the Mclaren F1 and ZR1 .but none of them produce the torque figures.... Torque moves A CAR ...not HP......The car is classified in supercar editorials as having the most powerful engine ever built ...

Since it is detuned...It is actually capable of 670hp and 880 lbs of torque but AMG felt the tranny would be on the brink of disaster and set the power back...a few guys have had the ECU reprogrammed and the tranny can take 1000 lbs of torque.....AMG overbuilt this car as Buick overbuilt the 3.8 TURBO

Only 194 were ever built in this body style...ONLY 194...AND LESS then 2600 cars have ever been built with this drivetrain since 2005....compared to
close to 30k Turbo regals built in the 2 years with the legendary 3.8 sfi turbo

What makes this car so special? What made the GNX special? low production numbers and power?And the fact it was made by a outsourced co. Called ASC.... This CL65 is all that and a bag of chips...HAND built by AMG...super low production ..206 mph ungoverned top speed and it runs the 1/4 in low 11's with air conditioned seats and messaging seats....Reliable?... more reliable then our 109 motors are....not one has blown PERIOD....I am an avid fan of TR'S ... owned many .. MANY... but this Mercedes is a pinnacle of what the GNX once stood for....Comfort..class ,speed and being INCOGNITO....

Also AMG through on set of 8 piston calipers with 15.6" rotors on the front on this car.... one thing ASC didnt do back then... add a better braking set-up.... all those balls with brakes made for a honda........back then brakes werent a issue.... nowadays... cars stop as well as they run..

Does it look fast? Not really ....it is sinister and mysterious....damn right!!!Like the GNX.... and it will whip your Vette's ass and your Lamborghini Murc's ass as well!!!!!!

The original MSRP was $184k on this car.....

only 194 built in 2 years.....

Go drive one gents...it is the smoothest fastest car you will ever drive in your life...I PROMISE you...

The GNX was ahead of its time...and so is this car....it was built to beat ferraris and lambos yet keep you comfortable....The GNX was the same....

A link to one of my cars for sale on ebay....More info and a AMG production number link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merc...274QQitemZ320335995274QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

ZR1 has a Little More Hp not more torque.....

The ZR1 has 638 hp and 604 lbs. of torque...

add a K&N filter set to the CL65 and it will be around the 625 hp mark

oh and the torque on this bullet comes in at 1800 rpm ......

It weighs 4700 lbs and still click off a 11 sec . 1/4 mile....

regardless.... the facts are set in stone.... the point is that the GNX stood for a high-tech well engineered auto of its time as this rocket does...
The CL65 is only 6.5 litres yet.... produces a ****ping 600 plus hp.... yes Turbos do makes the difference.... lol

IT IS A 6.5 twin turbo v12......

I had an AMG supercharged.

Open rear diff from factory Boooooooo.

What you got? Open also?

What the cost for the factory 50k mileage service??

What are some of the "minor" troubles that occurs with these car and what are their cost??
I bet they aren't cheap...

Beautiful car and impressive but all work will be $$$$$$$$$$ and them some.

Gary

One of the great things about the GNX was you could parts for it pretty easy, is that the case with an AMG?

1 Small Problem If You Have Ever Owned A Mercy Before You Know Why We Call Them Mercys Cause When You Go To Have Them Worked On Thats What You Will Scream!! Everything On Those Cars Is A 1000.00 Bucks Minumum No Matter What

Ha for that money id get a lingenfelter twin turbo vette and beat the brakes off the benz....226 mph in the standing mile...

Man that was one of the best sell pitches ever :) Nice car I've rode in 1 of these by the way. they are super fast

Don't want to burst any bubbles here!

:p I know this discussion is about the fact that Mercedes had the fastest production car, but not the fastest on the street:rolleyes:

The is a Mercedes dealer ship not to far from my area and the owner has one of those cars, very nice car and it is fast, but his mouth is faster:p

Mynbuddy and I were in the area looking for a new car for his wife and we had stopped by and my buddy was in is 2005 Stang. The owner of the dealership was bragging how fast his car was and it would blow the doors off of any car in this area. We seem to hear that alot everyone has the fastest car on the streets out here, must be in the water.:cool:

My buddy asked how fast it runs in the quaters and he stated 11's all day long. He also stated that was stock.

