Man...Did Artest....

I agree there were a few people to blame here.
We were talking about this today at work as someone was upset that he was suspended.
I said that if the same thing happened at most peoples job they would be fired and probably not be re-hireable by the same employer regardless of who started it.
I just think it is funny that this is his job and it's basically a slap on the wrist. He is very lucky if all he gets is sued and suspended.

If Wallace only gets suspended for 6 games, then he should have the priviledge of paying the costs of any and all lawsuits that come about. The entire incident was the result of his crybaby attitude over a hard foul that wasn't even that hard.
:rolleyes:

I think the whole thing is funney. Just be glad it was beer and fists being thrown and not bullets being shot. At least Artest gets the time to promote his rap album now. (What a joke.)

burnout

Originally posted by southern boost
So let me get this right ,if you were in line gettin beer and a guy threw beer on you ,you wouldn't whopp his ass or at least try .

One thing I will agree with artest should be gone he is not right for the game ,but I disagree with the actions against ben wallace couldn't take a foul and was mad because they were losin at home started the whole thing and the other wallace eggit on which is BS .

The fans acted like a bunch animals I take my kids to games and i would be ashamed ,if one of our local college games went that crazy .

Finally I believe if oneal is gone for 25 games the same for wallace because oneal did not leave the court he defend himself ,so wallace was swingin on the court ,so the same for him what do you guys think?

Randy

If I were at a game, I'd have my son with me, sooooo sorry, but if something like that happened, in no way would I fight somebody with him around. My point was, for what these guys get paid, they should show some restraint. They are suppose to be professional players, which is why they get paid so much. There was nothing professional about that. I wondered about the person Artest went after. Since he had a beer, we didn't think he was the one.

the game was over before the fight started in the stands correct?

i cant believe the spectator rushed onto the floor and got clocked in the face!
he went walking up to one of the players looking for an autograph and WAMMO right in the cokcsucker!

LOL

Originally posted by Dan K
Now when Artest threw the punch at the guy in the Pistons jersey that walked onto the court...that shouldn't be held against him.
I'm sorry but I must wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. The "rules of engagment" so to speak aren't suspended during a sporting event involving fans and players.

The legal standard here is whether or not Artest was actually defending himself. I'm sorry but a guy who you outweigh by about 100 lbs., stand a good foot or more taller and are much better shape isn't a match for a highly trained athlete in superb shape. At the point the fan "squared off" against the Indiana player there isn't anything to convince me the player was in any danger of an imminent assault. Had the man made an OVERT move to attempt assault (lunged, swung, kicked or drew a weapon) then than changes the legal standard at which someone doesn't have a choice to defend themselves. There is no jury in Oakland County (where I am a deputy) that'll buy the fact Artest needed to take the action he did which was a punch from 20' feet away.

Originally posted by Buick From Hell
If Wallace only gets suspended for 6 games, then he should have the priviledge of paying the costs of any and all lawsuits that come about. The entire incident was the result of his crybaby attitude over a hard foul that wasn't even that hard.
:rolleyes:
I'm not a basketball or Pistons fan. But many shoving incidents over questionable fouls are commonplace in the NBA. Usually it results in ejection from the game AT MOST but most commonly by a technical foul. Because others act like animals (fans/player) becuase of a shove after a hard foul doesn't mean the players in the bad foul should be penalized by the poor actions of others.....

Bottom line is that those responsible for bad behaviour will be held accountable for that behaviour. It's NO excuse for others to stoop to that behaviour because they disagree with what they witnessed. If you do then you're just as guilty as the first ones to do it.

Originally posted by burnout
I think the whole thing is funney. Just be glad it was beer and fists being thrown and not bullets being shot. At least Artest gets the time to promote his rap album now. (What a joke.)

burnout

I was thinkin the same thing !! Maybe the next game they will have there gun's ready !!:eek:

VIDEO news reports and full coverage of the melee. Coverage from the fight itself to press conferences with the Oakland County prosecutor and Auburn Hills Police chief. Good stuff....enjoy.

