Mazda Protege 5 ?

Sleeper

Any Mazda Protege 5 owners out there?
I'm thinking about picking up a 2002, and wanted to get some feedback. Likes/dislikes, pros/cons, what to out watch for, gremlins, stuff that need to be done after x km/miles (timing belt, etc. ?)

Thanks,
Paul

My buddy has one, he bought it when he was a mazda service writer. They have a problem in many w/ cold start knock, some have it badly like his does. Mazda does nothing for this, his is still strong and running well w/ 100K on the clock, still knocks hard at start up, but goes away everytime in a sec or two. Sounds bad though.
It appears to be a "keep the oil changed and it'll run forever" car

They are relatively good cars. The timing belt is due every 60k miles. They did like to eat rear brakes and tires. If it has the factory wheels the tires are an oddball size 195/50/16. If you get one do not install the factory Dunlop SP9000's. They wear out real quick and make all kinds of noise. Other than that, keep all the fluids changed and dont beat the snot out of it and you should get many worry free miles out of it.

James

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have also read that the rear swaybar endlinks are weak. Just don't want to buy something I am always having to work on. My 86 Prelude Si is finally dying :( (aside from routine maintainance, she was flawless) and now want to pick up something reliable. The Protoge 5 caught my eye.

Paul

There are American made cars that fit that bill too.........try supporting America for a change instead of a foreign government.

There are American made cars that fit that bill too.........try supporting America for a change instead of a foreign government.

For what it's worth. Ford owns the controlling shares in Mazda :eek: and has manufacturing facilities in Flat Rock MI (and all over the world)

But come on ! Bit of a reality check here... As sad as it may be, we now live in a world where most of what you think is American made, is in fact made offshore, or some major components of it are. The once great "American companies are now farming out portions (if not all) of its manufacturing to third world countries and such, where labour is dirt cheap, and there are no hassles over environmental concerns.

You do the math. You work hard for your pay check, and expect to be paid a decent wage, so you can live at a reasonable level of comfort. As a consumer you want to be able to buy whatever it is that you need, at a reasonable price. The problem is that most of the guys making the stuff that you want, want to make a profit, and are driven to do so. He adds up his labour costs, raw material costs, operating overhead costs, etc., and realizes that it will cost him more to make it, than he'll be able to sell it for, (and make a profit) if it is priced so the average working Joe can afford it.
So what does he do? He finds an area where he can cut costs. Hmmm he says "I'm paying average Joe $25/hr to work on the line to make my stuff, and he wants medical, dental, sick days, employee discounts, etc. Or, I could pay Mr offshore $2/hr and make him work 12-14hr days, not have to worry about benefits, health and safety, or any of that stuff, and I can make a huge profit again." I think I'll pick option "B" but will try to keep it hush hush :wink:

If somebody wants to get rich, somebody has to pay! Fat cat CEO's are still making million dollar bonuses and crying the blues. Funny, I didn't get a bonus last year, did you? :rolleyes:

I know I'm on a bit of a rant here, but as you can tell by now, were in trouble. Reality is, most volume manufacturers are multi-national, and parts are made and assembled where ever is cheapest, and financed by whoever does the best deal at the time. The good old "buy USA" just ain't working the way it used to until some changes are made.

BTW I'm Canadian, but we sit in and share the same boat as you guys do.
Peace

Paul

Telling a Canadian to support America...priceless! Dwayne, get with program. Most Japanese cars are made right here in the USA, by American workers. I dont care if a little money flows overseas, this is a global economy we live in. When I bought my Toyota Tundra, I wasnt thinking about my money going to Japan, I was thinking about how my money was going to the men and woman in Indiana who built it. Would you rather I buy an American car built in Canada or Mexico? BTW...the war ended along time ago, get over it!:rolleyes:

James

Keep digging that hole deeper boys.......or better yet, pack up your stuff and join them.

Keep digging that hole deeper boys.......or better yet, pack up your stuff and join them.

???
Dwayne, are you in complete denial? Did none of my rant make any sense to you? I understands that it sucks, but sad to say, it's the truth. Dont be angry at us. Take a look at the sticker or tag on the back of any of your stuff, and you may see " Made in _____ Assembled in the USA" or the reverse. Some of the things you are buying, (thinking you are supporting American made) isn't actually.
Something has to give when competing in a global market.

Paul

Paul,

What you said makes perfect sense but the problem is that some people just refuse to listen to logic. The world has changed but they will not accept it.

Do you really think the board at Gm. / Ford / Chrysler actually give 2 $hits about you or your well being? No, they care about profit. Hense why they all have plants in other countries. Why is it he thinks the profit from the car actually stays in the country? Benefits you how exactly? Helps pay huge bonuses, I forgot.

I'd love to know how many of those flag wavers driving domestics actually have a car/truck built in N. America. Not as many as THEY think.

Whatever helps him sleep at night. :rolleyes:

Its too late, someone already bought it from Ford..I mean Mazda, he'll be buying it used from a dealer in the US more than likely (or even a US citizen selling themself. P5s are no longer made.
Always humors me to see someone get pissed for buying "import rice" to find its as American as a Ford.