Mitsu Evolution VIII MR Killed

New Mistu Evo VIII MR gets killed from a 65mph roll on freeway, we pull up to about 100mph and put 4 cars on him, needless to say he gave much respect to the GN. Those little things are pretty quick, I could tell he wasn't stock , had lotsgauges huge front mount, exhaust, and probably running bigger turbo and above stock boost, Fun run nontheless.

You know that they come with fmic's and can run low 12's (IX) with around $500 in modifications.

Nick

I've got about $1,500.00 in mods done to The Major. This includes a clutch replacement at 3900 miles. 2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII MR edition in Graphite Gray Metallic. One of only 1000 units shipped to the US for the 2005 model year. She has run a best of a 12.44 @ 112 on 93 octane running 24psi. Out of all of the cars currently available today, these (Evolution VIII and IXs) are the only ones that come close to having the bang for the buck equivalent to a Turbo Buick. If you never mind the initial cost of the car, I'm talking money spent to mod one and make it respectably fast. Truth be told, there are quite a few Buick owners on this site who also own Evos. ;)

Patrick

DSC00284.jpg

good kill -- as others have said, those cars can be pretty quick when modded. i've got a friend that has an evo 8 with cams, tune, and turbo-back that i have yet to run. i like those cars -- they are some 4 doors that would actually be fun to drive! i was surprised at how roomy my buddy's was when he got it.

Ya, I got my eyes on an EVO 8 here localy :D

Anyhow nice kill...exspecaily from that speed.

I beat one at the track a couple of weeks ago. Friggin track was so slippery I got a 2.7 60' time. Naturally this meant I had to catch up to him, which I did. I don't know if it was stock or not - the only obvious mod was a carbon fiber hood. I put a decent amount of space between us, but given my crappy launch I think it was probably stock. I only trapped 114 and he wasn't too far behind.

I think they're neat little cars and have often considered one for a daily driver. Maybe once the kids are out of their car seats I'll get one.

Jim

if i were going to buy any of the new turbo 4 bangers, i would probably have to go with the srt-4. they have similar performance potential to the 2 awd cars, but seem to be much cheaper. AWD must be nice, but i don't think it would be worth the price difference. if i had 30 grand to drop on a car, i would probably go for one of those turbo soltices/skys.

:biggrin:

My best run was 13.2@101 stock with all season tires. Also best trap of 103mph, and constant 1.7x 60 ft's. Not bad for a stock four banger.

turbojimmy, definatly check out the wrx wagon if you have kids. Alot of room, power, and extreemly safe. EVO's dont come near in the safety aspect, but are faster bang for the buck.

SRT4's :lol: Check out their driveablility with 400fwhp (even with the lsd), driveability with higher hp (fast in a straight line from a roll with slicks), safety :eek: , and how well they hold their value...
A galant VR4 would be a better chassis to start with. :cool:

Nick

good kill -- as others have said, those cars can be pretty quick when modded. i've got a friend that has an evo 8 with cams, tune, and turbo-back that i have yet to run. i like those cars -- they are some 4 doors that would actually be fun to drive! i was surprised at how roomy my buddy's was when he got it.

Ha neither of you must be 6-4' 235, i took one out for a cruise and was really cramped. Good cars but only if your not to much bigger than the jap that built it though, ha.

Ha neither of you must be 6-4' 235, i took one out for a cruise and was really cramped. Good cars but only if your not to much bigger than the jap that built it though, ha.

My buddy that is 6'3" has an '04 WRX with moon roof is close to the roof, but not touching. He used to have an '03 w/o a moon roof and was not near the top. My other buddy's dad who is over 6'5" said that the WRX was comfortable. The seat was all the way back and reclined a bit, but nothing bad.

All of my friends over 6' feel very cramped in the GN.

Nick

ps. being 5'9" has it's advantages sometimes, fitting in an Elise ftw. :D

My mechanic, who has built many very fast cars over the years recently built an EVO for himself. I looked at it, 2900 lbs. or so MR version, mods from here to the moon. Car looked very comfortable/nice. I doubt my TTA could ever catch him with some of the dyno numbers he was coming up with and he is getting I thought around 34 mpg. I will be going for a ride soon though it will probably give me a heart attack (the fun kind!!!), most of his stuff does.

89 TTA #162, 38K miles. Built motor (3k miles), frame connectors, 70mm TB, twin pumps, 3" DP with Aero-turbine, massive intercooler, 3.42 rear, non-lock art carr tc, FAST B2B wide band O2, 75 lb. injectors, T67, RJC power plate... **RIPNAIR PROJECT - 10 second car that gets 30 MPG on the road**

One down side to the evo is it's high price and has the highest insurance rate of any car in America.

I find my self conflected on the subject of these two cars. These cars was actually built with ralley sport racing in mind. I just can't see spending that much on something to simply drag race. I would buy one of these in a heart beat if we had a Ralley track. That is some serious fun. But for all out drag racing, I simply think one could do the same if not faster for a lot less. Now on the other hand, it sure sound nice owning one with todays 3.50 a gallon price for super unlead :eek: I have actually parked both my vehicles :( It's cheaper to drive my wife's vehicles...as crazy as it sounds. The Tahoe only gets a few more mpg than my truck but it doesn't need super unleaded either.