Metal dash overlay piece from Kirbans

Mike70gtx

Has anyone bought the metal overlay piece for the upper part of dash to replace the plastic piece that cracks. This is the part with the speaker grid and defrost openings. Seems like a cheaper, maybe better solution, but just want to make sure it looks decent.

I had Dennis put it in my car to see what it looked like last yr at the open house. It looks great the fit is nice color matched. I must say it's a good alternative if you can't find a nice original grill.

i just received mine... still have to repaint [my interior is tan]... anyway it looks nice, fyi.... it is not meant to replace the cracked original... it is an overlay, it shouldnt rattle, but it all depends on the install and what you use as the bonding agent....

..."it's a good alternative if you can't find a nice original grill."

I'd say it's even better because an original grille (new or old) will still crack sooner or later, but this one?...never! Put one on and be done once and for all.

Claude. :wink:

Appreciate the comments....currently it is the only option available as the plastic GM upper dash panel is no longer available. If you find one expect to pay $200 or more and like was mentioned it is bound to crack in time.

Our solution is simply to cover the factory cracked warped one without spending a lot of money.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

If you oblong the holes in your plastic one alittle it won't crack. Gives it just alittle room to move.

How does it look when overlayed over the old/ cracked piece? Can you see the original piece underneath or does the new overlay hide/ shield it? Anyone have a pic of one installed in the car?

The overlay we make hides everything unless yours is so back and warped.

As to enlarging the holes good idea problem is most are cracked by now and sunlight still will make them crack in time.

Our overlay does have the the holes to secure the screws it s a cleaner looking piece part number #7303 can be seen on our website.

Its just one possible solution to the problem.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Pic here

Pic of Dennis' dash overlay with orig piece as reference:

Attachments

• dash%20panel.jpg
    dash%20panel.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 344
Hard to tell from the pic, but does the overlay have the slotted grille areas so that front dash speaker sound can project?

That's pretty slick. I'll keep it in mind since mine is not just cracked...it's in 2 pieces.

Maybe a silly question, but if you adhere the new overlay to the top plate and you ever need to remove the top plate to access the speakers or what have you, do you have tear off that overlay to get to screws?? Seems like you could potentially damage, then both pieces depending on what type of adhesive you used.

Maybe a silly question, but if you adhere the new overlay to the top plate and you ever need to remove the top plate to access the speakers or what have you, do you have tear off that overlay to get to screws?? Seems like you could potentially damage, then both pieces depending on what type of adhesive you used.

Yep.... depending what adhesive you use, you could damage your damaged dash panel as well as your overlay..... best bet would be NOT to use gorilla glue or construction adhesive:rolleyes::p.... maybe some semi-permanent or 3M light/medium duty tape....

or you could drill holes for the screws and permanently bond it [which i may].... still undecided:confused:

aaron

To answer the questions:

Our original sample did have all the factory holes in it. Problem is it look dumb with big round holes in a flat piece of steel.....it just didn't look smooth or nice looking. Also the holes for the screws would serve no purpose as far as securing it to the dash panel.

You don;t need any strong adhesive...even velcro will work.

Remember your plastic dash panel is already busted so the damage is done....ours simply sits on top of it. no rattles.

It does have the correct vent slots for speakers and the other small l perforated hole and of course the slots for the defroster.

Again it is a quick design part to hide the eye sore of a busted dash panel.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

However, a buyer can easily drill the holes in it if they wish.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Yep.... depending what adhesive you use, you could damage your damaged dash panel as well as your overlay..... best bet would be NOT to use gorilla glue or construction adhesive:rolleyes::p.... maybe some semi-permanent or 3M light/medium duty tape....

or you could drill holes for the screws and permanently bond it [which i may].... still undecided:confused:

aaron

I would def use some light duty double sided tape. I do know some people that would bond those two pieces permanently and then wonder why they can't get the piece off.
Thumbs up to Kirban for another great product!