Mal Code 42

87-WE2

Back in business!!
I posted in General Tech & got no responses, so I thought I'd post here just to see.

OK - so I got my new TT5.7 and 60's in. Runs smooth. Stumble at lock-up in 4th is gone. 0.0 KR all the time. Never got any knock at all after the new chip & injectors. The coolant temps were even cooler. WHEW!! Glad to be rid of the ATR Pit Bull. Enjoyed it so much I drove for 3 hours on Sat night just enjoying a smooth ride. But the car's a little weaker than before, so I figured it's time to do a little tuning.

Coolant temps were around 165 (which I find good), and o2s were high - about 850 @ WOT in 3rd. BLM's were a little low at 118-120. All this indicates to me that it's a little rich, so I pulled 1.6% WOT fuel out in all gears (#01 set to 126). Temps came up to about 175 and BLM hit 126 and 02s leveled out at 800. I figured I'm there. Left #01 alone.

Still haven't hit any K$ at all (well, OK - 1.2 KR, but on a downshift from 3-2, but it only happened once). I figure it's time to start playing with timing a little to try & tickle the knock sensor. I set #03 (1&2 timing) to 134 (2.1 advance). I also set #04 (3&4 timing) to 131 (1.1 advance). Still no KR in 1 or 2, but a consistent 0.2 KR in 3rd. I didn't have the balls to go fast enough to see what would happen in 4th. By that time, you're going pretty fast!! I figure I'm there in 3-4, but still need to work on 1&2 timing. Car feels great - almost like before with the Pit Bull chip that had too much timing & lots of KR.

Set #03 (1&2 timing) to 137 (3.2 advance). Still 0.0 KR in 1&2, so I figure go up a degree at a time till I hit the sweet spot. I bump #03 (1&2 timing) to 139 (3.9 advance). Crank it up, put it in gear, TURN ON THE HEADLIGHTS and SES comes on! Thought it might be an electrical fluke, so I turned the lights off. SES stays on. Well crap - I check & mal code 42 which is EST circuit failure (ignition module to ECM). Huh. WTF? I know i can unplug the orange wire & clear the code, but my fuel and timing settings disappear. Not knowing what this code means, I thought it might be unsafe to drive, so I cleared the code. I put the settings back to my "tuned settings (I had written them down), start her up, pull away, hit the headlights, and BOOM - SES light on again code 42. WTF? I noticed that it was weaker than before, but I didn't know anything about code 42. So I reset the ECM again, leave the chip at the default settings and drive around for about 30 min. trying to pull another 42. Didn't do it. I only get the code 42 when I play with my chip settings.

So I come home & do a little research on code 42. I learn that when this code is thrown, the ECM Spark is disabled and the car runs on the ign module timing. That explains the weaker engine feel.

Anyone have any ideas? what could cause a code 42, but only when timing & fuel has been modified? If I had a bad pin on ECM or ign module, wouldn't this code be thrown regardless of the timing & fuel settings. I have driven the car for a total of 4 1/2 hrs. on default settings & no code. A full tank of gas & no code. The only connection i can see with the 42 is when I went to 139 on the 1st & 2nd gear timing advance.

I have a brand new coil pack from Kirban (I bought a Delco first for $140, but took it back when I found it was made in China), new High Boost plug wires custom made by blackgn1, new Autolite plugs (not Chinese like Delco's).

I will be playing with this thing more, but will go about it systematically as before. I think I'll start by advancing timing to 137 in 1st & 2nd only to see if I get the 42. If not, bump to 139 & see if I get it. If not, add timing to 3-4 and so forth. Maybe it's just a weird combination??

Is my tuning theory even correct? I've confused myself.

I agree. Try the 137 first, see what it does. If it still triggers the fault drop a couple more digits (135 maybe). See what actually is triggering the fault.

BTW, what are the default values for the 1/2 and 3/4 timing in that chip, that you're adding to?

I've seen this happen a couple times before. Let me send you a replacement chip to try first, before you mess with anything else. In the meantime, try this, after making a chip adjustment, leave the key off for 10 seconds before starting the car.

Eric

TurboDave - I believe the default values are 20* in 1-2 and 18* in 3-4.

Eric - Thanks for the response - I will try that if I get the chance tonight. I was zooming through the adjustments and am certain that I didn't wait 10 sec. before starting the car.

I've seen this happen a couple times before. Let me send you a replacement chip to try first, before you mess with anything else. In the meantime, try this, after making a chip adjustment, leave the key off for 10 seconds before starting the car.

Eric

Eric - finally got a chance to try it out tonight. The 10-second rule worked like a charm. I duplicated the previous settings and waited a little more than 10 seconds before keying back on to start. Never got a code. Bumped 1-2 timing up to 141 and I'll drive it to work in the morning to see, but I kinda doubt it'll throw a code. if it does I'll go back to the drawing board.

Thanks for truly excellent service after the sale.

I think next is a CAI