Years ago I used to be ardent NBA fan but havent watched a game of "basket brawl" in many-many years.From what I see its just a bunch of street thugs playing the game now.I wouldnt go watch them play if it was free!!

Long gone are the days of Jerry West,Elgin Baylor,Bill Russell,John Havilcek,Wilt Chamberlain,Bob Petit,Wes Unseld,Bob Cousy,Dolph Schayes,Jerry Lucas,Willis Reed,etc.These guys had some respect for the game and were respected by the fans.

By the way I think the slam dunk should just be one point.

Originally posted by TT/A1233
I'm sorry but I must wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. The "rules of engagment" so to speak aren't suspended during a sporting event involving fans and players.

The legal standard here is whether or not Artest was actually defending himself. I'm sorry but a guy who you outweigh by about 100 lbs., stand a good foot or more taller and are much better shape isn't a match for a highly trained athlete in superb shape. At the point the fan "squared off" against the Indiana player there isn't anything to convince me the player was in any danger of an imminent assault. Had the man made an OVERT move to attempt assault (lunged, swung, kicked or drew a weapon) then than changes the legal standard at which someone doesn't have a choice to defend themselves. There is no jury in Oakland County (where I am a deputy) that'll buy the fact Artest needed to take the action he did which was a punch from 20' feet away.

What? Watch the video you linked us to again. At the 48% point the guy that walks out onto the floor walks right up to Artest and starts jawing with him. And you're going to try to tell me that guy wasn't making an imminent threat towards Ron Artest? I think he most definitely was.
Artest threw a punch at him and the guy kept coming...if it suprised him or shocked him he would have retreated. That's basic human instinct to try and protect yourself from danger. In no way did that guy try to protect himself, he went straight towards Artest after the punch was thrown and even raised his right hand to retaliate. Why in the hell was that guy even on the court? Maybe he was asking for an autograph? :rolleyes:
Do I condone what Ron Artest did, no...he's a raging penis. The Bulls knew it, that's why they traded him. He repeatedly refused to seek help or take his medication...so they shipped him out.
But the idiotic fans that were throwing things and running out onto the floor are just as guilty of being dopes as any of the players who went up into the stands.

Let me ask you a question. If you're at a boxing fight, and a guy from the crowd runs into the ring during the middle of the fight and advances on either of the fighters (in the same manner the guy in the Pistons jersey approached Ron Artest), does that figher have the right to deck the guy?
Shouldn't they view that as some sort of threat against them?
I most certainly think so, and if that guy gets dropped on his ass that's his own fault for being in that ring.

Same thing with the fan that ran on the court and confronted Ron Artest.

They all acted sh!tty. I just thought it was funny that the guy walks on the court...enters the space of a already very heated Artest while wearing a Pistons jersey:confused: WTF. He could have removed himself from the mix. He must have drank to much liquid confidence.

What? Watch the video you linked us to again. At the 48% point the guy that walks out onto the floor walks right up to Artest and starts jawing with him. And you're going to try to tell me that guy wasn't making an imminent threat towards Ron Artest? I think he most definitely was.
Artest threw a punch at him and the guy kept coming...if it suprised him or shocked him he would have retreated. That's basic human instinct to try and protect yourself from danger
As you already stated above the guy "started 'jawing' with him" That is in no way an immenent threat of physical harm. Bad words isn't an excuse to try to blast someone in the face. A stance of someone much smaller to you "squaring off" DOES NOT meet the legal standard of someone posing an immenent threat of bodily harm. Had he made an attempted strike would have been different but I'm speaking from the perspective of a police officer in Michigan. Had you watched the video of the Oakland County prosecutor answering questions about that very thing you would understand. Artest could have simply walked away and that's EXACTLY what the prosecutor said. Your first obligation under such circumstances is to retreat unless there is NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE. Whether you agree or not, that's the law. The fact he squared off at the Indiana player on the court is irrelelvant.

