May 2003 GM Hight Tech Performance Mag

I like the magazine. Granted finding a Turbo Regal in there is tough, but considering they only come out half as often as other magazines, they are doing pretty good. They probably feature a hell of alot more Turbo Buicks than the mags that come out twice as often. As for them always covering F-bodies, well they are popular, and help sell the magazine. They can't sell the magazine to only Turbo Regal owners, and still hope to make money. I get disappointed when there are no Turbo Regals in it, but they are more likely to have one than any other magazine out there. I'll keep supporting them. At least until they do a feature on one of my cars. And considering the condition of them, they will have me as a customer for a long long time.

Brian

My sentiments exactly.

Starting with the July '03 issue, you will have more Buick tech and much more variety in the magazine––I guarantee it.

Originally posted by Rob Raymer
Who's Ray? I assume you're talking to me. But yes, I mean cover shot and article (it won't be the largest car on the cover though). The story should cover several pages.

Sorry ... I was typing too fast this morning. I did mean Rob ;)

I was just checking ;)

It will be great to get a TR writeup in there!!! (just as long as our car didnt get pushed behind) ;)

Jon

Originally posted by rick j.
My sentiments exactly.

Starting with the July '03 issue, you will have more Buick tech and much more variety in the magazine––I guarantee it.

I was going to write that the GMHTP guys don't even visit this board anymore....

Personally, I don’t find any problems with the content of the magazine. LS1 or 6, LT1 or TPI, Turbo 4.3 or 3.8… it is all the same basic tech information. It can be applied in principle to any engine.

I have a Turbo Regal, and while I enjoy seeing them in there… there are just so many that don’t offer anything new or innovative in terms of build & specs. The LS1 cars are still less than 5 years old and are interesting in that all of the secrets have yet to be uncovered. It also helps that Amy (my GF) drives an LS1 Camaro… it offers US something to share. So as long as there are LS1s, Turbo 6s, forced induction and fuel injection I am going to buy it off the shelf. :)

LT1 and TPI don’t interest me because I can’t relate to the platform.

And yes, Magnum TPI was awful. :eek:

You know what my favorite car mag is right now? Car Craft. I like their tech stories. Their featured cars seem like "real people" cars. They have an attitude. Above all, it's just a fun, entertaining read. Their article on cam lobe separation, where they took 3 cams with identical lobes and put them on 108, 110, and 112 centers and then dyno tested them was a great story idea. Their story on restoring an old Edelbrock intake, also great. Simple, yes, but an interesting story. I don't think I've seen a story anything like either one of those in another magazine.

I let my subscription to Popular Hot Rodding drop. On the whole they have some good tech in there, so I learn from it, But:
1. I hate the cars they feature. Sure, they are fine works of automotive art, but that is not what I like, and not what I want to see. I like lower budget cars, something I would be proud to own and not be afraid to take out on the highway for a road trip.
2. Their writing style is... boring. It's not a fun magazine to read.

GMHTP is slowly adopting both of those attributes... I hope it does change Rick! I used to really like the magazine.

John

waste of my hard earned money

I purchased quite a few issues. I don't even think they are good enough to wipe my @ss with. :eek:

Hubby tossed it on the coffee table and said they should just start calling in Camaro high tech magazine. Kinda sucks... :eek:

i love the mag.. dont have a sub to it, but when i do grab an issue off the newsstand (which is hard, because gmhtp is not sold around here at all ) i do enjoy them.. even if they cover ls1s.

ls1's are my main target/competition now..

feature buicks would be nice, but tech articles on them is a waste of space. come on guys, if you know anything about buicks, you probably learned most of it RIGHT HERE.

anything they publish about tech is gonna get an attitude from you guys, because 99.9% of the time you already saw / learned that online a month ago... if its new technology the inventor / innovator most likely will post about it here. if they do an article in the mag its gonna take a month before you see it.

when it comes to buick guys, it seems like ALMOST everyone knows about all the tricks of the trade.. and everyone should be running mid 11s or better, its just that
1. some cant afford it
2. some cant tune it

so, based on that, anything in that magazine is going to get critiqued by you guys in a pretty negative way cause either you saw it first on tb.com / gnttype.org a month ago, the magazine didnt tune it well enough and should have at least gotten another 3 tenths and 3 mph out of that combo, etc ,etc ,etc.

PERSONALLY... i like the mag cause i like most gm efi cars... i dont care either way about the buicks cause if they do a tech article, like i said it doesnt really interest me cause they can pick anything in the world related to TR's and most likely ive already read about it on here or gnttype.org.. and if they do a feature on a car, hell the owner is going to be a member here and probably already has a website dedicated to his car. why read about something in a magazine that you already found out about a long time ago???

the internet itself is my 'buick coverage' for any magazine. think about it, with maybe 50,000 total sfi TR's built over 4 years, we have a pretty freaking huge online community. sure the LS1/LS6 guys and mustang guys have a bigger community, but they both have about a million more cars built than us.

most of you guys are right, give up, cancel. no matter what happens you arent gonna be happy with it. im going to keep picking up a copy when i find one.

Originally posted by TType84
i love the mag.. dont have a sub to it, but when i do grab an issue off the newsstand (which is hard, because gmhtp is not sold around here at all ) i do enjoy them.. even if they cover ls1s.

ls1's are my main target/competition now..

Why wouldn't you subscribe to it then?

because i am a poor college student :)

the only subscriptions i have are christmas presents, car craft was $10/yr for 2 years and my grandpa got me that. and i barely have the spare time to sit and read it, cause im always checking up on this board and a few others..

$16.95 isnt much though to most of you guys who are settled into great careers, but to me, especially right now (got offered a barely used pro-pain kit for $400.. had to scoop it up), i need to save the cash.

Originally posted by TType84
because i am a poor college student :)

the only subscriptions i have are christmas presents, car craft was $10/yr for 2 years and my grandpa got me that. and i barely have the spare time to sit and read it, cause im always checking up on this board and a few others..

$16.95 isnt much though to most of you guys who are settled into great careers, but to me, especially right now (got offered a barely used pro-pain kit for $400.. had to scoop it up), i need to save the cash.

In this day and age i understand completely!:cool:

In the issue my car was in, it was the fastest car in that issue, except for one: Jack Cottons. Both photos and captions were less than 2 inches square. I still love camaros and firebirds, but christ, theres got to be some faster than 13.0. You see a fast one every once in a while in there, but mostly weak slow ones. Like that f body shootout a few months back. Ghey. Fastest one was like 12.9. Seriously people, my car was that fast stock, and I can't drive for crap. I realize we account for a very small percentage of their readership, but at least do some stories that are current, and worth while. Like the T+ story. Nice review, about 2 years late. I bet the next Tr tech involves a dump pipe and air filter. Yay. I know the TR coverage is gonna be small, but at least make it worthwhile for us to read about slow ass camaros for the other 5 issues a year. Eaton posi?? Thats not TR tech, thats rear end tech. There are so many products out there guys want to hear about, alky, etc. Maybe even do a 6 cylinder egt sampling on a power plate install!! j/k. I will continue to buy the mag to support the idea behind it, besides its funny to see guys get all hyped up over a 13.x in their camarobirds!

i have always liked the magazine anyway,but in the past 6 months one friend of mine has bought an lt1 camaro and another has bought a supercharged gtp.so at this point my suscription copy of gmhtp gets passed around like a doobie at a dead show:D.there is rarely an issue that one of us doesn't get something out of.

later,sean

NCTURBOS,

The amount of creative input that I have in the magazine has changed.

As always, thanks for the suggestions for story ideas, TB members.