Max Effort experts here

PsychoBuickBoy

The Money Pit
OK fellas,
This weekend I slapped in my newly rebuilt tranny and freshend 3500 stall converter. I also swapped out my TE62 with a LT70 (got a good deal on it) and threw on a V4 in place of my stock IC. Tranny is all set to go and shifting great. I have the .63 'quick spool' housing on the turbo now was time to see if this thing will spool! So here it goes....
Surprisingly, the turbo is spooling fairly quickly (just as good as my TE62). It hits 19 psi in 1st and keeps it through 2nd then hits 3rd and bogs down to about 15 and slowly creeps back up. My O2's during spool up are right in the 760-770 range, also through 2nd gear. I hit 3rd then the O2's rise to about 810 and boost falls but rises back slowly. Also, my alky is comming on at 15 psi and I have no knock through out my run. I have my ME chip set on the lower timing ranges(19º), if I turn it down a click I am too lean through 1st and second. Can't I pull some fuel out up high through my chip?

Also, my ME (16pos) chip is reversed to what it should be. For example, setting 1 is the fattest fuel setting and as you go up it leans out more. Probably a simple mistake when the chip was made, really no big deal as long as you know it is in fact reversed to what it should be. Anybody's elses chip like this?

you sure those thumbwheel positions are reversed? Is that what Steve said?

it really sounds to me like you are way rich....0-4000 spoolup should look like maybe 300 on the 02's....after the first time by 4000 rpm, the fuel curve switches to WOT setting (thumbwheel setting)

another possibility is you have a HD actuator and with the boost set low, doesn't have enough spring pressure to hold the wastegate shut in 3rd gear...mine does that anywhere under about 20 lbs......guess the solution is a bleeder valve...what kind of boost control are you using?

you can change the WOT fuel by changing the offset in pos "A" (when the engine is off) more numbers adds fuel, less subtracts....takes 16 clicks to go one position

you really should get an egt to tune with Steve's chip....02's don't mean much

we can prolly help ya...

Woody

Thanks Woody,
I have an SMC EGT gauge that I need to throw on. I will discontinue trying to tune with the O2's until then. I was guessing the settings were reversed because that is exactly how my O2's behaved (at WOT) as I switched them. Setting #1 was showing about 860 at WOT versus setting #6 which showed low 700's and some popping! I have had this chip for a while but have not got to play with it because I had the ailing tranny. So, this is the first time I am actually playing with the settings and it seemed to be behaving in reverse to what the instructions say (of course using O2's to gauge this).

I am using a Turbonetics control valve for boost with an ATR external waste gate (HD spring). I bet you are right about being rich. I guess the only real way to remedy this would be using the EGT gauge I have sitting in the garage!

Of course if the chip does still seem to be reversed (I may just be crazy) I will mail it to Steve and have him verify.

Todd

Todd,

Read prom ID on Tlink or DS for TW position. On scanmaster it is INT.
Make sure it = actual TW pos.
Sounds like way overrich even on pos 1....Don't run straight alcohol unless you are too lean. Mix 40% water. This will lean you out and make power.
Steve

Thanks Steve. I would have emailed you directly but couldn't find your address. I will try to start mixing in water to my denatured to lean things out. The car is running like a bat out of hell! I got to thinking about what Woody said about the WG actuator not staying closed in 3rd gear. If it did start to open and lower my boost then of course I would see richer O2's. It may not be the fuel mixture that is causing my boost to go down. I know the solution is really to get my EGT gauge on and see what is really going on. I will give up this discussion until then!

So, if I set my Scan Master to the INT position it will show the actual position of the thumbwheel? Is that what you are saying? I will check it out and let you all know what I find.

Todd, remember when using the egt, you need to get it dialed fairly close before the readings mean anything.....for example, don't be surprised if your egt reads very high (like 1700 or so) if you are indeed rich.....dial the fuel down and you'll see the egt go down until it starts to turn back up....then you are there and can do some serious tuning....don't believe what you see the first time.......if you are close, less fuel/more boost would increase your egt......the opposite is true if you are way off

every car is different as to what egt works best....mine seems to like high 1400's.........to keep gaskets intact...another motor liked 1600........just gotta experiment (or get a wideband 02....)

Woody, I am sure I will be seeing you again down at Speed World in the near future. This time though, I have my own slicks so I wont be your 'pit bitch'.;) See you around, Thanks!

Todd

Just one more thing.......If I do find I am indeed just running mega-rich even on the lowest setting, would I just simply take the the fuel pressure down some? I am currently at 45#'s static.

I think you'll find a setting that works....then you can change the offset to center it.......don't wanna mess with FP ...... if you can't find one that works, talk to Steve

I also swapped out my TE62

Are you going to sell your TE-62?
I tried to e-mail you about it, but it was still an "@home" address.

Thanks
Jim

You need to leave the FP at recommended and put 40% water with the alcohol. Then, if still too rich turn the boost up and/or cut down on water/alcohol...
Hope this helps
Steve