May 2003 GM Hight Tech Performance Mag

gnXfan

GNless but Debtfree too!
My subscription will not be renewed.

Whole mag = 1 pic , the size of our Avatars.

Even vendors seem to be advertising less.

Bye.

Dang this sucks, is this a newer one than the one where they spent an insain amount of money on a Eaton posi? I always look forward to my new one to come, but I'm usually disappointed. Did they run the grape of wrath with the new opti? They need to learn to tune cars themselves, they rely too much on shops. Remember the turbocharged LT1, that was awesome until they blew it up, they blow up every car the build up. Magnum TPI was a big dissapointment as well.

I'm all done too! They need to publish it monthly so they can cover more. Tired of waiting 2 months for TR stuff, then if they don't do any it turns into 4 :( Thanks but no thanks, Adios

I know what you guys mean, I hate not seeing turbo buicks or TTAs every issue too. But I look at it a bit differently than you guys. This is the only magazine where you have a reasonable chance at seeing a turbo buick or TTA once an issue. Try getting that in any other magazine. Sometimes they do not deliver and sometimes they do (All Buick issue). For $16.95 a year for 6 issues I will take the shot and support the only magazine for GM EFI cars. I blow more $$ than that cruising around in 1 night I can certainly spend it on a magazine (actually 6 magazines) and possibly see some cool pics and get a few good articles. I also don't mind seeing the TPI and LS1 cars too. These guys stepped up and made the magazine what it is and they cater to a very small group of people. If their circulation was higher, they could go monthly but with people cancelling because they do not go monthly makes this a self-fulfilling prophecy that is not good for GM High Tech. There are probably more f-body guys who buy the magazine too, which means they need to do more f-body articles to keep them happy otherwise they would cancel their subscriptions. So I understand what you are saying but I think we need to understand their position as well, and it must be pretty hard for them to please everyone once every two months.

I agree, 1987 GN. I will continue to support the mag because where else are you going to see TR articles? But, I have never seen one single TTA story. Not one. And I've only seen one Syclone story. I know the F-body crowd is a lot larger but I wish they would feature some TTA's and Sy-Ty's. I'm sure there's plenty out there to choose from.

Yeah I agree as well, it is a good read, I do like F-bodies, but you never see an article on SY/Tys or TTAs like stated above, heck even a 3800 II supercharged car would be intersting to see. The mag has a lot more potential but I just think they are heading more towards F-body high tech performance. I did really like ther Jack Merkle (sp) engine build up, I followed it to a T and so far so good.

I had a subscription last year and wasn't very impressed. The stuff they put in there about TR's was dumb and wasnt much help and didnt apply to anything I wanted to learn or hear about. I just stop in Borders or B&N's every once in a while and look at it. Usually isnt worth buying. True that they do cover TR's here and there, but there's also the problem of weeding through all the LT1s and LS1s. I like those, just dont wanna read about 20 different ones in each mag:rolleyes: So oh well, I've got enough stuff to buy for the GN w/o blowing $$ on a magazine.

Oh yeah and I'd also like to see them build a hot air car, i mean they are building a tpi 305, so i don't see why not.

Originally posted by 86brick
Just make sure you pick up the July '03 issue cause Rob Raymer's Stage II '87 TR that runs high 9's will be featured!

http://www.ls1motorsports.com/Project-87TurboBuick.asp

I don't know about that date ...... I'm glad our photoshoot (days before that shoot) was better weather

Soon the magazine will be all about GTO's and Supercharged W-Bodies (GS, GTP, GXP, Impy SS, Monte SS)

Noone doubts the GN's or thinks they are not equal to the newer cars....just look at the demographics, and that is why there is 1 issue that has Buick's featured.

I think the advertising has not been going down too much....for instance we are placing our next ad as twice the normal size that we usually do. A few shops seem to be on really hard times right now and seem to really be cutting back.

Jon

Yes, we will be featured in the July issue (on Newsstands in May). And you're right....the weather sucked! On the beach, and 40 degrees.....just my luck.