Artest threw a punch at him and the guy kept coming...if it suprised him or shocked him he would have retreated. That's basic human instinct to try and protect yourself from danger.
Sorry to disagree again but Artest threw the first punch without an overt physical action on the fan's part. That's not legally permissible. Artest was NOT in danger. He's' much bigger, stronger and in better shape. That IS taken into account and IS the law. Had the guy made an overt physical attempt to harm Artest then that would rise to the level of self defense.

What if your wife made a fist and said bad words toward you? Is that justification to blast her with a right hook....NO. It's the same standard.

In no way did that guy try to protect himself, he went straight towards Artest after the punch was thrown and even raised his right hand to retaliate.
The fan DID NOT charge at Artest first. He squared off at him and Artest blasted him...that's not self defense.

Artest threw a punch at him and the guy kept coming...if it suprised him or shocked him he would have retreated.
Artest threw the FIRST punch at the fan. The fan was assaulted first and had a reason to defend himself at that point. The provaction by the fan is not a reason for Artest to throw the first punch. Sorry, but that's the law in Michigan and in most if not all states. Artest should have retreated, it's HIS obligation if confronted by someone threatening a physical confrontation, if at all possible and it was in this case.

Why in the hell was that guy even on the court? Maybe he was asking for an autograph? :rolleyes:
He had no justification for being on the court. However, it doesn't justify Artest throwing the first right hook because some dope was in the wrong place squaring off.

But the idiotic fans that were throwing things and running out onto the floor are just as guilty of being dopes as any of the players who went up into the stands.
Both sides were out of line. The players should have taken the high road and as they say "two wrongs DON'T make a right". The fan who threw the cup at Artest would have been dealt with the RIGHT WAY. But since Artest took matters into his own hands and administered how own justice he must now answer for his actions. I guarantee he'll have to answer to Assault & Battery charges and with his past may result in jail time.

Let me ask you a question. If you're at a boxing fight, and a guy from the crowd runs into the ring during the middle of the fight and advances on either of the fighters (in the same manner the guy in the Pistons jersey approached Ron Artest), does that fighter have the right to deck the guy?
In the State of Michigan (and in most states) the legal standard of "self defense" must be met. Just because some dope climbs into a boxing ring and squares up against a professional boxer without throwing a punch or making an over physical attempt at the boxer and the pro boxer hits the guy first guess who's in serious trouble.....the boxer. Harsh language, an agressive stance, finger jestures or someone who's irate WITHOUT an overt attempt at physically striking the other party doesn't justify throwing the first punch.

Shouldn't they view that as some sort of threat against them?
I most certainly think so, and if that guy gets dropped on his ass that's his own fault for being in that ring.
Sorry, but Michigan law requires a retreat unless there is no other alternative. From what I saw, Artest could have turned around and left the court and he should have done just that. A subject being in an unauthorized area isn't justification for a player to deck a fan. That's the job of security and the police. A basketball player's job is to shoot hoops, not be the court police. Artest was waaay out of line and the warrant and civil suit will vet this out.

Same thing with the fan that ran on the court and confronted Ron Artest.
The fan "confronted" Artest. He DID NOT make an attempt to physically assult him. In the eyes of the law Artest should have turned around and left. Situation resolved but Artest couldn't do that because he (and the fan) were thugs and Artest took the first shot. If Artest had waited for the guy to take a swing at him he would have been 100% justified in physically defending himself and/or decking the guy as he did.

In conclusion, you may or may not agree with this but I guarantee the Oakland County prosecutor will issue warrants based on this doctrine. IT IS THE LAW.

One question for you. You're out and about and some guy 30% of your size, weight and physical abilities starts insulting you then puts up his fists. As he's standing there would you haul off and blast him in the face?

Remember when people thought Matlock wasn't cool?

Now everyone thinks they are him.

