Mobil 424 fluid for the trans?

jdhogg1

87 GN hardtop
I've been searching on here and can't find a difinitive answer as to whether this is a good idea or not.

Who has run this in their cars for a while, and have there been any problems?

424 is good stuff, but do not run it with a lock up converter.
Take care, Kip

I've been running it in my car with a lockup converter for 2 years and no issues. I have never heard of it being bad for a lockup converter before. I don't think it is.

Every lock up I have ever seen it used in has ended up failing. Me, Lonnie Diers and Bill Thompson all ran accross this years ago. Firechicken whatbrand of converter are you using? How many miles and what type of useage?
See ya,Kip

I ran it (generic tractor hyd trans oil) in my Chevelle with a stock type lockup for a year or two without problems.

I have a PTC 10" lockup with about 5000 miles on it. It is a street strip car, mainly street driven, although has had a number of runs, some locked as early as second and others in 3rd or 4th.

So, not a lot of action, but enough that I'm not worried. I should also note that I too run the generic stuff, from Wal-mart, as the Mobil stuff is hard to come by easily where I live.

Ok let me make it clear again what I said, do not use Mobile 424 with a lock up converter. As for other "tractor fluids" I cannot comment as I have not tested those.
Just trying to help, Kip

I have never been about the brand. I don't think it matters really. They all meet the same specifications and standards.

We have all heard stories from our best friend's, father's grandfather that ran Quaker State in his car, didn't change his oil for 6 years, did eventually with Valvoline, had engine noise, so went to Pennzoil and now it is like a new engine. Nonsense.

I think I'll just play it safe and run synthetic trans fluid. I run a lockup and the trans would be expensive to replace again.

Thanks for all the input!

Running NAPA Tractor fluid (same specs as Mobil 424) added a few quarts of Dex for color in the event of a leak...tractor fluid is almost clear. This was recommended to me by Bruce (PTS Extreme) and also Chris from CK. Bruce told me brand didn't matter and that the NAPA brand was perfectly fine.

hth,
Scott

I have a PTC 10" lockup with about 5000 miles on it. It is a street strip car, mainly street driven, although has had a number of runs, some locked as early as second and others in 3rd or 4th.

So, not a lot of action, but enough that I'm not worried. I should also note that I too run the generic stuff, from Wal-mart, as the Mobil stuff is hard to come by easily where I live.

PTC as in PTC in Alabama or as in Pat's?? The PTC is not recomended to be locked at WOT. You can do it on a lower powered car (12's) but it will fail eventually due to the single disk design.