FWIW, I do think the only way to ever get GMHTP to go into higher circulation, is to continue to support them. We have also increased our Ad size, and will continue to support them as long as they live up to their name.

There are more factors involved with becoming a monthly magazine than most people realize. For instance, all the sudden instead of us spending $20,000/yr in advertising with them, now we need to spend $40,000/yr. There are a LOT of companies out there that simply couldn't afford it. And without advertising dollars, the magazine can't exist. Keep in mind, we (turbo Buick and late model owners) are a select few in the world of automobiles. Not that I think this isn't rapidly changing....but we have to face facts. This magazine caters to the "almost new" still under warranty cars, AND fairly often, turbo Buicks (as compared to the other mags out there). Who else features 15 yr old, 2 year production run cars?

If you want to see it change, actually write GMHTP after you get the next issue with a Buick in it, and tell 'em how much you liked it. And how seeing features like that will keep you renewing your subscriptions. At the same time...tell 'em what else you'd like to see, and "suggestions" on how they can improve. I think that will go a lot farther than slamming them on an internet forum.

That's my nickel's worth.

aww come on you guys that camaro is gorgeous...tho I would like to see a better balance.. a lot of fbody cars lately...I haven't even seen one with an article on a TB but it is only my third issue so I will wait..

I threw the latest issue in the trash.
I see that mag as playing the lottery. Most of the time you lose, but every now and then..."winner, winner, chicken dinner!"
I'll keep playing the GMHTP lottery.
Looking forward to seeing Ray's car.

Yeah this sucks. Even if they featured more "average" buicks, at least one per issue, I would be much happier. Look at the gutted 12.2 sec stock T/A they just featured. If they can do that then they can do more plain jane TR's too. And I too would love to see some hotair cars in there. I hope someone from GMHTP reads this thread and takes it to heart.

1 BUICK PER ISSUE OR I'M DONE!

Don't care if it's 10sec or 13sec, perfect paint or not. I just want some more TR's!

Originally posted by Rob Raymer

If you want to see it change, actually write GMHTP after you get the next issue with a Buick in it, and tell 'em how much you liked it. And how seeing features like that will keep you renewing your subscriptions. At the same time...tell 'em what else you'd like to see, and "suggestions" on how they can improve. I think that will go a lot farther than slamming them on an internet forum.

I agree.

Ray, when you say featured did you mean just an article --- or covershot and article?

Jon

Who's Ray? I assume you're talking to me. But yes, I mean cover shot and article (it won't be the largest car on the cover though). The story should cover several pages.

Its all about variety...

...whick GMHTP does not have!!:mad:

I was a subscriber for 5 years and finally cancelled last year. There are enough Chevy Camaro rags on the rack!!

I love our TR's as much as the next and would like to see more on them. But I would also like to read about a ZR1, Typhoon/Syclone, superchared W-body, etc.

Hey Johnny H.!! VARIETY!!

K.

Originally posted by Zero Tolerance
I threw the latest issue in the trash.
I see that mag as playing the lottery. Most of the time you lose, but every now and then..."winner, winner, chicken dinner!"
I'll keep playing the GMHTP lottery.
Looking forward to seeing Ray's car.

My sentiments exactly. And my issue went right into the trash too. Didn't even re-read it to see the buick ads, which as I mentioned, are down to 1 that I remember. (There may be more but its in the trash so I cannot confirm that;) )

I'll second that... I've been a subscriber from the beginning, but I think I'm going to let it lapse. I'm not dying to see a TR in every issue, but I want a little variety. Article after article on late model F bodies... I'm bored. Talk about Camaro Craft, sheesh... There's other stuff out there. Would love to see some old GM iron converted to EFI for example. That would fit in with the spirit of the mag and be a good read.

John

Hey I'll agree to that! Variety is a great idea. A TR in every issue would be nice but I'd settle for more syclones, typhoons, and vettes too. I'm just sick of all the F-bodies.