Massive oil leak inside turbo

baller760

Hello guys,

Well, bad luck has struck me once again with my Turbo Buick. Recently the exhaust has been smoking like crazy with my BLM's at 142 at idle. First I thought it must be the BLM issue but then I looked at my turbo today and noticed leaks coming from the exhaust side which connects to the elbow and near the middle where the oil line is. I also removed my intercooler and noticed oil all around the throttle body which means it also entered the intake manifold and the engine. I have provided a link to the photo album of the turbo on Google Photos and links to videos of the shaft play from YouTube. What really sucks is that this turbo only has about 500 miles on it and was a brand new Ta-60 when I bought it. Oh, before I forget the pictures of the chewed up blades and the dry exhaust wheel is from my stock turbo which I took off after I found out it was in such dire shape.

Pictures:

Picasa Web Albums - royclark24

Video:

#1 YouTube - TA-60 Turbo Shaft play
#2 YouTube - Turbo Shaft Play 2

So what is your recommendation? How much would it cost to rebuild the stock turbo with those chewed up blades and similar shaft play to the Ta-60? What about the Ta-60 turbo? What's the cost I am looking at to repair this one? Also, if I were to sell both of these turbos or send them in for a core fee how much could I receive towards a Ta-49? And is there any Ta-49 that isn't $800 new? When I bought the Ta-60 two years ago turbos were still running like $600 brand new.

I'm not sure why there was such a massive leak, my oil pressure is around 25-35 psi at idle if that is any consolation. I use Valvoline 20w-50 racing oil because of the ZDDP additive in it. Otherwise, the car runs fine with no signs of missing or rough idle at all. No error codes or abnormal reading on my scanmaster other than the BLM's being 142.

Thanks for the help guys.

The car has failed 2 turbos in short order? There might be an oiling issue to the turbo supply line or an issue with the supply line itself. I think you should have both turbos torn down by the same guy (someone who does turbo rebuilds and sees lots of turbochargers frequently) and try to determine root cause. Could be debris or lack of lube.

Perhaps Precision Turbo could help, or John Craig at Limit Engineering. Or just find a local turbo rebuilder....

Full Throttle Speed has new "economy" turbos which are the least expensive I have seen in a while. And you can trust them.

FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Store Front Page

Well actually, the stock turbo had over 100,000 miles on it but this newer turbo had between 500-700 miles. I think it may have been an issue with using Valvoline Racing Oil from Autozone. It has ZDDP in it which is why I bought it but it is 20w-50 which is way too high.

Valvoline racing oil is good stuff. That's not your problem I can asure you that. I run valvoline 20/50 in my car per my engine builder

Well actually, the stock turbo had over 100,000 miles on it but this newer turbo had between 500-700 miles. I think it may have been an issue with using Valvoline Racing Oil from Autozone. It has ZDDP in it which is why I bought it but it is 20w-50 which is way too high.

I run the Valvoline 20W50 too. It's good stuff.