This isn't a clear cut case and someone who only has access to ESPN video isn't qualified to talk about what is and isn't as though it were fact.

Testimony and eye witness accounts will come into play, perception of a threat is also a factor....if Artest felt he was in imminent danger then that is a factor. As BS as it may be.

Opinions are fine....it's just when everyone suddenly starts thinking they have a law degree and a crystal ball that things get confusing.

On SportsCenter this morning they had found the guy who threw the first cup that hit Artest. I think Green was his last name. Had his season tickets revoked. Turns out he's on probation for assault an 3 DUI's, and isnt supposed to drink any booze. They had a clip of him talking to reporters saying he couldnt believe what was happening. Then they showed the clip of him throwing the cup, grabbing Artest in the stands then smacking him in the back of the head. The dude was a tool, he should let the NBA guys rough him up some.

That's another dope who's in serious trouble. He lives in West Bloomfield MI and will face Assault & Battery charges too.

I don't claim to have a law degree but have been practicing law enforcement in Michigan for 15+ years. I've submitted requests for A&B warrants to the Oakland County prosecutor's office which were granted for much less. I don't claim to be an attorney but this is police work 101.

On a side note, eyewitness testimony is one of the least reliable forms of direct evidence only becuase 5 people can witness the same event from the exact same perspective and give vastly different stories. The witnesses can give CONTEXT to the video but the video doesn't lie.

Artest trying to convince a jury here in Oakland County that he felt physically threatened by a guy 20' away who tossed a beer filled cup at him for him to charge and beat the hell out of the wrong guy will be like trying to climb Mt. Everest in the nude. Won't happen....

TT/A1233
Dang your good- i agree with you 100% on most of what youve posted-

I still believe the guy who got knocked in the cokcsucker was not at fault, once the game is called, is it ILLEGAL to walk onto the court? im not a basketball fan, too violent LOL!

Let me ask you a question. If you're at a boxing fight, and a guy from the crowd runs into the ring during the middle of the fight and advances on either of the fighters (in the same manner the guy in the Pistons jersey approached Ron Artest), does that figher have the right to deck the guy?

The game was called, OVER, DONE, FINAL, NOTHING LEFT, SCOREBOARD WAS 00:D

Does that make anyone on the courts open for a asswhoopin? No way Jose.

I would definitely play the autograph ticket and see how long he can ride it, might pay a few hundred thousand or more-

PEACE
BW

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
TT/A1233
Dang your good- i agree with you 100% on most of what youve posted
Thanks. I have no personal stake in this outcome and am not a basket-brawl fan either. I'm a realist and am applying the law the best I know.

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
I still believe the guy who got knocked in the cockholster was not at fault, once the game is called, is it ILLEGAL to walk onto the court? PEACE
BW
To my knowledge it's not illegal to walk onto a professional sports field, although I think it may be after this fiasco. I suspect the Legislature will take up this issue sometime soon. I think it'll be somewhat easy language to draft to make it a crime for fans to purposely enter upon or into and disrupt a professional game in progress. I think fans pouring onto a court/field after a victory in celebration could be a possible exception. I mean how could prevent a flood of 5,000+ celebratory fans. Those situations are diametrically different.

I don't think fans have any business entering into a game in progress...EVER! The only law I know here in Michigan that may apply is Disorderly Conduct. The solution to ending this appaling behaviour is multi-faceted. The stadium should restrict alcohol sales, there needs to be an outline of fan conduct on every ticket, there needs to be a media blitz about expected fan conduct at sporting events and the ramifications for violations along with posted signs at venues and more severe NBA sanctions for vile player conduct. I think that'd be a great start.

I saw this guy interviewed on MSNBC this morning (its the only news channel i get i wouldnt be watching this crap if i had a choice)

Basically to make a long story short this guy is a total dirtbag "thug" and im glad the guy that actually threw the cup also got to beat artests head for a few punches. For some reason you dont see that part of the clip though on the highlights they keep replaying