So my buddy asked if he would ever want to race and time, and of course the dealer stated anytime anywhere.

Long story short they raced and my buddy smoked his ass with a 1990 Mustang 5.0;)

The dealer was bitching left and right it does not count cause the car was not street legal. Yet it has plates, titled and insurance.

Moral of the story the is always some buddy bigger and better out there, what is fast today is slow tomorrow

so new I pay 184,000 or wait four years and only pay 49,500...Personally I would put the 49,500 into a decent GNX (plus a few thousand more) that will go up in value versus waiting for the benz to level off. In 2 more years youll find them for 25,000. (cl65) that is. And hope you dont have the air ride susp go out, thats about 2500 per corner. With all the fiber optics issues those cars have...headache!! but maybe thats why they are becoming more affordale to buy...Mercedes makes it up on the repairs.

My car is the Original BUICK Sledgehammer. :biggrin:

Attachments

• May 2000 Inset.jpg
    May 2000 Inset.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 875
  • IMGP1878-1.jpg
    IMGP1878-1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 862
I AM BACK.....sorry for the late response...

Lingenfelter? not for $50k which is a steal for this Benz...

Repairs? the car is under warranty for another 8 months.. and then an extended will be put on ... I sell them through Daimler Chrysler.... that will take the car to 5 years more and 60k more miles.... I dont think anybody will keep it that long... have a problem... take it too Mercedes dealership...have some great coffee and a rental car and come pick the car up the next day for anything minor....thats is folks

If someone wants to keep the car longer then the warranty well then they will have a legendary car.... who knows where the car market will be in 5 years..... sad thing is even when all the people who care about the GNX and GN's die off who will want them anymore? The newer generation dont really car for these cars like we use to .... too many faster and more modern cars to buy nowadays.....

Repairs? Like I said warranty ... You dont have to look at the car for years to come.... but overall they are incredibly reliable for what they offer... put the same Lambo or Ferrari up to it and the CL65 is Lexus territory all the way...

The ABC suspension can have problems but it blows the earlier set-up away as for as reliablity.....it is about $4k all corners... and it is a failed item on about 5% of the cars built.. My Uncle is a Mercedes Mechanic.... he's been working on them for years... there is less issues then you think and most of the problems come from abuse and lack of maintenance...

Faster or more powerful ?
11's is as easy as stepping on the gas.... I ran a 11.49@123 with no slicks and yes it was STOCK.....$2500 is all the cost to get another 75hp and 130 lbs of torque out of her...

Well I can get a real nice 9 second Stage 2 limited... it will set me back maybe $25k.... that is a faster car then mine.....but again I could make the payments and drive a car like this for more then 2 1/2 years for the cash to lay out for a 9-10 second Buick....but the CL65 is simply the most powerful PRODUCTION car built... not the fastest street car....is offers something no other car does...COMFORT and SPEED.....and it is a blast to drive.......

Yeah they may drop lower in price but so far they are holding real well in the $40's which is STUPID cheap for this car...and they will for some time...mainly because of the fact that only 194 were built ...not too many around and a lot of owners arent so willing to give this car up....it is a hard car to replace....$25k?.....I dont know of any cars that have 600hp and a warranty selling that low....

My advice to anybody who hasnt driven one.... go take a ride... if you can find one at a lot... if not well I have atleast let everyone know this car is a phenonmenal piece of automobile engineering.........

I have been offered a GNX.... not interested... I have 2 cars in storage now.... and I dont want another....I cant take a trade anyhow... but regardless I would not trade a supercar for a GNX... I know the value of the GNX...... but I can drive this car and enjoy this car... it is a level of engineering and quality the GNX isnt even 10% near.....I have owned a GNX and many many Buicks...... but I feel one GN is no different then another... the GNX is awesome but is drives and looks no different then my GN except the value .....the car is really the same thing........ and I take my GN out maybe 12 times a year now.... but I would drive the piss out of this car and have no worries about the miles going up and wear being put on it.....

nice car- how much to get it back to pa?or at least nc